This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. MeKaChrOme

Cheers Tim - I look forward to the BSOD instead =/ Some things are better off not knowing?!? hehe thanks for the tip :)

2. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

When I put some CD's into my computer, they never show up. I try to go find them through My Computer etc, but it just says "No disc in drive" The thing is it just does it with random CD's, that work in other computers, so it isn't the CDs.

Help anyone! I have a heap of music I want to get onto my computer! :(

3. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

On the issue of cleaning your computer, use a shaving brush or some kind of clean, very fine and delicate brush for the motherboard/any other circuit boards.

4. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

Offtopic/ Oh, got all excited and thought someone had answered my question :(

5. Stormster

Stormster Somewhere Far Beyond

Uh, i dunno how to fix it because you might need cd drivers, your cd drive might jsut be stuffed, or cables might be lose/not working properly.

6. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

Try updating your driver.

7. powerfromhell

Hi!
    My computer keeps randomly turning off, and sometimes randomly restarts but more just turns off, and before it happens it makes this weird clicking noise.... will it eventually blow up ? :|

8. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

I'm pretty sure my computer has been cursed from the start :mad: The annoying thing is that it only happens on a few CDs. Could it be that it can't read them?

What does that involve?

9. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

To do that go to "My Computer" Right click on your cd drive, select "properties". Again "properties" ( in the new window), then it should open a new window and have the tab "driver". In this tab it has update driver.

Select Install software automaticcly and it should update it, should it be available. If this doesn't work you may need to roll back the driver but you need the disk for that.

10. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

This happened to Jaydes computer, and I suggested getting a new power supply And it fixed her problem. Not always the case.

11. MeKaChrOme

Either that or get the model number of the drive (it should be listed in the properties thing as mentioned above) and go to the manufacturers website and see if there are new drivers... Or get the model # and google it but add 'driver' into the search term :)

12. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Yes. :cool:

But I agree with the other guys, I reckon it's either a faulty power supply or your CPU fan is siezing and you're getting errors.

I'd do what I suggested about turning off automatic restarts earlier so you can see what your computer does when it shits itself.

Sam - I don't think it's a driver thing. The same thing happened to Karyn's DVD drive. I'd first try unplugging and repugging the ribbon cable going into the CD drive and see if that helps. That worked for a while with Karyn's but it took a whole new cable to fix it (although it's still a little flakey - I suspect the drive itself is a bit dodgy).

13. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

My question, the best I could describe.

When I listen to Windows Media Player the song sounds fine but than I go to open up Guitar Pro and play it, but it seems these two programs can not run together. What happens is all the sound on my computer sounds like it is been stretched (if it was a record) and the tempo slows right down. This seems to only happen when I have a Audio format open and a midi format open, what can be the problem and what can I do to fix this.

This question is more for recording. I put a click onto cubase, but every time, at about 3 or 4 bars in the tempo will jump than return to normal in the bar after. I have had this problem even when I have tried to move recordings a bar forward. Any idea what is happening?

Last one. When I set up anything to recored in Midi it only works when I set it up on Microsoft GS Wavetable SW Synth, which I believe to be the motherboards sound card, and not my phase 22 midi, which does not work when I select it. Again what is happening is my sound card just not installed properly or are the two sound guards locking each other out. Becuase I disabled the on board sound card before I installed the Phase 22 sound card.

I hope this is clear.

14. FerretallicA

FerretallicA HMAS Slagdestroyer

Everyone has different experiences but for my 2c-

Bottom of the barrel = Maxtor (ie- Quantum) = don't bother. Better off using a DVD-RW for a hard drive, you'll get about the same reliability. 4 out of 4 Maxtor/Quantum drives I've owned (2x13Gb, 20Gb, 40Gb) all died within months of their warranty expiring.

Best = Seagate. I have a 4.3Gb drive I'm using in my file server which I've had for about... fuck... nearly 10 years?... and it's still going strong. My main PC has 2x60Gb, 1x120Gb and 1x200Gb Seagate drives which I've never had a single problem with either, hence my recent 2x320Gb purchases were both Seagates.

The most important thing to keep in mind is that if your hard drive fails in any way it's not the loss of the drive itself which sucks most. Consider the value of the information you have stored on it. The 10% or so difference in price between a cheaper (Samsung, Maxtor) and better (Seagate, Western Digital) drive is more than worth it for peace of mind... I consider it an insurance premium.

The only time I would recommend going for a cheaper drive is when you're going to run a redundant RAID set-up, but if you have the money for that you probably won't care too much about saving $50 or so.

15. FerretallicA

FerretallicA HMAS Slagdestroyer

Fucking hell, how old is your computer :err:

16. Darkstone

Darkstone Darkstone Media Owner

17. Awake_In_Animosity

Awake_In_Animosity Fearing a Blank Planet

18. cro4eva

cro4eva Member

3 maybe 4 years, not quite sure. It is still a good computer and capable of doing lots. This is the only problem I have with it.

19. demented_broomstick

It probably has narcalepsy (narcolepsy, I have no idea how to spell it, I fell asleep when I was looking it up.)

20. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

HAHAHAHA, Fuckin good call!!