This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Drum Samples, Replacement, Triggers FAQ

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by 006, Jun 15, 2008.

1. 006

006 Member

I didn't mention Battery simply because it's not a sound replacer, but more of a VSTi that you can load drum sounds into. However, if you had something like KTDrumTrigger where you were converting audio to MIDI then Battery would definitely fit the bill, just like EZDrummer, DFHS, BFD or Addictive Drums.

~006

2. HatewerK

HatewerK 1.21 Gigowatt Generator

About ghost notes: I usually make a copy of the already compressed + Drumagog'ed + EQed + maybe reverbered snare track, and mute it all except for the ghost notes (or low volume drum rolls) parts. Then I mute those parts in the main snare track. Next thing is to lower the sensibility in Drumagog (in the copied track) so that it catches all of those mofo snare ghost hits. Should I do this thing on the main snare track, I'd have a flam mess all along :D

Sometimes I also tend to add a bit of short delay (23-30ms), 20-25% wet mix and no repetitions (or a simple doubler, maybe even better), especially when I don't have proper drum roll samples. This way, even single-hit low power snare hits gain that "brushing" sound. Last thing, I raise the volume of the modified track by a notch or two: with 4 guitar tracks, screaming and growling vocals, OH and such, you want to make sure those drum roll parts don't come out as if the drummer stopped playing :)

On my band's MySpace page (in the signature below) you can listen to the raw mix of a new track, where I used this method for the ghost notes and drum rolls. Let me know what you think!

3. HatewerK

HatewerK 1.21 Gigowatt Generator

Oh, and BTW: for metal, especially if you have a pussy-hitting drummer, make sure you put a compressor + noise gate before Drumagog (the Steinberg dynamics plugin will work wonders, we're not striving for sonic quality here cause our sound will be eventually sampled, so better to keep the CPU usage low) - it will give consistency to your parts, helping drumagog use the right (=hi power) snare hits during the song, keeping the lower power hits for subtler passages.

4. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

This is kind of on topic. Well maybe not but it's a good video so I'm gonna post it:

BEAT DETECTIVE:

[ame]http://vids.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=vids.individual&videoid=14089040[/ame]

5. cobhc

cobhc Amiga Enthusiast

I just wanna add that the pro version of Drumagog, will do with midi what you mentioned KTDrumTrigger can do (can be fed into DFHS/EZDrummer).

6. greyskull

greyskull Member

Very nice!!

Consider your trick stolen!
    cheers!:headbang:

7. coneyis

coneyis I am the Warchild!

8. petrucciator101

petrucciator101 New Metal Member

hmmm i must try this now!!

9. Damphire

Damphire Member

I have one question concerning the snare samples posted on this forum. How do I combine the top and bottom samples? with 2 instances of drumagog?

I also don't know how much of each is used. I program my drums so I use drumagog's midi features, I use 100% blend for the snare when its an all in one sample, but how do I blend the top and bottom samples?

Thanks

10. 2000ContourSVT

You would replace the snare top track with one instance of drumagog and the stand bottom track with another instance of drumagog. Im not sure if you can replace the top and bottom if they are both merged to one track.

11. fade_2_black

fade_2_black Member

Awesome man, cheers!

12. schivmeister

schivmeister #1QVFan

I can't express my gratitude enough towards: http://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=20462

Name: DrumReaplacer
    Plug-in Format: REAPER JS
    Requirements: REAPER
    Cost: Free (GPL)
    Quality: 4 stars (Drumagog would be the benchmark; 5)

13. ::XeS::

::XeS:: Member

What do you usually do if you wanna compress a track?
    I mean, do you compress the original track and after that apply Drumagog/Aptrigga? Or do you compress the "mixed" track after the replacement?

14. JBroll

JBroll I MIX WITH PHYSICS!!!!

If the sample is already pretty squished you could compress before replacement, but otherwise I'd say that compressing after blending would be more consistent.

Jeff

15. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Hey guys, maybe this has been mentioned, but I can't find it anywhere - I'm using KTDrumTrigger and diggin' on it, but does anyone know of a free/CHEAP (<$50) sampler that can accompany it?

16. ::XeS::

::XeS:: Member

Did you ever try to put the sample not completelly in time with the original track? I ask because listening some Tue Madsen production, it seems that there are very little flames on the snare/kick hits that sound cool and I think it's a little delay of the sample....did you ever noticed this?

17. 006

006 Member

Marcus...have you not heard of apTrigga? :lol:

~006

18. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Haha, I know, but isn't APTrigga a replacer rather than a sampler? (meaning, it goes through and prints samples to a track rather than being fed a MIDI signal and playing back in real time?)

19. 006

006 Member

Nah man, you can send a MIDI signal into it and it will trigger in real time. :)

~006

20. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Oooh, shit shall be bought poste haste, then! Thanks Mike!