This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

control surface yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Backline' started by EOC, Dec 12, 2014.

1. EOC

EOC Member

Hello everyone!
    So, lately i`ve been thinking a lot about workflow and have upgraded my setup with some controlers (tablet+alphatrack+BCR2000 for plungins. I will make a video soon to show some cool tips about them).

Since the experience of mixing actually touching something has been very fun and productive for me, im thinking about getting a mixing control surface with 8 faders such as Mackie MCU or something like that.

My idea is to use them to control 8 main tracks of my mixes (Drums, Kick , Snare, OH, Guitar, Bass, Vocals and Key busses)

So i wanted you guys to share some experiences with this kind of surfaces, have you found that it was better that working with just with the mouse? pros and cons? Any recommendations?

Im working with reaper by the way

Cheers!

2. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

I actually just sold my mackie control after using it for 2 years. I found that I was just using the transport/punch/save etc... buttons. I found the faders to be shitty. I would probably change my mind if I used a newer one but mine had some funky issues that finally made me axe it.

Controlling plugins absolutely sucked, I was considerably faster with a mouse in that regard. The pan knobs worked well though, but like I said I always ended up reverting to the mouse for some reason. So I ditched it and got the CMC-TP. Perfect for what I want without the big ass footprint on my desk. I plan on doing that and my newly aquired impulse 49 key controller instead of the MC. I think it will suit me better.

3. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

I have tried but I think it's only really useful if it's really complete, with integrated vu meter, led display that are really readable, and a real interaction with the daw itself. Below that it feels very useless so anything like mackie control, behringer, this kind of things, didn't work for me. I was reverting to the mouse as well.

4. RiF

RiF Member

If the mouse wheel would work properly on each and every control (faders, plugin parameters, fx sends, ...) on the screen, it would be the best thing for me.

Switching between a) keyboard, mouse while looking at the screen, b) control surface while looking at it's display(s) and c) control surface while looking at the screen or a combination of all of this makes my brain hurt.

5. MetalSound

MetalSound Member

i sold my mcu as well as i´m much faster with mouse/keyboard.
    now that i own a yamaha 02r96 with the possibility to control 24 faders and other stuff as well i have to say.....i still don´t use it.

6. EOC

EOC Member

Thanks for the replies guys!!!! It seems that is a NAY! hahah
    anyways, im gonna make a video to show my current workflow for controlling my daw. Maybe its a better way than an MCU

7. Pursuance

Pursuance AKA Kylezan

Im wating for the behringer x control.

8. EOC

EOC Member

Yeah me too, for the price i could actually try if it fits my workflow.

Anyways, my question was oriented not so much towards gear, but towards workflow as in "did you sell your controller after two months? or are you happy with it?"

9. KHE

KHE Member

just orderd myself a Steingberg CC121. i'm curious if the ai-knob will improve my workflow. currently i use an avid artist mix, but i'm not too happy with it...

10. IanM

IanM Member

I have an SSL Nucleus and love it. I find I listen more to make decisions rather than looking when EQ'ing and using the faders.

11. Star Ark

Star Ark Member

if you're an angry dude just use a mouse and keyboard. it feels very therapeutic to smash my spacebar to stop recording everytime I fuck up

12. GeertSamuel

GeertSamuel Member

I'm using a few Steinberg CC modules. They work nicely, I use them most of the time during tracking, while mixing I feel that I'm faster on the keyboard and mouse.

13. Studdy

Studdy Member

Slate Raven looks pretty rad.

14. Loren Littlejohn

Steinberg sucks for discontinuing the CMC series. Fucking idiots.

I'm sort of curious about the cc121 myself, wondering if it's any good, it's a little pricey for what it is IMO.

The new beh x control stuff looks promising.

15. mva801

mva801 Member

In my experience, the only control surfaces that really positively impact your workflow are prohibitively expensive.

So I'd say unless you want to shell out some big money for a Nucleus or similar, your money is just better spent elsewhere.

16. MartijnPaauwe

MartijnPaauwe Member

I have an M-Audio Projectmix as an control surface and I dig mixing with it. Got it used for a decent price, I wouldn't have bought it for it's new price. I say 'YAY' for it because my work flow has definitely improved

17. Loren Littlejohn

I actually didn't mind the 002/003 stuff from digidesign.

18. GeertSamuel

GeertSamuel Member

I indeed meant the CMC....but this is news to me!!!
    I have the CH, AI and TP....so if quickly need to expand with the remaining..especially a few FD...this indeed sucks.
    No clue why they ditched it..since it was a decent product and as I knew populair enough...

19. EOC

EOC Member

20. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

I am looking for an 8 track mixer, with labels, and possibly a handy integration with simple midi HUI or eucon protocol.

I am giving it another try because I re-organized my sessions to a template of routing to 8 tracks final and I would mainly use it for the actual mixing balancing, and automation. The in details mixing would still probably be mouse and keyboard.

So, should I wait for the new behringer to give it a try, or should I go for the artist mix ? Any alternative worth mentioning ?