This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

What are the specs of your laptop? Windows 7 is definitely the one to go with if possible. My 5-year old work laptop was getting totally bogged down on WinXP and getting upgraded to Win7 and a solid-state hard drive really brought it back to life.

2. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Yes of course, Celeron 1.60 GHz, 504MB RAM

Next laptop will be SS for sure.

s

3. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

You know for like $450 you can get one that's about 5 times as powerful as that thing is. It wouldn't surprise me if the problems you're facing is actually hardware failure, particularly the hard drive.

4. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Cheers, yep I'll do that by end of financial year, am looking at some solid state models.

In the meantime is a Windows 7 upgrade free because XP is no longer supported and does it upgrade XP or do I have to uninstall XP and start over?

s

5. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

504MB RAM isn't really enough for Win7. It's not free and you wouldn't want to buy it only to find that it refuses to install. The end of WinXP support isn't what's going to be causing your problems anyway. Better to save the money.

A program worth having is HijackThis. It shows you a list of all programs, toolbars, explorer extensions etc. that run on startup. You can then search Google to see what each thing means, or post your log file online and get other people to examine it. With a bit of practice you can spot malware, or spot entries that are safe to remove/"fix" - like unnecessary things that are just wasting resources by running in the background on startup, eg. anything related to Google Updater, Java or Quicktime.

6. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I think Revo Uninstaller has the same feature and I did disable a lot of junk. My issue isn't so much on start up, it bogs down well into my browsing, sometimes it'll run fine for hours, nek minnit bog.

I've also heard a few complaints on facebook lately from Firefox users, one member said Firefox was behaving as if it was downloading a mega Excel file.

s

7. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

I was thinking about malware that might start up and cause problems later. Also, how do you connect? If you're connecting with a network cable, try disabling anything related to wireless. I've seen wireless drivers and helper software cause similar problems.

I use Firefox at work and currently Firefox beta at home and have no problems with either, but then they're not going to spend a lot of time testing on WinXP machines any more.

8. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

Have switched off the wireless previously and just unticked 'Windows to configure wireless'

Cheers.

s

9. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

I'd like to reinstall windows and also start afresh with program installations to breathe a bit of life back into my PC. Currently Windows is installed into quite a large C partition, which is also the default location for program installations. The D partition was set up for storage, but I also installed quite a few programs there.

Any thoughts on the best way to set it up if starting from scratch?

10. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

download all of your frequently used & favourite programs & store the .EXE fires on a back up external drive. Then see if your reinstall allows for a generic data backup, if so: do it. this will keep a lot of the important save data. Make sure to manually check which data & drives it backs up & to where.

Which Win OS is it?

11. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Good ideas, thanks for that. It's Windows 7.

12. Shadow298

then you should be fine with the back up transfer.

Just make sure that you have the drivers dics on hand.

13. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

How true is this?

[​IMG]

s

14. Shadow298

Anyone know any good places to get interesting sounds to replace the standard bleeps & bloops that Windows makes?

15. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I think I had Win 7 on the work computer and when I downloaded a Route 66 style theme for the screensaver it changed all the windows tones to suit. There's probably similar for sounds only?

s

16. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I've upped the laptop to 2GB RAM, installed a SSD and Win 7, all is pretty good; it's much faster.

There is one issue, the display adapter isn't compatible and in Device Manager I get 2 instances of the display adapter
    'Mobile Intel(R) 915GM/GMS,910GML, Express Chipset Family'
    and three instances of Generic PnP Monitors.

It's only a laptop, no additional monitors.

On each startup the drivers install; I suspect it's because 915GM/GMS,910GM has no updated drivers for Win7 so Win7 re-installs a generic driver at each bootup and for some reason it installs two. It then puts up a box asking to restart for the changes to take effect, if I restart it goes through the same process above ending with a restart box yet again, if I restart it, I could repeat going through the above ad infinitum.

I just close the box and continue using the PC as usual, I've yet to encounter any problems.

Can I set it so that on each boot up it doesn't search for the Display Adapter drivers?

I notice sometimes when I select restart it doesn't restart fully, after the Windows graphics it goes to a black screen, then I just hold down the power button, shut it down and select normal start up and it starts up normally.

s

17. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

I've reinstalled Win7 and this time I didn't update the driver for the Video Controller so it has a yellow exclamation mark but it's all running as it should.

There is now only one display adapter 'Standard VGA Graphics Adapter' and only one monitor 'Generic non PnP Monitor.

So what exactly is the Video Controller, is this for a joystick device to play games with? If so, no biggie I don't use the PC for games.

s

18. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

If it's working fine I wouldn't worry about it. The Video Controller is for the display, so it may just mean you're missing features for which there's no proper driver for Win7 anyway.

19. StephenSLR

StephenSLR Member

So far everything is displaying as it should.

[​IMG]

s

20. Cooee

Cooee Member

This question is probably for Tim, however if anyone else is able to make recommendations :)

A friend has asked me to build a PC for video editing. He wants to make videos to promote his business, however filming and video editing is also a hobby of his. Budget would be $1000 - $1500, up to $2000 if it really makes a difference.

What should I be looking at in terms of video card for him? The NVIDIA Quadro series seems to be pretty highly recommended. How relevant is CUDA / parallel processing? Any go-to benchmark charts that I should be looking at? The PassMark charts rate the GTX 980 Ti over the M6000 which seems to be the ultimate card for video processing, so I'm guessing those charts aren't very relevant to video processing.

Is there a particular motherboard chipset that you recommend I stick to?

Thanks in advance!