This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Doctor Who (new series) discussion

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 20, 2008.

1. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

The Fisher King looked awesome but we had no reason to care about him.

Was very stupid over all. Pretty much pointless, killing all previous development & fun.

2. cowboy

cowboy Member

Yeah agreed. That 'breaking the 4th wall' REALLY irritated me.

NEXT!

3. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Well, I expected tonight's ep to be crap but it surprised me. Not that it was great, mind you - a lot of it was just meh filler, but there was enough to drag it out of the shit tier and make it entertaining, and the end was definitely worth watching (I won't spoil it, but nice to see a few old faces, so to speak). Next week's has the potential of being excellent if they do it right. Hopefully Moffat won't meddle with Jamie Mathieson's story too much!

4. cowboy

cowboy Member

My thoughts exactly. Didn't think I would like it, a few things that annoyed me, but overall it was oddly entertaining!

5. Shadow298

I thought that it was utterly shit house.

Why were there electric eels in Norway for a start?

& the Doctor is just so inconsistent.

More brilliant & strong acting from Capaldi bogged down by a shite script.

6. Lord Tim

And yeah, you'd have to be a pretty shitty army if a bunch of electric eels can take you out. ;)

7. cowboy

cowboy Member

LOL - one of the many things that did irk me. And going with the old 'vikings wear horned helmets' things? VIKINGS DID NOT HAVE HORNS ON THEIR HELMETS RAH!

8. Nitephyre

Nitephyre LORDwhore™/Andy's ManSWOS

Well, that was utterly shit... except for his face-picking-reveal moment. Though, is anyone suspicious that Ashildr is going to be the new Companion?

9. cowboy

cowboy Member

10. cowboy

cowboy Member

That one... yeah, things irked me.

NEXT.

11. Shadow298

Wasn't shit but wasn't great.

The usual good flash of ideas buried under stupidity.

A waste of an epic looking monster too.

Next week they seem to break the rules again & bring back a dead character -Ozgood who was killed by Missy last season for no reason but they're going to claim that the dead one was the Zigon doppleganger.

12. cowboy

cowboy Member

What annoyed me most about that episode (and forgive the SPOILERY comments below so if you haven't watched yet don't read on)....

I try and forgive a lot of the things that irk me about Doctor Who, by saying to myself "its in essence, a kids/family show". But then they go and have, basically, dick jokes? NOT COOL at all - try explaining what "well hung" means to your six year old son watching with you! :p

And yeah, 5 seconds of invasion from out of space gone in a flash. Explosions everywhere yet zero damage when the Doctor and Me save the day. Fairly serious and interesting stuff ruined by stereotypical bumbling soldiers. Centuries of pent up angst in Me completely reversed by a couple of lasers from out space. etc etc etc

13. Nitephyre

What six year old boy DOESN'T make dick jokes? :p

Srsly though, yeah.

14. Shadow298

Whilst the latest Dr Who episode "The Zaigon Invasion" wasn't bad, it was needless confusing & convoluted.

the Dr missed some very obvious marks with things happening & they wrote back in some weirdness to get over the fact that they had needlessly killed Osgood last sesson. Changing what the Zaigons can do all the time is also exceptionally annoying. They aren't shapeshifter, they used technology to mimic people & need their bodies to keep doing it. Having them like any other shapeshifter race is stupid & they could've just used a new race for that/

Sick of all this hybrid stuff, when the hybrid has long established to have been River.

15. Lord Tim

I'm running behind and only just saw The Woman That Lived.

Wow. Shithouse.

Let's see if the Zygon one will be any better...

16. Nitephyre

To me it was just a big zomg Muslims wrapped up Zygon coating. There was one particular line early on and I'm like "Ugh, I'll finish watching this while I'm on the Nopetrain to Fuckyouistan :/"

17. Lord Tim

Yeah, the Zygon ep. was was interesting. MASSIVELY better than last week's shitfest, and quite a lot to like about it, but it felt really clumsy in how it did the whole ISIS / Muslim thing, and the obfuscation of whether Osgood is human or Zygon was an eye rolling moment. Yes, very "clever." We get it, you don't want to tell us and you've painted yourself into a corner and the only way out is to misdirect or lie about stuff.

It remains to be seen how they handle next week - if there's anything Moffat's era of Who fails at is having a good conclusion to anything. I remember being really impressed with The Hungry Earth back in Series 5 because the suspense and build up was awesome, and then feeling utterly let down by the shit Cold Blood conclusion the next week, which undid all of that and had basically "and then we did a couple of funny jokes, and it was fixed. The end." as the premise.

We all live in hope, hey?

18. cowboy

cowboy Member

HAHAHAAHA - yeah wishful thinking :p

I find that if I've pretty much given up hoping for a "great" episode of doctor who. Now I'm just watching it because the kids like it.

19. Nitephyre

I persevere because... ugh, I don't know!

20. Shadow298

Whilst this weeks episode was much better than last week's, it still wasn't great.

What really saved it was Peter's epic speech about war. He really showed off his acting chops & is the kind of stuff that he should've been doing this whole time.

was reading recently that one reason for the poor quality of the show of late (other than Moffat) is struggles between the Dr Who team & the BBC heads -especially around if it should be a kid's show or an adult one. Add to the fact that the BBC is shafting Dr Who in favour of "Dancing with the Stars", pushing the airing time later each week -away from the kid's audience that Moffat wants (basically because they don't complain about the shite that he does).
    Rumours are also swirling that Moffat wants an out to focus on other projects but won't quit because of pride & the desire to turn audiences around to his way of doing things.