This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Computer questions

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Aug 15, 2006.

1. TheDenimRager

TheDenimRager Hats make things better.

I had an even better one. While back, had a Pentium 3 that was rebooting without warning, seemingly at random. My old man is an electronics genius and I was quite handy with computers at the time, and he figured it was a dodgy power supply. We pulled the computer out, pulled the power supply out and apart and had a look at it. All looked good, so we left the computer on the kitchen table and plugged it into the mains with an extension cable, to see if the powerbox was making noises or whatever. It was then that the foot-high flames started coming out of the power box, and it was then that we realised what the funny smell had been the whole time...

The old man had to go out for a bit, so he turned everything off and said "Now Pete, don't go playing with this, wait until I get back, and especially don't touch both terminals inside the power box." I neglected the first piece of advice, and ended up neglecting the second, too...

Yay for almost dying!:heh:

2. FerretallicA

FerretallicA HMAS Slagdestroyer

Ooh ooh me too, I have one! Maybe not so good... but meh. At a lot of the Woolies sites I'm working at doing checkout upgrades, a lot of the old shit is majorly tangled and tied up inside the cabinets and as long as the old gear isn't being refurbished we usually just cut cables for ease of removal. One dude was on his first day at the Campbelltown site and saw what we were doing and decided to have a crack at it himself, not realising-

1) we weren't cutting power cables
    2) we were disconnecting all power to the checkouts before working on them

Everything's going along as normal then BOOM, massive flash of light and he's thrown back against a biscuit display. Luckily he was using insulated wire cutters because on later looking at them there was a shiny new hole about the radius of an earphone socket blasted straight through the steel. It was extra funny because he doesn't even like biscuits.

3. JausmetalJ

JausmetalJ Call Me James

Ok, I have a Vamp2 that I got last week.

Ive hooked it up via USB through the MIDI IN/OUT (from the Vamp) and im using Acoustica Mixcraft. I have also loaded the cd, and in the control panel, it says its there and working.

I have made drum tracks in Acoustica Beatcraft.

Now, here is where my two problems come in.
    1) I cant put the drumtracks from Beatcraft to mixcraft. I know how to save the file as a .WAV so I can put it into something like Audacity, but it won't go into mixcraft.

The file endings for beatcraft is .bcproj and when I go to open project (to import the drums) from Mixcraft the only files it looks for are .mxc and .sgp

2) I don't know how to set up the Vamp, so the sound goes straight from the vamp to the computer.

I have tried from Line out to line in on the computer. But nothing works.

Anyone know what could be the problem?

4. Hubster

Hubster ...

Okay folks I have a question.

I want to use scripting for that matter to automate scripted shutdown of specific services within services.msc

Any ideas? Has anyone used scripting of the Microsoft Management Console to do this?

5. Cooee

Cooee Member

6. FerretallicA

Assuming you're happy using the Windows Scripting Host and VBScript, try the following. I've tried to make it as self-documenting as possible but if anything in particular doesn't make sense let me know.

Code:
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]'Basic example to shut down a particular service and its dependants
    'This closes the Messenger service as an example. To close something
    'else user services.msc to find the name of the service you want to
    'terminate and assign it to the strServiceName variable.[/COLOR]

strServiceName = "Messenger"
    strComputer = "."

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]'Initialise a new Windows Management Interface object[/COLOR]
    Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]'Populate a list with handles for all services which depend on the termination target to operate[/COLOR]
    Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Associators of " & "{Win32_Service.Name='" & strServiceName & "'} Where " & "AssocClass=Win32_DependentService " & "Role=Antecedent" )

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]'Terminate all dependant services[/COLOR]
    For each objService in colServiceList
        objService.StopService()
    Next

[COLOR="SeaGreen"]'Allow 20 seconds to ensure dependant services have finished terminating[/COLOR]
    Wscript.Sleep 20000
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]
    'Get the handle for the main termination target[/COLOR]
    Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * from Win32_Service where Name='" & strServiceName & "'")
    [COLOR="SeaGreen"]'Terminate the main service[/COLOR]
        errReturn = objService.StopService()
    Next

[edit] Sorry, momentary mental lapse... "Associators of", not "Associates of"
    Looks like Cooee beat me to it anyway :)

7. Hubster

Hubster ...

Cheers for that guys

I'm assuming that strServiceName is not a reserved variable, is that correct? Has it been used only for that example of the code, or is it a "reserved" variable in the OS?

It also looks as though it's type string. Given there are multiple services to be shut down, I would have to flush that variable via an if or for loop of some kind, and have strServiceName reassigned to the next service name in the list to be terminated.... either that, or I might have to create a string array and terminate according to the next string value (i.e. in C terms, i++) in the array member.

Any suggestions?

8. FerretallicA

Correct.

The code was more for reference than a specific solution since I don't know the details of what you're trying to do. If you just want a cut/paste solution try the following-

Code:
    Function StopService(strServiceName)
        strComputer = "."
        Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
        Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery("Associators of " & "{Win32_Service.Name='" & strServiceName & "'} Where " & "AssocClass=Win32_DependentService " & "Role=Antecedent" )
            objService.StopService()
        Next
        Wscript.Sleep 20000
        Set colServiceList = objWMIService.ExecQuery ("Select * from Win32_Service where Name='" & strServiceName & "'")
            errReturn = objService.StopService()
        Next
    End Function

Whenever you want to stop a service, just use the following-

StopService("Messenger")
    StopService("NetDNS")
    StopService("Clipbook")

etc...

If you later decide to start services, you can use the above function but replace the two objService.StopService() calls like so-

Code:
    Function StartService(strServiceName)
        strComputer = "."
        Set objWMIService = GetObject("winmgmts:" & "{impersonationLevel=impersonate}!\" & strComputer & "\root\cimv2")
            objService.StartService()
        Next
        Wscript.Sleep 20000
            errReturn = objService.StartService()
        Next
    End Function

9. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

10. FerretallicA

*fast fourier transforms Todd into a toad* :rolleyes:

11. Hubster

Hubster ...

* Hubs overclocks Todd's core clock with incorrect voltage, Todd explodes like Agent Smith did in The Matrix *

nooooooooooooo

[​IMG]

12. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

If anyone knows about phone connections to computers, please help!

When I connect my phone and go into the program, it says "Initialising" (Like normal) but it just keeps going and a symbols comes up saying "Mobile not connected" when it cleary is. It happened half way through transferring photos from it one night, and hasn't worked since.

What could be wrong? It is my USB port or just the computer not recognising my phone anymore?

13. Hubster

Hubster ...

Are you doing this via IR (infra-red)? Make sure your IR connection in the phone is switched on.

- coupla questions though:

- phone model/type
    - how are you connecting it to the computer?
    - what software are you using to get the files off the phone and onto your machine?

14. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

Just through a USB cable plugged into my phone and the computer.

15. Hubster

Hubster ...

Ok... try using a different USB port Sami... does it still stuff up?

- also try rebooting your computer as well as restarting your phone
    - check for dust or gunk in the phone connection as well as cable
    - reconnect and try again

16. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

Ah, doesn't help when I got a message half way through.

I put it in another port, and it said "New Software Detected" so it automatically installed itself, I dunno that bit confused me..it didn't re-install itself though.

Anyway, I tried again and didn't work.

Now my Internet connection is dropping in and out, my computer is just going stupid. I think there could be some sort of virus in it, I keep getting alerts about it then try to run scans and stuff to see if anything is in it, and nothing comes up. I think its the same thing everytime too.

17. Hubster

Hubster ...

Hmm something wierd is going on... I cant seem to write my post in, it either takes forever or I "dont have permission to access this page".

18. Hubster

Hubster ...

Sounds like your computer is infected...

If you dont have Norton SystemWorks installed, then try using the Windows System File Checker by going into the Command Prompt (Start, Programs, Accessories, Command Prompt), and then type in without quotes "sfc /scannow" and then hit enter. It will scan your system for any protected files which have been altered.

You can then choose to reinstall those files off the Windows XP CD.

19. outrageous

outrageous METAL MAIDEN

I love you, you are great.

Haven't found anything bad on my computer yet, but i feel good scanning it :lol:

20. Hubster

Hubster ...

HAHA well you gotta start somewhere :) Once you get used to doing things like this you'll be amazed at what you learn, you'll pick it up fast, and there's lots of ppl in this forum who know stuff too, so help is always at hand.

Let me know how you go, or just shout anyone in this thread I guess