This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Crystal Planet by Joe Satriani

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by Random3, Apr 28, 2015.

1. Random3

Random3 Member

Yeah this one isn't exactly metal, but I figured I would ask for some feedback on it as it features some things I haven't exactly done before.

My interpretation of my favourite Satch track.

Drums are the Avatar kit in Superior, built around Jeff Campitelli's kit. MIDI was humanised and then reinforced with some Slate samples.

Bass recorded DI with an Ibanez SR305. All bass was played using thumb slap instead of pick or fingers. I also blended this with a Synth bass.

Guitars recorded with an Ibanez Prestige RG2570Z with DiMarzio Mo' Joe and PAF Joe pickups. Used a Morley Bad Horsie II and TC Electronic Dreamscape for some modulation effects. Recorded using the green channel on a Peavey 6505.

Played around with a lot of synth on this one, a lot of it was experimental. All synth is from Xpand2.

Any feedback is welcomed :)

[SOUNDCLOUD]https://soundcloud.com/charlie-munro-mixes/crystal-planet-by-joe-satriani/s-jPBut[/SOUNDCLOUD]

2. rebirth44

rebirth44 New Metal Member

I'm a big fan of Satriani !
    I'm not fan of the guitar sound. Satch guitar sound is more "bigger", all the instrument turn around her, and here, it's the bass how are dominant. Just this ;)

3. Plankis

Plankis Member

Nice playing! I agree, the bass is very loud. The rhythm guitars are too quiet as well, which makes the mix loose a lot of the power and dynamic shifts they would have brought.

4. ShredderKING

ShredderKING New Metal Member

Great mixing and playing. Multitracks would be very much appreciated.