This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Discouraged with the kemper.. need help

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by diseasedbeing, Apr 27, 2015.

1. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

Im not new to mixing.

Here are 2 clips one with podfarm and one with kemper.

I just mixed this tonight and was annoyed that i find the pod tone blows the kemper one away... the kemper sounds more real yes but the pod to me has more mids and clarity... I went through easily over 200 profiles and bought many commercial ones and find them most to be SHIT. The kemper is not tweakable to me. Once you add eq it actually kills the tone more in the mix. Ive tried eqing in the daw only and not in the kemper and vice versa. I also cant get the kemper to have air in the guitar tone. Too much gain causes tone loss and fizz and not enough gain sounds killer and thickens the tone but then kills the air in the profile forcing me to quad track which i despise. I dont wanna get rid of it because ive heard great things with it... but im wondering wtf is wrong.

In the kemper mix is an engl profile that i hpf and lpf only- as it sat well in the mix- but i still find my podfarm tones beat it. The kemper is close but 2000$ for close? to..... a pod?? for 150$? Im not here to bash the kemper but ask for tips. I want to make my own profiles but sold my fucking amp thinking this thing was "the biz" I find the tones on rig exchange extremely boxy and fizzy and it annoys me to no end. Ive switched cabs 12000 times as well. If you post on the kemper forum everyone goes "explain digital sound" "explain fizz sound" Well people that know how to mix understand these things are crucial and easy to hear.. So i cant get any help there. By the way this is stock podfarm shit with no metal pack and no cab impulses... using the pod impulses that supposedly "suck" I dont think so.

Kemper

Podfarm

KEMPER MIX 2 (much better, fuck the pod)

#1 diseasedbeing, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  2. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

Got no tips but Kemper/top clip sounds better to me.

3. Vihaleipä

Vihaleipä Member

+1 The Kemper clip sounds much better than the Pod Farm one, the clip with the Kemper sounded pretty good to me, maybe just a little too fizzy but nothing serious.

4. Behind

Behind Member

You can always profile your POD tone.

5. thaz16

thaz16 New Metal Member

Lol the kemper tone sound 10x time much better. Stop for a day and comeback

6. He's Dead, Jim

Kemper tone has too much bass imo, but other than that it sounds far better than the POD, which is fizzy and harsh. Not sure what to tell you. Make sure your input/output settings, including the Kemper's gate, are tweaked to your liking. Maybe you're just so used to POD Farm that you want everything to sound like it. And like other have said, you can always profile the POD patch.

Fwiw, most stuff in the rig exchange is not good for metal. Even a lot of metal-oriented profiles aren't very good. If you stick with Lasse's profiles and swap the cabs out if need be, you should be able to find something you like. My go-to tone is his modded JCM 800 with a darker-sounding Mesa cab from the OwnHammer IR library. Works for pretty much anything.

7. Jormyn

Jormyn Member

I hear an EQ difference and that's about it. Kemper tone has less mids/high-mids going on, IMO.

8. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

I agree. Im used to the pod. Im used to its high quality shitty tone.

I agree about the rig exchange... so many profiles and some are SO CLOSE yet when you try to tweak the fuckin things they get worse. Ill try what you said about the lasse stuff. I thought about buying a head and profiling and just returning it... maybe that will solve all my problems... Im in a treated room and i find that most people micing and making the profiles have horridly boxy sounding tones and i hate it. Also being that its guitar specific.. and my guitar has a "dimebucker" im fucked on anything sounding good from someone else it seems. My other guitar has an sh4 and its not much better though. I guess i just was like wtf? when i pay so much and i find the pod can almost keep up with it.

9. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

Exactly why i made the thread. Its pretty close to me... Not a 2000$ difference. Ive fucked with impulses for years and lecto etc and the kemper is better than those for sure but i still find nothing beats a real amp. I need an airy, thick midranged tone. Mesa being my fav. Ive downloaded and paid for ALL the mesa recto profiles i can find and the ones from TAF are absolute garbage for the recto packs. Best tone ive found so far is the aurora stuff. GUess im just annoyed for now. I hope i can figure it out because its so expensive ill never get it sold if i have to!

10. He's Dead, Jim

If you watch videos comparing the Kemper immediately after profiling an amp though, they're virtually identical- 95% of the way there. The reason profiles suck is because people suck at dialing in tones/micing up a cab. TAF is not good for metal either. Stymphalian, ArthurD, and SinMix do the best non-free profiles, but I would still honestly just stick with the Lasse profiles and swap the cabs out if you want a different tone. They're absolutely godly.

And get rid of your dimebuckers, those things sound like shit :lol:

edit: also, make sure with any profile you always check the amp settings. I think the first one is called clarity or tightness or something- most of the settings are fairly subtle, but this one is not and can provide pretty instant gratification by tightening up your tone in a very noticeable way. That might help with some of the TAF profiles since you already paid for them.

11. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

Ok- i did find that out too about the clarity setting. It does tighten and kill off fizz which is nice. I went on a mass tweak a thon when i first got it. I find the kemper a "sound at the source" thing though. Its not like the axe where you can tweak every tiny detail. Also what do you think about the eq before the amp and after? do you mess with it? Sometimes i find it helps tremendously and other times it kills the tone bad.

Im looking for thick ass tone thats loud as shit like this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UnSsbDGbCEc

I imagine its quad tracked, but the mids and massiveness of the tone is something i can never get!

The stuff i mixed in this thread was just for fun- im not into djent/metalcore whatever music at all.

12. SocialNumb

Again, no tips but the Kemper sounds better than you Youtube link too. :lol: Way better imo.

13. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I think you just need some better profiles and to play around more.

The KPA feels $2k better than podfarm to me, and is definitely more versatile. PODfarm can do a few tones "okay" but the KPA can do virtually every type of tone really well.

14. cfh11

cfh11 Member

you CAN endlessly tweak profiles with the kemper but it wont save a bad profile. shit in = shit out.

15. frazzlepuff

frazzlepuff Dawn of the Shred

I sometimes find it hard to get totally awesome kemper sounds for some types of metal. Mostly the Lasse pack does it for me but sometimes I think getting POD farm might be a plan. No shame in using POD Farm though if you prefer it, plenty awesome records made with it. For the record though I think that Kemper sound you posted was not bad.

16. Trevoire520

Trevoire520 Member

Maybe not what you want to hear but the Kemper clip is far better than the podfarm one imo. Kemper sits in the mix really nice whereas the pod guitars are quite harsh and bright and are stomping all over the vocals.

17. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

I totally agree- maybe thats what i should have said to begin with. THe kemper is great but for djent stuff it seems slightly lacking. WHen i mix djent type stuff podfarm seems to get bigger mids-more clarity- getting a djent tone on the kemper is kinda hard. Faster riff stuff the kemper works better than the pod and the pod really falls apart there. Same for cleans and mid gain stuff. But god damnit i bought the kemper to do it all. I agree with jeff as well that i just havent found the right profiles for me yet.

Also who has messed with the 3.0 profiling firmware? I want a di profile of a dual rectifier so i can use my own cab but no one seems to have a di of the dual in this 3.0 firmware; where the cab separation is now supposedly 100% On the rig exchange when i click to date- i dont see any straight di's of amps. This way i could set the thing how i want hopefully. I am pms'ing but it amazes me that people buy a 2000$ piece of gear and profile amps like garbage in shit rooms with too much gain dialed in on the amp-then add a pound of reverb on top of it (lulz) So i buy a kemper going "this is it!" and its like wait... i need some gear to get my own tones... The clean and mid gain shit is SO amazing though but im not sitting with a 3000 pound wife and a garage blues band. I need metal tones. Ill trade some expensive commercial shit (entire line of metal packs expensive) if someone can profile me a dual rectifier di on the new firm ware so its on its own from the cab or include a cab with it maybe. Yes im a picky whore. I have lots of commercial profiles and maybe they'll work great for your guitars or taste.

18. diseasedbeing

diseasedbeing Member

Check it out! (added new mix to top of page) soooooo much better to me. Clarity and huge mids. I Changed cabs on the engl screamer profile. I love it now. My mixing was too rushed the first time so the pod seemed better.

Edit- guitar a tad harsh in 2.5 range- but thats how the profile is with these di's - fuck it- least i got it going.

#18 diseasedbeing, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 23, 2015
  19. abt

abt BT

It's your ears. I've seen this a million times. Someone gets a new amp, new guitar, new whatever, and they keep going back to the old one. Don't touch POD farm for a month then listen to the Kemper. You'll hear what we're hear right away.

20. SocialNumb

There's something to be said for taste too of course.