This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Restarting the Doctor Who discussion here from the start of Season 8.

The last thread was getting a bit too messy and long in the tooth.

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Well that was underwhelming.

3. Lord Tim

Haven't seen it yet (tomorrow hopefully) but from what I've read Capaldi was awesome, the story was a bit flat, the Paternoster gang were as dumb as ever and the theme music was terrible.

But from the leaked scripts and unfinished show leaks, it looks like things pick up dramatically from EP.3 onwards.

I'll give my thoughts after I've had a chance to watch...

4. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

Capaldi was realyl good. Lots fo depths & emotion from the get go but hampered by some pretty poor writing & direction.

Overall, wasn't terrible but wasn't great.

As I keep saying: get rid of Moffat & get someone in who is a fan but isn't afraid to fuck with the formula. And who also won't pander to the fucking seppos!

5. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

It wasn't too bad, though the use of canned Looney Tunes sound effects pissed me off... it's not needed :(

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

7. Lord Tim

Yeah, OK just watched it.

Title sequence was decent, theme was pretty dire.

The pacing was all over the shop with so much padding (Clara's examination for example) and the slapstick stuff was just dumb. Let's save that for CBBC hey?

I think by now there's no mistake that Vastra and Jenny are married. Seriously, we get it. Fucking ENOUGH.

Another episode where something massive happens in an historical setting that no one remembers (giant Cyberman stomping on Victorian London anyone? This was just as bad). Yet another mysterious sassy older woman who is possibly a love interest of the Doctor...

The biggest thing that shit me was that while it made sense as to why that made such a big deal about Clara having trouble dealing with an older Doctor as a kind of way for the audience to get what is going on, it makes absolutely no sense in context of the continuity. Clara was there for every incarnation, and has talked to every Doctor over the last 2000 years. How she doesn't get how this works makes absolutely no sense at all and was a poor plot device that was entirely out of character - typical Moffat, ignore everything that came before if he has a new plot idea that doesn't work with the continuity. Dumb.

But Capaldi was awesome. He was given some terrible dialogue but man, what great potential.

Better writing and a new fucking showrunner please!

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yup LT. NAILED it.

Wife and I said exactly the same thing after watching it. It made NO SENSE that Clara was so bent out of shape over the regeneration. SHE'S SEEN THEM ALL!!

And the slapstick - way over-done. One joke, maybe two, I could deal with. But it was just too heavy-handed and prevalent.

I was also a little annoyed at the T-Rex too - as tall as Big Ben???? Seriously?????

Capaldi was indeed quite impressive. The highlight of an otherwise damned annoying episode.

9. Nitephyre

Pretty much what I was thinking... though I still like Strax, he's great.

10. Lord Tim

... holy shit.

OK, you guys know how critical I've been of Moffat's Who, and the last few seasons especially, and the first episode was OK.... but not great.

Hello, Phil Ford. My favourite Doctor Who episode thus far was Waters Of Mars, which Phil wrote and here he is again, and it's just as brilliant.

Actual character development, people actually dying and facing the consequences of their actions, the Doctor really showing his darker side, a great moral tale... THIS is Doctor Who.

Fucking FINALLY.

An easy 9/10 from me, might even go higher on the next watch.

Big smiles here. :)

11. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yup - Cara side-story thing didn't suck, some comedic moments but just sassy one-liner types and not the silly slapstick of the previous episode.

Far better episode. I am a bit more optimistic about the new season now. An episode I'd gladly watch again!

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

Some sloppy editing, some bad acting, some massive plot holes.

But some okay moments (the ending was not bad).

Disappointing - next episode looks promising though!

13. Lord Tim

Let's not let Mark Gatiss near Doctor Who anymore, please?

*sigh*

Next week DOES look good, except we have the nursery rhyme thing again, the "every day things that are scary" thing again, and the children's fears thing again. One of Moffat's 3 stories.

It does look creepy though, and I reckon Peter will sell it a lot better than Matt would have if he was still the Doctor.

Could we have another show runner and Phil Ford + RTD put on as the main writers, please?

14. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

It's all turning too much into a farce under Moffet & Gatiss.
    Tonight's episode was so very very fucking annoying.
    Clara was consistent but turning the Dr into a bickering child to impress her was so stupid. A great actor played the Sheriff but was criminally underused. No explanation for the robots, so it will all be left to a big stupid pay off with this Promised Land for machines & the Missy woman (who didn't appear tonight, thought she would've taken the shrieff off).

Yes, new showrunners are really really needed.

15. Nitephyre

Last week was solid, this week was filler again. :/

16. Lord Tim

I've been watching RTD's kid's show Wizards vs. Aliens a lot lately, and it was co-created with Phil Ford. The latest episode was written entirely by Phil and it was more intelligent, exciting and deep than most of the last 3 series of Doctor Who. And this is a fucking KIDS show specifically, not a show that should appeal to the entire family like Doctor Who is.

Russell definitely knows how to make you give a fuck about characters, and Phil knows how to write clever and dark, not just complicated, and the arcs they do make sense.

This shit needs to come back to a show that has Peter Capaldi as a lead. It would be jaw-droppingly good.

17. cowboy

cowboy Member

Will definitely check it out :) If nothing else I'm sure my 5 year old son will love it :)

18. Nitephyre

I do think it's time for a serious and intelligent Doctor now... sure, 50 years of hijinks is nice, but it could be so much greater... though the problem that lies therein is that serious sci-fi doesn't seem to be wanted any more (not me, bring it on!), look what happened in the end with BSG. :(

19. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yup. That one wasn't bad.

Some damn laugh out loud one liners :) (The well, and the makeup, especially)

There were a few "HUH?" moments, a few things that either weren't full explored/fleshed out, but that's nit-picking really. End of the day, I really ENJOYED the episode - equal parts amusing, entertaining, and a little bit scary.

20. Lord Tim

That was frustratingly above average for me.

There were individual parts which were absolutely brilliant. The scene in Rupert's room when the bedspread rose up behind them was amazing, and I loved the Doctor stealing the coffee.

The scene at the end with the Doctor as a boy and how it linked to the 50th was great too (although it was problematic from a continuity point of view).

But how everything all joined up was a complete Moffatt mess. The "look at how clever we can be" aspect of it make the sum of its parts LESS than the whole.

I personally would have loved an entire episode inside the orphanage and have the "thing under the blanket" monster - even if it wasn't ever explained - be the scary focal point. Tying that into the Doctor's past, retconning even more stuff with Clara in it, and then having it ultimately being nothing was stupid. "Why does everyone have this dream? Wat was that thing under Rupert's bed?" OK, so we found out that it was Clara that scared the Doctor... great. So what about everyone else? It made no sense, and it was like a clever device just to show off a link to a younger Doctor.

Loving Capaldi as the Doctor though. Even Moffatt's writing wasn't bad in this. But as an overall show runner and the guy who OK's the episodes without anyone keeping him in check when things are just too silly and need reining in, I still say he needs to go.