This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

DT vs Opeth.

Discussion in 'Dark Tranquillity' started by Nitronium Blood, Feb 23, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Predator's Portrait

Good man. Listen to your Opeth and then throw on your Dark Tranquility. Why settle for one over the other? ;)

2. Predator's Portrait

3. Corpse Sandwich

Corpse Sandwich Death On Rye

This is the kind of immature shit that we don't need. I just got back from the concert last night, with the Devin Townsend Band, DT, and Opeth.

I will say this much: while I already knew and loved Opeth, DT fucking blasted my mind to pieces. I was completely blown away (not to mention I got a great picture of Mikael Stanne mid-scream).

The two bands don't even compare. In my opinion, they're both fucking incredible, but I can't say one is better than the other. I listen to whatever I'm in the mood for. Sometimes I'm in the mood for Opeth, sometimes I'm in the mood for DT. Sometimes I'd rather listen to Cannibal Corpse or Dismember. Occasionally I find myself listening to Eric Clapton.

Knock off the fanboy bullshit, kids, let's just acknowledge that they're both talented bands and that some people happen to like one more than the other.

4. QRV

QRV historyphobic

Yeah, they are good at creating a mood. About the acoustic parts, I guess they're simply part of the formula; and I'd agree new Opeth is much more boring. If I compare the in-between acoustics of MAYH and BWP to the new ones, the new ones do feel emptier. But maybe it's because they've been way too overused as well.

And well, I guess it's all merely a matter of taste. I mean, I can listen to MAYH once in a while and I think I can get an idea of what you mean. It actually seems like a band I should probably like, but I'm just looking for something else in music. To each its own, I suppose.

5. Wolfman Von Jones

Wolfman Von Jones The trouble with you

Sorry to be a spoil sport, but b/c one sucks complete asshole? ;)

6. Ichiban

Ichiban Member

While I love me some Opeth (I love MAYH, Still Life, BWP and Damnation), DT wins this for me without having to even think twice. Opeth have way more misses in their catalogue to me than DT do and all Opeth songs essentially can have the same song structures. I often find myself becoming bored with Opeth too due to my disliking of progressive metal.

And for the record, Character>>>>>>Ghost Reveries.

7. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

What an educational topic. :)
    Points to whoever guesses why.

8. rahvin

rahvin keeper of the flame

i can't decide. it could be the illiterate comments, or the lack of punctuation, or the constant misspelling of tranquillity, or the inability to read previous replies, or the repetitiveness of the opinions expressed, or the attempt at defending a point that does not, by any stretch of the imagination, even exist.

9. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

rahvin: None of the above, since you seem to be implying that i was being sarcastic and i wasn't. :)

10. rahvin

sarcasm is not necessary if you were actually learning precious lessons about humanity. :p but i see your point, and i can only imagine what you find interesting in a thread like this one, much like i can only imagine you finding something interesting in a thread like this one. i almost admire your curiosity.

almost. ;)

11. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

Haha... well, the points are still there, waiting for someone to grab them... ;) But half of them go to you, as it does involve learning lessons about a particular fraction of humanity.

12. Fredy_Brown

Fredy_Brown The Line Begins To blur.

DT = Melodic Death, Gothenburg
    Opeth = Extreme Progressive metal with death metal vocal

What the fuck do you want to compare?
    Someone likes DT more, someone like Opeth more, they are different and highlights of their genres.

13. Teddeh^

Teddeh^ Mmmmmm Magners!

I love both bands and like many other solid metal fans, I never see the need to compare them. I'd compare this so-called argument with Hypocrisy vs. Unleashed or something like that. Both bands were seminal in their own right and you could say they're both Swedish death metal but apart from that they're miles apart. Although most people know this already, I will stress again that there is a good measure of friendship between the bands so there's plainly no need for this sort of thing.

If you'd have given your reasons why you prefer Opeth over DT rather than giving a 'you-know-it's-true' post then I'd have no problem. This sort of thing is exactly why although I love Opeth, I never post in the 'official' forum. For the record, I prefer then over DT because of the increased range of mood their tracks move through. Yes, their transitions (especially in the earlier albums) are clumsy, but I actually enjoy this... re: Dirge For November plus I love prog rock, so Opeth combine elements of two genres I adore. DT do have plenty of beautiful moments, but Opeth still edge it for me. Others will disagree with me, and they'd have a more than valid argument more often than not, but that's just my opinion.

14. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

This is still rather educational. Positive points go to Fredy and Teddeh, for example (now you have to be able to guess why i say it's educational).

15. KitKat

KitKat Member

I think that both bands are different and they each have great songs...

16. rahvin

not just one of them different, and the other identical, perchance?

17. marduk1507

marduk1507 Member

But now youve pushed it too far, mister! :D

18. psychdoc

psychdoc not lost to apathy

Personally, I love them both. Different styles within the musical construct of metal/death metal though. Opeth is more "progressive", experimental, and atmospheric, while DT is more concise in song structure but also more overtly melodic alternating with precision brutality. Equally great stuff in my opinion.

psychdoc

19. Magrathean

Magrathean worldbuilder

Welcome to the board, man. :)

20. Ic3queen

Ic3queen ...frozen to the core...

eheheh :tickled:

that was very lol

anyway... getting back to the "motherfucking pineapples":

i don't really get the point when i hear people saying opeth are more progressive/atmospherical (er... i've always wondered what does atmospherical really mean in terms of music :err: ) and DT more tight/straight forward.

i tend to consider opeth more "easy listening" than DT.
    and that's not a plus or a minus for them.
    it's just a difference, IMO.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.