This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

Origin use to be shit house, but I don't mind it now. Thankfully they have smoothed out the faults that were present in the old version.

Deleting the old USB drivers and re-installing them seems to have worked.

Now to update my GPU and RAM. I'm currently looking at a AMD Radeon 7970. Does anyone have the 7970?

I saw it run Crysis 3 and it looks amazing. My Radeon 5980 (overclocked) is getting a little long in the tooth.

2. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I have a 7950 and no complaints, though a friend of mine has had issues with multiple iterations 5xxx and 7xxx series ATI cards. Things like stuttering in Skyrim and unplayable crashing in RAGE. He moved to Nvidia and had no problems since. He is what I would call a graphics card guru- way, way more understanding than me. His opinion is that Nvidia is just better at getting the correct configuration information for the latest games out with new versions of their software and then however that is modeled in the driver doesn't seem to break over time. His said that ATI also breaks aspects of performance on older games due to poor regression analysis in new versions of their drivers and then takes a long time to fix... if ever. Of course the other thing you get with Nvidia is the slow uptake of Physx. Downside is usually cost. But then most graphics card phloggers must think we are all insane anyway given the prices they are charging for high end cards and the performance difference between high end and midrange.

I had a problem with Crysis (not 3) using my 7950 but it wound up being related to running with a multicore CPU. When I disabled multicore in the game software I was able to progress past the boss on the deck of the aircraft carrier.

Here's a thing: if you don't buy games until they are at least 12 months old, you save a lot of money on games. Furthermore, since you're not buying the latest and greatest software you also generally don't need the latest and greatest hardware to max out the detail settings. Saving you even more money. In addition if you wait for the steam or other sales, you save even more. If you want the latest and greatest for a better price try ozgameshop.

3. black_tooth_grin

black_tooth_grin www.anwarrizk.com

I had a think about it and I realised that I don't play as many new games as I do old. Crysis 3 seems like a pretty demanding game and to only upgrade my PC for that seems like a ridiculous idea.

Regardless of my GPU's age, it still performs quite well under tough situations. I'm running Battlefield 3 in ultra mode with no issues. I think I've under estimated the power of my GPU.

In terms of both Nvidia and Radeon. I've had more issues with Nvidia than the latter. My previous rigs contained mid range cards which overheated constantly and just didn't do their job. However, with time I'm sure I'll be able to make a better judgement once prices and new tech becomes available.

I'll most likely just buy more tri channel RAM as that is more cost effective for my gaming demands.

Thanks again for your help with the USB drivers. Once I connect a device it works instantly. Along with a newly cleaned Antec 902 case, I'm quite satisfied with my computer's performance now.

4. Stupid White

Stupid White Shop Smart, Shop S-Mart

5. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

the slow way is to google every app and see what it does.
    if you want a really good way to get rid of it, even the hard to remove fragments which clog the shit out of your comp or cause errors, download Revo Uninstaller and team that up with the registry scanner in CCleaner.

Another trick is to simply do a reinstall and only add what you want through the driver disc.

If you are using Win8, go to websites like gizmodo and lifehacker since they have Win8 guides or you can look up other ones in google.

6. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I bought Windows 7 for my netbook via download a few years ago. It's like to reinstall it but have no idea what the product code is. Any ideas on how I could find out? I can't find it in my inbox and figure I may have printed it out.

7. Shadow298

Might be best to check the serial number via the control panel systems and then email MS directly asking if they can supply you with the details.
    Other than that, no ideas, sorry.

8. Winmar

No worries, that sounds like a reasonable way to approach it. I'll give that a try.

9. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

10. Winmar

Awesome, I'll give that a shot first! Thanks!

11. Shadow298

Do anyone know of a good program that allows you to control your PC via an Android device (either tablet or phone)?
    Mainly want it for opening files or controlling power point presentations, if there are good specific programs for that.
    thanks in advance.

12. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

13. Shadow298

Have no idea what RDP means, in all honesty.

My (2nd) cousin recommended Team Viewer to me but am looking for something with bluetooth functionality because I often won't be using it near a wifi service.
    A mate recommended Ultimate Remote for that but will look into both.

thanks.:kickass:

14. Lord Tim

15. Shadow298

16. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

- slashdot

17. Lord Tim

The absolute first thing that anyone using TOR is told is to disable cookies and Javascript. Anyone that dumb deserves to get caught.

That said, after going on deep web and having a look around just to see what all the fuss was about a while back, it probably isn't a bad thing this guy got arrested. The number of fucked up sites hosted on Freedom Hosting is insane and full of rage-inducing, stomach-turning shit.

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I've never been there, but I'd have to say that the amount of information starting to surface re: the capabilities of authorities and others to access data, bypass strong encryption entirely and compromise hardware and software is concerning. The only question really is what will others decide to do with your information. I recently read an interview with an ex-intelligence agency employee whose job was to come up with 0-days for the agency to exploit. His specialty was isolating flaws in hardware. Eye opening stuff. Comments he made were things like: the agency had a library of over ten thousand exploits at their disposal and at the rate they were finding new ones they'd likely never run out. Also that the worst of the worst are smartphones (not including blackberry).

Speaking of Javascript I read about another massive flaw (not the FBI induced one) that compromises just about every browser and the time frame they gave for a fix was up to a year. I sincerely wish that organisations, in particular banks or government agencies, would stop building websites that require people to have massively compromised plugins enabled to interact with their services.

19. Lord Tim

The latest news is they've traced that JS exploit back to what they believe is the NSA, rather than the FBI. I'm really surprised about that, said no one ever.

20. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

- slashdot

This one might be drawing a long bow- I'm surprised it made the PRINTED AFR front page...

http://www.afr.com/p/technology/intel_chips_could_be_nsa_key_to_ymrhS1HS1633gCWKt5tFtI