This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Dream Theater - Octavarium

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Yngtchie Blacksteen, May 26, 2005.

1. bball_1523

bball_1523 Member

yeah, someone should delete this entire thread.

2. Androz

Androz Lord of the Cheese

+1

3. Emanuele

Emanuele Member

The music in the part "Medicate me Infiltrate me Side effects appear As my conscience slips away" of the Octavarium song, reminds me the Spice Girls' "Too much" song "Too much of nothing is just as tough, I need to know the way to feel to keep me satisfied" :D :ill:

4. Barking Pumpkin

Maybe the band shouldn't set us up to expect something "progressive" then, because from what I remember of the hyping up the album, the band said things like not to expect more ToT-like material, and to expect something new and therefore progressive. Progressive this is not. Good music this is not. I don't have to like it just because it's Dream Theater.

It's funny you mentioned Metallica and orchestra, because this is exactly what the orchestra on Octavarium sounds like.

No, that's not what I'm calling progressive. Just to lay down a few bands I would call progressive (not "prog" note, but progressive):

Ulver
    Solefald
    Arcturus
    John Zorn
    Pain Of Salvation
    Devin Townsend
    Spastic Ink
    Subterranean Masquerade
    Scholomance

That's real progressive music, just in case you thought I meant I wanted Dream Theater to sound like Symphony X or something, not that I don't enjoy Symphony X.

5. Barking Pumpkin

And my comment about the orchestra was spawned by this:

And also of course because of the "omg dream theater used an orchestra, so progressive omg" raving I've seen.

6. Progbass

Progbass Member

IMO, thesedays it's very hard to define what's progressive or not, so you shouldn't just go and say "That's real progressive music" since there's kind of power and technical metal too in your list, some of them might not be any more real progressive than DT.

7. arglebargle

arglebargle Member

This thread is moronic and completely unnecessary.

8. Barking Pumpkin

Real progressive means they're doing new things for music. All of those bands are. You can have influences and still do new things obviously.....but Dream Theater doesn't do this.

9. TheWhisper

TheWhisper Cobra Kai Never Dies

Progressive is a term, nowdays, that describes a genre...get over it. Everything needs a lable these days, proven by this thread of what is or isn't progressive, and the genre of music that bands like DT, and others, fall into is the prog-metal genre.

I've seen this same kinda discussion on prog-rock boards, by those up-tight snobs. Spock's, or Marillion, or IQ, aren't progressive because they're not doing anything new blah, blah fuckin' blah. If you like something listen to it...if you don't great. Who cares what what you call 'it'.

Now, the real burning question is - what differentiates 'Hair Metal' from 'Glam Metal'? Discuss.

10. sknight

sknight Are You Morbid?

LI, NY-The center of heavy metal and SUVs
    Here's the summary of this thread:

1.Some people like Octavarium
    2.Some people don't like Octavarium
    3.Some people like talking about Dream Theater on a Symphony X board.

11. dargormudshark

dargormudshark Senior Member

Hair is 80's metal in which the hair was teased up...Glam was 70's rock with an asexual look and sung very androgenously.

12. Barking Pumpkin

I've mentioned this. Yes, prog-metal is a genre. The most obvious bands in this genre are Dream Theater, and the many Dream Theater clones, just check many of the "prog" bands that have performed at Prog-Power to see this.

However, progressive music does not equate to "prog" or "prog-metal." It means exactly what it says.

13. arglebargle

arglebargle Member

*sigh* Jesus Christ I'm getting sick of this argument.

Bands like DT progress structurally and stylistically within each song. Bands like Arcturus progress stylistically from album to album.

Both are progressive, in different ways.

14. Liquid Tension

Face it none of you know how to listen to a new disc the correct way! LOL

What does John Zorn sound like and if there are multinple discs available which is the best to start with?

Thanks....

15. Barking Pumpkin

John Zorn is an avant-garde musician. If you like people/groups like Mike Patton, Mr. Bungle, Fantomas, Secret Chiefs 3, Estradasphere, Trevor Dunn, he's a big influence on all of them, and in fact has worked with Mike Patton, Trevor Dunn, and Trey Spruance quite a bit.

I'd check out this site (down at the moment), it does a great job of explaining his different projects and describing most of his albums, so just pick one you like the description of, and try it......I kind of randomly started out with 'Spillane' and really loved that.

16. buchkoba00

buchkoba00 Member

Barking Pumpkin - I think we're very much in agreement with regards to what bands are actually progressive (although I don't know everyone on that list).

But I really fail to see why you are expecting this type of innovation from DT anymore.

Funny, everything I heard from the band was that this was more of a throw back to the older melodic style of DT, and I think that was pretty accurate.

I certainly don't look for DT to innovate like Devin or POS or Sigur Ros, I look for them to play their own brand of prog metal, and it certainly seems like that's what they did on Octovarium.

17. dargormudshark

dargormudshark Senior Member

I don't think DT has progressed structurally at all

18. TheWhisper

Well, 'prog' is just progressive shortened...like S:X is just Symphony X shortened.

19. TheWhisper

That was a rhetorical question meant to bring levity to a subject that people get too emotional and serious about. But you didin't answer the question. You're talking about 70's glam rock, I asked the difference between Glam Metal & Hair Metal.:)

20. Liquid Tension

Thanks Barking Pumpkin...