This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Continued Creativity....

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Opethian Samurai, Aug 7, 2009.

1. To rid you disease

some people seem to think that shredding equals to bad no matter what. the mid tempo solo in lotus eater is imo extremely boring and possibly opeths worst, while I on the other hand think the heir apparent solo is great.

2. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Well I think shredding can be very good but it is very rare to hear shredding that has as much "feeling" as a solo like the one in Windowpane, for instance.

3. sotua

sotua Member

Exactly, that's not a blast beat, the riff is only a few seconds long, and I believe it builds tension beautifully to release with "Invisible King...". The drone (isn't that "palm-muted E drone" instead of "open E drone", btw?) simply sets up the next riff.

(I still can't believe people get so hung up with a couple of 8-second sections)

4. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

Wasn't he planning to put out a solo record sometime in close future.

5. Detective Clarence Beauregard

To be honest, while I love Symphony X and all, Romeo's guitar solos are my least favorite parts of many of their songs. Pinnella's keyboard solos have a much better choice of licks that don't drain the emotion of a song by traveling at 10,000 notes a second; the keyboard patches used are good, too, just like Per's in Opeth (and unlike Dream Theater's space-type shit as of recent).

But that's beside the point. As you stated in your second paragraph, I applaud Opeth on their solos ACTUALLY FITTING the song's atmosphere. The overall feel of a song is far more important to me than all the guitar virtuoso tricks you can shove onto the fretboard. Has Mikael ever sweep picked in a solo? Who gives a shit, I say! I used to care a lot about technicality, but the more I listen to Opeth the more I realize that music is simply just not about that.

I don't care if its technically not a blast beat - I still think it is out of place and that Opeth can do WAY better. And as far as the lyrics go, I could care less. Truthfully, Mikael does write great lyrics, and Heir Apparent, even with those few tormenting sections, is a decent song. But to me a great song depends on the music (and vocal melody) alone; if you can write a song with great music that is great even WITHOUT lyrics, you've done a great job.