This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Depressive music and its themes/message - thoughts...

Discussion in 'Katatonia' started by Alcapoth, Jan 11, 2007.

?

Does depressive music create a negative outlook on life?

1. Yes

6 vote(s)
    9.8%
  2. No

43 vote(s)
    70.5%
  3. pfft, no idea...maybe

12 vote(s)
    19.7%
  1. Alcapoth

Alcapoth S t a r E

I really would like to know what people's thoughts on this are. Seriously.

A while ago in college, a buddy of mine there was always wondering why I always listened to all this dark/depressive music; be it Opeth, Katatonia, My Dying Bride, Anathema - and it goes on. Basically, what he suggested to me is that I should stop listening to that shit because if I keep playing music like that over and over it will affect my daily life. Like the depressive lyrics - it will cause me to have a bad look on life, be down, think negative thoughts and just be miserable. This is basically what he was suggesting to me. Weird, huh?

I for one disagree here. I mean, I think a person who is negative on life has chosen to be that way due to numerous circumstances. It doesn't necessarily have to be the type of music you listen to. To me, music is music and I just kinda let that be separate from what's going on in the real world. I listen to what I want on my own, private time. And if it happens to be "dark" music, well, that's just what I'm into. Happy party music is usually not my cup of tea, but there are a few exceptions, no doubt.

Also, perhaps maybe there is some truth in this also, depending on the person. Haha, just for fun, I once played Sear Me off Turn Loose the Swans for a friend - this guy listens to stuff like Nickelback, Barenaked Ladies and The Tragically Hip among others along those same lines, so what I was about to play for him was going to be drastically different to what he was used to. I was curious what he'd think. Basically, his happy face turned so serious within a second. Yep, he said this is pretty remarkable music but wow, what is this? And it's so sad. Then he commented he would like to use the song for some video - a graphic design thing we have been working on in college, etc.

Anyway...who knows...

It's kinda like what Jonas has stated in one of his interviews someone has once posted here - one of my favourite things I have read from anyone in any band heh; even when I'm having a good time, I'll put the dark/depressive/sad music on. That'd basically be me, lol. That's just my kind of personality I guess. I would like to think of myself as someone neutral - hey, I CAN have fun parties etc and I know I can be laid back, but I don't think the music is to blame.

So, lets have it...thoughts on this. I thought the Katatonia board would be best for this topic.
    Lastly, I would add that maybe that's why majority of the people shy away from most metal or melancholic music in general...because they don't wish to be part of the darkness (heh, that was cheesy.)

2. LifeDepraved

LifeDepraved My soul got a crack

For me this is the best type of music I can function to. It's the reason I wake up, the reason I want to actually do something with myself. It makes me focus on some of the lower points of life, but to me those are the best. I love feeling depressed, in deep regret, in total sorrow. Not necessarily the music is to blame though if you're feeling a certain way, that's your own problem in my opinion. Though I don't know if I was a more chipper person that I would be listening to such melancholic bands. Well I'm glad who I am and the music I listen to. It's my special outlet to get through this life, but what a great sorrowful life it has proved to be!

3. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

depressive music ftw

4. daz436

daz436 Konfused

I went with no. But if you already have a depressive outlook on life, it sure as shit fuels that fire.

5. doom_death

doom_death Katatonia&Hypocrisy Fan

I agree with that :p

6. MadTinus

MadTinus Spelling/language nazi

Fuck NO man! That's what you always hear from other so-called 'normal' people, "Listening to that kinda music must make you really depressed, right?" NO!! :mad: One does not become despressive because of listening to this music, it's the other way around! One listens to this music to seek comfort/support in times of trouble!

It's happy, superficial music that makes me fucking grumpy/depressed.

7. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

agreed with tinus

8. salient

salient Moment of solace

Life in fact so stupid for me, i prefer create the own reality without grey and empty perfection of ordinariest world. Depression so disturbing and beat down, that i've searching of golden middle.

9. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

hahahahahaha!!! dude you are too funny

10. salient

salient Moment of solace

Listen this man, and you will understand truth:

The Cure - Numb.

Katatonia - Relention.

11. Sadguru

Sadguru In my dream...

That's a very interesting topic Alcapoth. Here's my 2 cents on the subject.

As far as I'm concerned, depressive music definitely has an major impact on the listener's thoughts. That's especially true if the said listener identify himself with the lyrical/thematic/ideological content.

Which comes first, the thoughts or the music? The sadness/depression or the music? Is it depressive music that induce negative humor or, on the other hand, is it the negative mood which is asking for a companion in negative music? And now, that's where it becomes funny. On one hand, there are those who claim that music is responsible for a given behavior (i.e. murderers who listen to Marilyn Manson). Opposed to this belief, there are those who assert that there must be, first and foremost, an inner state of suffering (sometimes associated with a pathology) prior to the said behaviour/humor. I think both camps are right. It might appear that both views can't coexist, but I'm pretty sure they can. Let's have a closer look.

First, I think that music is largely linked to our mood. At this point, it can becomes extremely complex; no studies can say for sure why music has such an effet on the human being. Regardless, I think it's fairly safe to assume that on a sensorimotor level, the body, when on the waking state, reacts accordingly to specific kind of music. For exemple, darkwave or gothic music seems to resonate better when the central nervous system activity is low (often associated with melancholy or depression). Consequently, it seems that this body reaction can trigger specific thoughts which are related to the said body reaction (i.e. depressive music/depressive though). Subsequently, these thoughts will generate their own emotional responses through the body. On a behavioral point of view, the more you repeat these thoughts, the more you'll react accordingly. So, that point in particular is the major downside of listening to depressive music as it solidifies the habits related to negative/depressive thoughts. I also believe that there's some kind of masochistic factor when it comes to enjoying such music, which brings me to the second point of view.

I'm not one of those "negative music is bad for you" detractor, at least not in these absolutist terms. "Dark" music can be tremendously powerful in bringing a frustrated mind to peace. Like I said above, music can stimulate negative/depressive thoughts. Only in this case, the whole experience becomes pleasurable. The negative thoughts are no longer denied, we no longer struggle with them. Far from being unwanted, they become gratifying. A sense of "joy" can often emanate from this.

On one hand, music can stimulate thoughts and therefore conditions behaviours and solidifies patterns (especially so if you identify with ideologies). On the other, it helps us being more tolerant and integral in regard of our undesirable thoughts.

I know it is far from being a complete explanation, but I hope it made some sense to you.

12. salient

salient Moment of solace

Qualified resonance!

Approach to depressive music especially extremely like: Katatonia, Anathema, The Cure old, Red House Painters few songs, has two degrees, and i fan middle of it.

13. BlueSky

BlueSky New Metal Member

the cure and katatonia!?! never heard :lol:

14. salient

salient Moment of solace

Guarantee of suffering!

15. i aint play this

16. salient

salient Moment of solace

Far away all my friends and gift once immortality \m/ :headbang: :oops:

17. saboona

saboona Member

its good to know others go through the same shit

18. Sadguru

Sadguru In my dream...

Definitely.

19. the-great-cold-distance

the-great-cold-distance Throbbing Member

does anyone here actually understand salient?

20. Nocturnal Dismay

Nocturnal Dismay New Metal Member

Depression is often a precipitate of mental illness, such as suicide. Doom-Metal is just a kind of sad music which is based on the feelings of hopelessness ,bad love experience,loss of faith etc...I don't understand why people don't accept a fact that some people enjoy listening sadly music,and other not...
    For example,one of mine fav. bands- Shape of Despair are known as masters of depression...which is also true,although their songs are helping me to go far away from here,some distant universe...And always these feelings are deferent...
    And because of this expirience I am listening Doom-Metal ...Every song is really emotional,strong and honest...