This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Debating with ignorant family members

Discussion in 'GMD Social Forum' started by zabu of nΩd, Apr 3, 2012.

1. zabu of nΩd

zabu of nΩd Free Insultation

ITT we discuss political/religious debates we have with irrational people in our family, and reflect on how far our civilization has advanced since the barbaric times of past generations.

I've been wanting to beat a few family members over the head with common sense for a while, and i've gotten a nice opportunity lately thanks to an old christian conservative in my family who basically just learned how to use the internet. Below is our facebook chat, up until the point he bailed on me due to being pwned so hard. I know it's way tldr (hence the commentary outside of the quotes), but you should still skim a bit of what he says to see how astoundingly packed with soundbites and propaganda his dinosaur brain is.

I send a link to a documentary showing how evil Fox News is:
    He writes it off without watching it since it's made by "liberals", and proceeds to spew his standard litany of evils about Obama/Democrats:
    I call him out on trusting Fox and the Republicans:
    He passes off the Republicans, and tries to turn the partisan bias argument against me:
    I ask for evidence of his claims:
    Nope, don't need evidence -- you're a liberal so that makes you wrong no matter how much sense you make:
    I'm like seriously dude, you're brainwashed and acting like a bigoted asshole:
    Nope, i'm not brainwashed/bigoted - discrimination against people's age and education level clearly constitutes a valid argument so i can go ahead and shut my ears now. Oh btw Fox News is the best!
    Me: *sigh*

2. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 True Doom

Fortunately, my family has few retards, so I only get in mild arguments over the existence of God and shit like that.

3. Der Morgenstern

Der Morgenstern Trailer Park Bacchus

My fsmily argues over who owes who smokes and why Jimmy drank Grandma's vodka.

4. zabu of nΩd

Yeah this guy is by far the most outspoken and stubborn Republican puppet in my extended family, and he's driven multiple other family members into political apathy with his constant hysteria, so teaching him a lesson in critical thinking would be a pretty big win for me.

5. V.V.V.V.V.

V.V.V.V.V. Houses Ov Mercury

This seems pointless, Grant.

6. zabu of nΩd

The thread, or me debating with my relative?

7. Vimana

Vimana Member

Half of my family is creationist. My uncle thinks that the oldest religion is Judaism and says there's no proof Sumer existed. I want to bring him to the top of a ziggurat and recall that time that he said there's no proof Sumer existed.

He also brings up his religion a lot around me unprovoked, and tries to imply that my atheism is a phase by saying things like "I know at this stage in your life, God is not your top priority, but blah blah blah." He's a nice guy, just uneducated, and misguided.

8. Xorv

Xorv Drug the Priest

ok question for everyone, what do you believe happens after we die?

9. V.V.V.V.V.

V.V.V.V.V. Houses Ov Mercury

For some reason, this made me laugh.

10. Master_Yoda77

Master_Yoda77 True Doom

Nothing. The universe does not give a shit about us. We are nothing but dust in the grand scheme of things.

11. King Richard

King Richard Against the wind...

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tH2w6Oxx0kQ&ob=av3e[/ame]

12. Vimana

Vimana Member

The same thing that happens to the files on a computer when you dissolve it in lava. Gone. Nonexistent. The very complex mechanical processes that made me me stopped, and so I'd no longer exist.

13. zerostatic

zerostatic Damned in Flames

Zabu, are we related?

Sounds like the same ignorant shit a lot of my family members say when I see them. I only see them twice a year now, at summer and at Christmas, so I try to avoid controversial topics altogether. If they happen to bring up politics or religion I usually leave the room or just plain leave. I love my family, but sadly too many of them are ignorant, racist assholes. Plus, they are all Chicago Cubs fans:loco:

14. sevag00

sevag00 Order to Chaos

Thank God i don't have ignorant stupid relatives.

15. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

From what I've read, Judaism is often ranked as one of the world's oldest religions. Unfortunately, we can't know for certain which religion was truly "first." But I always see Judaism ranked up with early forms of Vedic spiritualism as the earliest examples of organized religions.

16. arg

arg Active Member

i believe the universe was created by a "god" or "higher intelligence", but i don't believe he/she/it is omnipotent or omniscient or gives a shit about what we do in our lives. so it's fucking useless to pray or live a certain way.

i also don't believe there's an afterlife in which we retain our same current memories/consciousness. so i guess i'm creationist but it doesnt do me any good spiritually (and i was raised catholic lol). i will always live in nihilism, decadence and debauchery

17. Vimana

Vimana Member

I'm not so sure about that. Judaism is indeed old, but Genesis was written after 1000 BCE iirc.

There are plenty of strong, well-documented religious traditions that go back further. I honestly see the only reason to think Judaism is the oldest religion is in ignorance.

What annoys me about my uncle's ignorance is not that he just doesn't think Sumer existed, but he says he only believes what the bible tells him, and Sumer is mentioned in the bible. He just doesn't want to believe it did because he wants to cling to his image of the idea of his god appearing out of nowhere and Abrahamic religious tradition coming from divine inspiration, rather than human imagination (and other factors that would make this post too long).

18. unknown

unknown fuck ftagn

Thomas Ligotti says something about the notion of there being a grand scheme of things is an absurdity. Agreed

19. Einherjar86

Einherjar86 Active Member

I think you're right about the origin of the text, but isn't there evidence that the belief system itself stretches far back into history? The Hebrew tribes did originate during the time of Akkadia and Babylon, which were nearly synchronous with Sumer (maybe a bit later); did they not?

I'm no expert in this field, I just want to verify the information I've come across.

20. Der Morgenstern

Der Morgenstern Trailer Park Bacchus

There is evidence out there that suggest that Judaism originated roughly 2500-3000 years ago. I need to find the article I came across that spoke about it. One of my old profs sent it to me once during Yom Kippur.