This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DREAM THEATER Images, Words & Beyond 25th Anniversary N.A. Tour

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by KingsGene, Jul 26, 2017.

1. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

2. Charlie Dudley

Charlie Dudley So where do we begin and what else can we say?

Decided, after seeing the setlist that I needed to find a way to see this tour or else I'd probably never see anything that wasn't largely Astonishing-esque. So, I'm making the trip to Asheville, NC from Birmingham in a little over two weeks.

3. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

Saw this last Monday in Cincinnati, and as a long time fan who has seen DT nearly 20 times over the years..... This was on of, if not THE BEST, show I have ever seen them put on. The set list..... The tightness of the band.... And the return to including long portions of non-album material surrounding some of the songs is very reminiscent of seeing them back in the early 90s all over again. I sincerely hope they are recording somewhere on this tour for a DVD.

4. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

I saw the show in Peoria IL a week or so. While the band was firing on all cylinders instrumentally, they are not doing James Labrie any favors by making him try to do stuff from 25 years ago. He was seriously laboring on the I & W material, and this coming from a staunch Labrie supporter. I am hoping the show I saw was just an aberration as many earlier reviews were stating how well he was doing with these shows. I still give him props for trying, and at least then I know he's not using pre-recorded backing tracks like so many other supposed "live" bands.

5. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

You can definitely tell he has aged on "Take the Time" and "Under a Glass Moon", but he makes it work still..... No, he definitely cannot hit and hold the notes he used to, but what he does with it still works.

6. NorseBlood

NorseBlood aka steel_templar

I guess you can ask James at the PPUSA XIX meet & greet why they cancelled the Nashville show. :-D

7. Sir Exar Kun

Sir Exar Kun Member

They made a statement about it early on..... Something to do with their stage rigging not fitting into the venue.....

8. NorseBlood

NorseBlood aka steel_templar

Not surprised. War Memorial is an old auditorium & there are better places they could have played. TPAC would have been a better choice. I'm thinking the sound at the War Memorial would not have been very good for something like I&W.

9. guardian26

guardian26 Mike the Cop

Saw them in Boston last night. Excellent show, I highly recommend that anyone on the fence go see them. They sound awesome and while I agree that LaBrie isn't the same guy you hear on the album he was great! Mangini really elevates the band too! GO SEE IT!

10. LarryD

LarryD Member

I didn't go see the show because I can't stand the Orpheum. Lame excuse I know, but I couldn't make it anyway. Playing at the Orpheum sealed the deal anyway ........ that place has been run into the ground....... not worthy of hosting Dream Theater any longer.

Tommy3328 likes this.
  11. Kez

Kez pronounced Keez

AND GET THOSE KIDS OFF MY LAWN!

:p

12. Fixxer315

Fixxer315 Member

Still disappointed that they didn't play Atlanta as the setlist is amazing, even without I&W.

13. KingsGene

KingsGene God of Thunder

14. Charlie Dudley

Charlie Dudley So where do we begin and what else can we say?

This show was fantastic. Saw them in Asheville last week. Seeing Portnoy and then Dream Theater within months is crazy. Mangini is a machine and definitely did the Portnoy drums justice. I absolutely hated The Astonishing, and I'm hope their 2019 release goes back to more previous music than a continuation of that.

15. Michael1071

Michael1071 New Metal Member

I saw the Dallas show last Saturday. Great show. However, It did seem like James Lebrie was laboring at times.

16. Kez

Kez pronounced Keez

I saw this tour in Baltimore last week, and JLB was definitely struggling early. Oddly enough, he seemed to rally toward the end of the I&W set, and then hit some really surprising notes during ACoS, so all in all, a commendable job.