This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DrumGizmo

Discussion in 'Backline' started by muldjord, May 7, 2013.

1. muldjord

muldjord Member

Just joined this magnificent forum although I've been reading it for a while. I just want to point you in the direction of a drum plugin I help develop. It is called DrumGizmo and is both open source and free. It aims to emulate the recording of a real drumkit with multichannel output and a full microphone setup.

It's also cross-platform and can be downloaded as a VSTi for Windows or lv2 for Linux (no mac yet, sorry).

We released 0.9.3 yesterday. Go check it out at http://www.drumgizmo.org

If you want to see a short demonstration, check out this tutorial I made yesterday. Find that here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=S0hJ74nNJ7E

We plan on releasing a bunch of drumkits for the plugin over the next 6 months'. Also, the file format is completely open and based on xml, so I you have the courage, you can create your own kits. An editor actually exists right now, but it is not really ready for the public. It is included in the sources though, so you can use it if you want. It's called DGEdit.

Anyways, we really want to spread the word about this plugin, and any feedback will be greatly appreciated. Also, consider joining us on the officla irc channel at Freenode, channel #drumgizmo.

Thanks guys! :headbang:

2. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

This looks really cool for being free!! I'll have to check this out when I have more time.

Thanks for sharing and welcome to the forum!

3. muldjord

muldjord Member

Thanks man, we have many features planned for future releases, so it'll get even better from here on out. The basic premise for me is that I would like to ditch my current proprietary drum plugins. So we're aiming for much of the same functionality. :headbang:

4. otamatone

otamatone Member

seems nice. Thank you !
    I'll try soon

5. FF666

FF666 Member

Woah, sounds really really good.
    Very good Job guys.

A good idea would be making compatible drum maps with superior drummer, addictive drums and other popular softwares. I know it's just editing the xml map file, and some articulations are not possible, but I am a fat lazy :loco:

¿And how does it work the humanizer? ¿Any tips?

6. anotherpaul

anotherpaul Member

Wow, great stuff here. Being a software developer myself I greatly appreciate this. Videos look great, I will try it out ASAP. What we really need though is an open source alternative to Drumagog and Slate Trigger with presets that are easily created from WAV files.
    I remember Lasse has put out his fully sampled drumkit. Is it possible to make a DrumGizmo patch with those samples?

7. muldjord

muldjord Member

If what he has is an entire kit recorded each drum individually with a full recording setup of several mics, and each drum has velocity hits throughout the entire spectrum, then yes, it is certainly possible to convert it to DrumGizmo.

DrumGizmo doesn't aim to be a trigger plugin so far, but since we have the entire engine runnin already, it shouldn't be too difficult to make it recieve raw wave input instead of midi.

I will ask the main developer about this.

Also, these requests would be greatly appreciated in our irc channel at Freenode. It's stuff like this that we discuss. The channel is #drumgizmo.

We probably won't aim to make it compatible with the ezdrummer and superior drummer kits. It would probably be illegal to do so anyway so... But I guess nothing could keep you from doing an entire "virtual recording session" using the kits and then use dgedit to convert it to DrumGizmo. But it's not something we are the least interested in doing. Our mission is to create completely free and open drumkits, and hopefully make you guys do your own kits. That would be awesome!

All kits we release will quite certainly be creative commons and therefore free to use. I have a complete death metal drumkit coming up in a few months.

8. muldjord

muldjord Member

At the moment the humanizer only does one thing. If it detects several hits one after another on the same drum, it will lower the velocity of the midi notes according to the attack and release values. We plan to integrate more stuff into the humanizer over time. Personally I always turn humanizers off, since I like to handprogram the details instead. But each to his own taste. :kickass:

9. muldjord

muldjord Member

Btw, if I answer a bit slowly, it's because I am at the Linux Audio Conference these next 4-5 days. I will try to keep checking back here for your answers. Appreciate it guys!

10. nezvers

nezvers Beast

Seems it will have feature to make own kits, but how?
    Will there be separate editor?

11. aviel

aviel Member

seems like the GUI isnt working on reaper. all i get is a black window

12. Fredrik-Ablaze

Didn't get it to work in reaper and when I load the instrument in Cubase elements 6 it crashes the program

13. DavePiatek

DavePiatek Member

I've been waiting for someone to do a purpose-built drum sampler with multi-out for a long time. Kontakt is OK, but it's a bit clunky. Drumagog and Trigger don't do multi-out. Any plans to do a Pro Tools compatible version of this?

14. PD-Baraka

PD-Baraka Member

A fellow dane i can hear from the video. :D

15. muldjord

muldjord Member

Thank you for your replies! I will get back to you as soon as I am on an ordinary keyboard. On the phone right now.

To those of you who experience crashes, please state your specs and let me know exactly what you did up until the point where it crashed. What kit did you load etc.

16. PD-Baraka

PD-Baraka Member

It wont show up in the instruments-list in studio one 2,5 on win8.

17. muldjord

muldjord Member

Specs? cpu? ram? 64/32bit windows? 64/32 bit software? Where did you put the vst? Did you read the readme? :)

18. PD-Baraka

PD-Baraka Member

Yes i have read the readme and plastered the dll in all of my vst plugin folders to try that out, but nothing.

studio one 2.5 64bit.
    windows 8 64bit
    intel 2600k cpu
    16gb corsair vengeance ram
    asus rampage iv extreme-z motherboard

19. FF666

FF666 Member

This is working pretty fine on Samplitude 10.

Another suggestion would be an option like the cache of superior drummer. I always use it.
    I don't need to load allllllllll the samples, just the ones in my midi file. It could save a lot of RAM. Instead of 600mb or 1gb it could be done with 100-200mb.

20. muldjord

muldjord Member

The plugin is 32bit, that might be causing some trouble, not sure. And we haven't tested it at all on Windows 8, since we don't have any machines running that, so I'm a bit unsure whether there might be some permission issues with it. Try checking the permissions on the dll, and also make sure you check that the dll hasn't been blacklisted in your software and doesn't load because of that.