This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Buy a new one ASAP just to be safe.

2. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Could be worth trying a different cable first. Or if the drive works fine in someone else's computer then the port could be the problem.

3. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Thanks for your suggestions. I don't think I'd done a proper isolation test. I tried with the same cable and different computer and it was fine. Then I tried again in the usual PC and it played up. Now I've got it going through a USB2 port instead of the USB3 one and it's a lot more stable. It's annoying, but better than nothing. Ta!

I have it backed up to a NAS, so at least if it fails completely at some point there is a backup. I also periodically copy the contents to another external drive I keep at my mum's place, in case of burglary or house fire here.

4. Slammed

Slammed Active Member

If you've tried it on another computer with the same cable and it works the chances of the drive being faulty are reduced. If it played up again when you returned it to the original PC process of elimination (with such limited information) leads to the PC. USB ports can fail, cabled USB ports can fail more often than hard wired to the MB ports and sometimes shitty drivers will make ports behave with random issues. I'd almost eliminate the drive as faulty, that's the sort of excuse I'd except a Hardly Normal or Good Guys sales droid to come up with. I'd look at everything from BIOS drivers, to O/S updates, to hardware updates and finally crappy ports.

Although USB2 and 3 are compatible some USB 2 drives can have issues in USB3 and vice versa and some USB3 devices can even refuse to work in USB2. Some of the first gen USB3 external drives needed USB3 bases to connect between the PC and the drive to get full USB3 speed and both Segate and WD in Australia had a bad habit of only offering USB2 bases with USB3 branded drives. It never stopped them working but some versions of Windows didn't always POST a USB2 base connected to a USB3 port or the other way around.

5. Winmar

Winmar Pillock of society

Thanks Slammed, you make some interesting points. I'll keep them in mind if I have any issues with USB3 in future.

If I ever get another case I'll get one with USB3 ports on top. Mine are on the back and a pain in the arse to access, hence not testing properly previously.