This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Crimson Glory is baaaaacccccccckkkk!

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by arnavut, Nov 29, 2005.

1. arnavut

arnavut Member

I have been waiting to hear this news for years. I cannot stop :hotjump:

Rod Harmon of HeraldTribune.com has issued the following report:

Among prog-metal lovers, the Sarasota-Bradenton band CRIMSON GLORY is semi-legendary, a rival to QUEENSRŸCHE and TOOL — especially in Europe, where its out-of-print albums are highly sought collectors' items.

It's been six years since the band released its last album, and 16 years since it performed with its classic lineup.

That will change in 2006, when CRIMSON GLORY celebrates the 20th anniversary of its first album with reissues of its back catalog, new releases of rare audio and video, and live performances, says founder/guitarist Jon Drenning.

"There's a tremendous amount of loyal fans around the world who love this band, and they're making it possible for this to happen, because they keep demanding more material from CRIMSON GLORY," Drenning said.

Drenning has reassembled original members Midnight (lead vocals), Ben Jackson (guitar) and Jeff Lords (bass). The drummer has yet to be announced.

The reunion will include:

Remastered reissues of the band's self-titled first CD, originally released in 1986, "Transcendence" (1988) and "Astronomica" (1999), all on Black Lotus Records. All will contain previously unreleased tracks; "Astronomica" may include Midnight's vocals for the first time and a new video shot at the pyramids in Egypt.

A DVD featuring never-before-released live footage, including a 1989 concert at the Manatee Civic Center.

An anthology box set, "Valley of Shadows, Kingdoms of Light".

Live performances at various European festivals.

In addition, Drenning has signed a side deal with Black Lotus to distribute CDs by unknown American bands in Europe. Drenning, who books and promotes acts in various Bradenton clubs, has already made agreements with GARGAMEL! and RIPA JODA.

The band also plans on recording an all-new album for 2007, backed by a tour.

All this begs one question: Will CRIMSON GLORY once again don the face masks synonymous with its name?

"Being that it's part of our history, I think we will to some degree," Drenning said. "Maybe for (concert) encores, we'll put the masks back on."

2. Dolamite S. Biffle

Dolamite S. Biffle Biffliest Person Ever

Damn, you beat me to it. I cant fucking wait for this shit!!!!!! What if dare I say a Progpower appearance <sheds a tear>? Pray to the gods of metal that it happens. Dear Priest, Sabbath, Maiden, & Motorhead for ought atop Heavy Metal Mountain, let Crimson Glory play Progpower!!

3. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Notice the press release says 2007 in regards to a tour. That's a long way off folks. I would be *shocked* if they perform *anywhere* in 2006.

Good luck to Jon though. He is a class act to speak with.

Sorry.

Glenn H.

4. Joe-×

Joe-× New Metal Member

I sure hope the aliens don't fuck it up this time.

Joe

5. 13ShadesofGray

13ShadesofGray RI Porch Commando

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

/me faints

6. booB

booB Señor Member

sounds great! BUT (of course there has to be a "but")...

"Astronomica" may include Midnight's vocals for the first time

I don't like the sound of that. Astronomica is fine the way it is, and has its own artistic merits; if they re-record it with Midnight, I'll be the first to yell "SELLOUTS!!!"

I hate when bands fuck with their old releases like this; this sort of thing is all too similar to Greedo shooting first in Star Wars.

Other than that, great news!

7. BABS

BABS Member

Damn, I was just getting ready to post this on here!

As all of our eyes turn to Glenn with "the look" for PPVIII?

8. Dave@BEC

Dave@BEC Metal Missioner

Heard the rumors...now official, AWESOME!:OMG:

9. arnavut

arnavut Member

I am really hoping to be shocked, Glen!!! :D

10. Bear

Bear Got Shred??

Well being that Midnight and Ben were at PPUSA 5.0 , that might have been the catalyst to get the thing back in action, hell why not. It would be an awesome thing to have them have their first performance since breaking up on the Prog Power USA Stage and I am sure they would love to as well.

Even if it is or isn't going to happen at PPUSA, there will be alot of discussion and speculation about it, just like the Conception reunion. Kinda stoked about it. Hopefully Midnight is back in form.

Bear

11. TheWhisper

TheWhisper Cobra Kai Never Dies

:tickled:

12. Dark One

Dark One The Tainted Dogma

Whether or not it happens, PPVII certainly would be the perfect setting for the first reunion show, that's for damn sure.

13. BABS

BABS Member

That's why I was hinting at Glenn courting them for PP 8.0, to give it time to see if they pull it all together, etc.

14. Joe-×

Joe-× New Metal Member

Exhibit A:

Exhibit B:
    OK. You were drunk. You're excused. :err: :Spin: :headbang: :)

Let's just say that he should change his name to Noon because he's only halfway there these days. OK. I'm being too generous. Can't always be a fuckhead. :D :D

OK. So the reissue is a cool gimmick. Not everyone was smart enough to buy the Dreamdancer single back in the day. Maybe their package will include a poofy shirt also. Surely there are bars in Tampa that could host the big reunion show.

Joe

15. MysticX9

MysticX9 Member

This is incredible news, been waiting a long time!!! :hotjump:

16. Petethedrummer

Petethedrummer Sonata Arctica fan

hahaha

17. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

He was pretty much "all there" at ProgPower 5.1....I'd swear you could've heard Midnight two blocks away. :tickled: Sounded quite good, too. :headbang:

18. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

And keep it together. I think Midnights still has it all there when he's "healthy". Let's hope he can stay that way and they can continue to all get along.

I greet this news with great hopes, but cautious expectations.

19. BenMech

BenMech student of the d'eh

Grrrr.

So, Black Lotus and the band are IGNORING Strange and Beautiful, ehh??
    It may be on a Cold Lake scale of disasters, but not including it with the reissues seems to be rewriting history as much as the implication of using Midnight on Astronomica tracks.

20. mitchgx

mitchgx Tired and Irritable

I don't think anybody will cry too hard about S&B being excluded. Why bother? Besides, wasn't S&B on Atlantic? Maybe rights ownership has something to do with the decision.

In any case, it's the right decision. :p