This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

DT+SX shows setlist

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Helios, Sep 27, 2007.

1. Helios

Helios Member

Yesterday there has been the first show of the european tour with Dream Theater

If anyone has been there could please tell us the setlist of both bands? I' m seeing them on the 30th October at Padova, so I' m quite interested in that

2. FretSlug

FretSlug Member

Symphony X played for 35 minutes.

The setlist was:
    Set the world on fire
    Domination
    Serpent's Kiss
    Paradise Lost
    Inferno
    and last, but not least Sea of Lies.

I think that's about it. They were great, but the soundengineer was just completely out there somewhere with his/her ideas - couldn't hear the guitar at all and for example the backing vocals were extremely loud.
    I couldn't care less about DT, but what I can tell you that in their setlist of 2 hours there were at least 8 great minutes with 'Take the Time' and Metropolis pt.1. If you are into the newer stuff, well, then you might be able to enjoy the show :)

3. progmetaldan

progmetaldan Member

wow, if they're playing Take The Time live again, that's awesome! Do they do an extended JP solo going out the end of that song?

4. E. Mannerheim

E. Mannerheim New Metal Member

SyX were great but the set was waaay too short, only 35 minutes (the intro was Oculus Ex Inferni from tape, so they played barely 30 minutes :mad: ) Dream Theater played almost 2½ hours, that's waaay too much wankery. :rolleyes:

5. Horus

Horus and his imaginary friend

Holy crap, I haven't seen a setlist that bad since Kamelot's 2006 set.

6. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I don't understand why they still play Sea of Lies. Domination is the new "bass intro" song, anyway. Same with Inferno... way overplayed. They've got their ballad covered, and they needed to play Serpent's Kiss since it's their "single," plus Set the World on Fire is a great opener. Now just throw Walls of Babylon in there, and perhaps an older, thrashier song like Out of the Ashes, and you've got epic win.

I also think two and a half hours is way too long to play if you've got an opening band or two. Don't get me wrong - I like a lot of DT's stuff - but 150 minutes of mostly soulless wanking after Symphony X tears the stage up is a bit too much to handle.

7. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

I'm really pissed off. I travelled 10 hours in train, spent almost 200€ in total, just to see Symphony X play 6 songs... SIX SONGS! 35 MINUTES! 0,5833333... hours! Every second of it was amazing... but... sigh*

... WHO THE FUCK THOUGHT THAT 35 MINS WOULD BE ENOUGH FOR SYMPHONY X?!!?!?

DT was merely ok. It seemed like they tried to compensate the fact that they aren't quite as good as Symphony X with 3 times bigger stage, better sounds and flashy animation screen. Half the time I enjoyed it, half the time I was a bit bored, especially in the middle (The wankery). In The Presence of Enemies, Constant Motion and Take The Time along with some other songs worked best for me. The played great throughout on the technical aspect and James Labrie was better than expected if you worry about that.

8. PrgrsveMetalnChains

PrgrsveMetalnChains Vocal Prince

I wasn't there...but I feel you 100%.

I would love to hear Accolade I and II back to back rather than the Odyssey for a few shows as well. Or even both!!! MWAHAHA

9. Lucius Octavion

Or underplayed V or Twilight stuff.

10. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I wasn't there, either; I was just going by the setlist.

I hear you about the Accolades, though. The first time I saw them in March 2003 they played a medley of the Accolades and it was awesome! What I REALLY want to see is Divus Pennae ex Tragoedia and The Divine Wings of Tragedy back to back! That would arguably be the coolest encore ever!

11. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I hear you. I'd give a body part (not really) to see them play The Relic, In the Dragon's Den, Absence of Light, A Fool's Paradise, or Rediscovery live.

12. ShadowsWithin

ShadowsWithin Member

i'd like to hear them play Masquerade live, 35 min is gay but it's awsome to see that DT is playing Take The Time (by far my favorite song of theirs)

too bad Jordan is playing the key parts...kevin was better, and more vintage in his keyboards.

EDIT: Acolade would be awsome to hear as well, even thoguh i've never seen symphony x live...fuckin 2 venues at Gigantour...

13. Marq

Marq Member

Wait so Symphony X played on a different/smaller stage? What the fuck is wrong with Dream Theater or whoever set this tour up? Symphony X should start at about 7 pm and play until 8:30, giving DT 9-11:30 to play. 35 minutes of Symphony X is just wrong. BTW, Paradise Lost beats the shit out of Systematic Chaos.

14. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

I completely agree with this post. Before this gig I had thought that Rudess is quite cool. But to tell the truth, all the synth soloing was just too much to tolerate.. And Accolade live... Would be fantastic. Some day I'll see Symphony X on their own gig. That I promise to myself-

15. Lucius Octavion

Jajajaja!

16. Detective Clarence Beauregard

Settle down, dude. It's not a competition. Dream Theater got Symphony X the gig on Gigantour, and they're obviously responsible for this latest tour's lineup. Dream Theater is, unfortunately, much more popular than Symphony X. Thus, they are the headliners and can have it their way. Believe me, I think Symphony X should get at least an hour to 75 minutes (as it will cut back on DT's wanking), but sometimes things just don't work out that way.

17. Wander

Wander 10+2=6

Which is such a shame.

I'm happy for the 35 minutes I got, but disapointed for the another 35 minutes, which didn't happen.

Edit: And yes, DT had a bigger stage. There was a huge black curtain on the stage. Symphony X came from the back to the (rather small) space in the front and played their set there. Then all the Symphony X's stuff in the front of the curtain was carried away and there was about 30 minute pause before the DT show started and the curtain was taken down revealing DT's stuff including Portnoy's set, which was something like 3 times bigger than Rullo's :D

18. ShadowsWithin

ShadowsWithin Member

rudess is ok but i love kevin moores lead compared to Rudess's, i also think kevin was a better songwriter, his idea where cool where as jordan rudess's arent that great.

unless Petrucci wrote those parts?

19. Horus

Horus and his imaginary friend

I hated Kevin Moore's lead tone. It wasn't cutting enough for a lead tone. If there's one thing I love, it's a good, full Saw Lead sound, kinda like Rudess's Synthesizers.com synth that he had on the Octavarium tour. Moore had alot of better patches, but as far as Leads goes, Rudess's owns Moore's.

No matter what though, Pinella's lead tones are the shit. Nothing beats Roland's late Analog Synths. I've always wanted to use a JP-8000, but I get the feeling that the SH-201 pretty much has everything that the JP has and then some. I wouldn't be surprised at least.

20. rockyracoon

So let me get this straight. SX should play for 90 minutes? They barely did that on their own headlining tour in the U.S. I understand people's frustrations at a 35 min set, but this is a DT tour. Regardless of what anyone here thinks of them, they've earned the right to play for however long they choose. The fact is, SX is lucky to be on this bill. It can only help them.

Additionally, look at many of the moves DT has made to get them where they are today(playing 2+hrs). SX has the body of work/catalog, but doesn't make any of the same career moves. Expecting SX to play for 2+ hrs is unrealistic because it will most likely never happen, except for perhaps a one-off show.