This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. cowboy

cowboy Member

Another good episode with some very good special effects.

Some excellent frights and great laughs too!

2. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Yeah, the CGI was pretty good this week - not quite Hollywood movie budget good but great for a BBC show. Absolutely loved the new time vortex - that's the best it's ever looked!

Good episode. Kind of a nothing plot again though, with a bit of a fizzer of an ending but some fantastic character moments. When Graham went back to the apartment, it was genuinely emotional.

I think if they can get a tighter plotted episode and cross it with Chibnall's excellent character work, it'd be right on point.

I'd give it a generous 8/10, due mostly to it not really going anywhere but saved by the character work.

3. Lord Tim

Hmm... If you believe a lot of the comments Online, this was the clunker of the season this week. I thought it was fairly decent but nothing particularly great. 6.5/10 for me.

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah, least best episode so far. A few good moments and the effects were great again.

Still, would have been a contender for best episode in some of the previous recent seasons :p

5. Lord Tim

A point off for kind of redundant aliens (the story would have worked fine without them) and a point off for some fairly wooden guest star acting, but otherwise ep.6 was excellent.

I'm liking what Chibnall is doing with the direction of this season but It's really ramming home that while he may be an excellent showrunner, he's a fairly average writer. The non-chibbers stories have really been the shining moments so far. More of that, please!

8/10

6. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah agree wholeheartedly. Solid, but so easily could have been so much better :)

7. Lord Tim

There we go, probably the most "Doctor Who" an episode has been in years. Fun romp, well executed. Nice! 8.5/10

8. cowboy

cowboy Member

Kinda making me all warm and fuzzy how good this season has been so far!

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

10. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

I like that synopsis... would've been a nice touch to use his era Doctor Who logo though.

11. Lord Tim

The Witchfinders - solid episode once again. Nothing outstanding but very enjoyable. 8/10.

I think we really need a "woah, holy fuck..!" type episode this series to really bring it home, but when all but one episode so far has been well above average for me, as opposed to the often more miss than hit ones in the last few years, I'm pretty satisfied :)

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

An enjoyable romp is how I could best sum that episode up :)

And yes would love just one episode to really hit it out of the park, but so far so good!

13. Lord Tim

Odd episode this week. Some really awesome bits, cool Slayer shirt, and a very... different ending. I can see what the writer was going for but I'm not entirely sure it landed completely for me. Regardless, I thought it was pretty good overall. 8/10

14. cowboy

cowboy Member

Landed for me. I thought it was really good - some fantastic lines in there. I'd give it an 8.5 :-D

15. Nitephyre

I'm a bit "eh" with this season. Can't quite put my finger on why, maybe it just feels overly rebooted (again again).

16. Lord Tim

The "reboot" thing was definitely intentional because Moffat's Who go so convoluted and self-referential. He tried to fix that last season but it worked as well as "I'm too well known, I'm going to go back into the shadows" during Matt's run, which lasted all of 3 episodes. :rolleyes:

But I do agree. I like a lot of things about this season that have been missing for years, but it hasn't had the big "holy shit" moment yet, and a lot of the baddies are kind of ehhh. Chibnall's episodes especially all suffer from the same thing - amazing build up, great character moments, but then get really talky around the middle where there's just far too much exposition in one go, then it ends far too fast with far too neat of a resolution. That's one of the biggest problems with this series with regards to it feeling a bit bland - the end just doesn't land as well as it should to make the good parts of each episode pay off.

I really like a lot of Segun's music too, especially in the atmospheric parts, but man I miss Murray in the exciting action parts especially. I think that's one thing that's been almost a big of a tonal shift as the change to anamorphic lenses and more cinematic style shots. You don't realise how much of a bearing music has on a scene until it's different or gone. As a test, and I think it's been taken down by the BBC now, but someone put some modern Murray Gold music over 70s Who and the difference in tone was night and day.

I really do like what Chibnall is trying to do, but he definitely needs to hand the writing over to other people for a lot of it and just supervise the characters and arc, I think. If there's one thing he's great at, it's that. Broadchurch is a prime example of incredible character development, and you can see that kind of thing in Graham especially.

Overall I think it's a good step in the right direction but it's not quite there yet. S12 will be the make or break for this team I think.

17. Lord Tim

Series finale: awesome! Really enjoyed that! :) I would have liked the action scenes to be cut a little tighter and the music a bit more upbeat in places, and the meeting between Tim Shaw and Graham to be milked a bit more, but overall I'm pretty happy. 9/10 from me.

What's weird is looking at comments in the Rate/Review thread on the Doctor Who forum, I'm very much in the minority. A lot of people thought it was really dull. I don't get it...! And the less said about the people whining on the Facebook page the better. The "fans" have been the worst thing about this series by far.

So who do we think the big bad is for the New Year's Day special? My money is on the Daleks.

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah odds-on for Daleks I reckon :)

Another very very good episode. Dull? HUH :/ Some people....

Easily the most well-rounded, consistent, series in YEARS. YEARS!

19. Nitephyre

I actually enjoyed that episode as well Timmeh, but didn't realise it was the last for the season already. As for a Big Bad, I think it could be another new one.