This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Darkane - Insanity

Discussion in 'Metal Reviews' started by Mark, Sep 22, 2001.

1. Mark

Mark Not blessed, or merciful

Darkane - Insanity
    Century Media - 2001
    By Rodrigo

/images/covers/Darkane.jpg

Insanity marks the debut on Century Media for the Swedish band Darkane. They had previously released the album Rusted Angel that gathered a lot of positive buzz. Darkane is being described as an extreme metal band but I honestly think they are more of a trash band. The guitar playing of Klas Ideberg and Christofer Mamlström is speedy, ferocious and they showcase plenty of great leads and solos. The drumming of Peter Wildoer (ex-Armageddon/ex-Arch Enemy) is pretty powerful and unique and paired with the bass playing of Jörgen Löfberg provide a great backbone for the music. Yet despite these positives, the music of Darkane does nothing to grab my attention and with the fact that I find nothing positive about Andreas Sydow’s singing I am going to say that listening to this album was a chore.

However, at first I thought that I might enjoy listening to this album because Insanity starts off really well with the symphonic opening intro piece "Calamitas". But unfortunately this only lasts for about 2 minutes and the rest of the album comes in. While I found interesting parts here and there in the album I could never come up with something truly memorable and exciting. "Psychic Pain" ended up being my favorite song of the album but it is not a song I will play very often. I mentioned that I had problems with the way Andreas sings. He sings in a harsh, hardcore style of singing that just does not appeal to me. I find his voice very annoying and it ruins what could be really good songs.

Maybe this album is just not for me. I am sure that plenty of people are totally enjoying this album. I can recognize that this band has talent and shows flashes of creativity. However, this ended up being a totally boring listen for me and I just could not wait until it was over.