This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Dusk Music Video Production

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Lord Tim, Sep 22, 2010.

1. Lord Tim

Lord Tim That guy from LORD

Hey guys,

Just a quick note to say that I've hopped on board with Dusk Music Video Production as a partner... as if I didn't have enough on my plate already, right? :p

I'm one of those guys who gets bored doing the same thing day in, day out, even if it's something I love. This is why LORD is a band that I really enjoy - doing an album of all of the same style as my primary project would drive me insane, and LORD is anything but samey when it comes to styles! This kind of thought process goes for everything else I do as well, including recording and production. Obviously my main job outside of LORD is running SLS Studios, but again, as much as I do love to produce albums and record amazing bands, it's something else I need to mix up with other things so I don't get burned out, even if it ultimately means piling more work onto my already full plate.

I've known James from Dusk for quite a while now, and we've worked together on LORD's "New Horizons" and "100 Reasons" clips where he filmed and I did the editing, effects and production. He recently upgraded his camera gear in anticipation for a new clip that he asked me to hop on board with him later in the year which got me thinking about how much I actually do enjoy doing video productions. We got to talking and decided to team up officially for future projects.

I also decided to splash out on a great HD camera to match James' gear, so that gives us the flexibility to work separately on projects or team up on the demanding shoots.

For those who are unfamiliar with Dusk Music Video Production, we're basically offering broadcast quality HD clips starting from $2000. Lights, actors, props, locations, storyboarding, etc. can all be sourced to make the clip something really special.

Check us out here: http://www.duskvideo.net.au/

So there you have it! If anyone wants a clip, drop James a line on the CONTACT page and we'll see what we can line up for you! :)

2. matt2006

matt2006 Member

Awesome.

Will this affect any LORD activities (recording the new album or whatever), or will you be recording other bands less (sorry if it already says it in there, I just woke up haha)?

3. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

That's exciting news Tim, great to hear!

What sort of camera did you get?

4. Lord Tim

I got a Canon EOS 7D: http://www.usa.canon.com/cusa/consumer/products/cameras/slr_cameras/eos_7d

After we did our Kylie clip with Rhys Day in Brisbane, we were blown away by the quality of the footage he got with his camera. Obviously his talent as a filmmaker and the whole production crew played a really big part in it too but, at the core, if his camera was rubbish then no amount of lighting or post production work would make the footage look as good as it did. James from Dusk recently got one for a really good price so I thought "let's look into this and see what sort of deal I cal get too", and sure enough, Bing Lee in Wollongong gave me a fucking FANTASTIC deal on one. I should be picking this up in the next week or so (has to be ordered in).

Apparently some episodes of House were filmed on this thing last year too, and this is also the camera that Anwar (black_tooth_grin) uses for his awesome live shots, so I'm pretty confident I'll at least be able to get something usable out of it, if not decent! :p

As far as it cutting into activities, it shouldn't have any impact on LORD at all because after the touring ends for this year, we're gonna be taking a break from constant touring so we can fully get into writing/preproduction mode for the next album, which won't be until very late in the year at the earliest. For other recording sessions, it won't be a massive amount of time taken from it - most shoots last maybe a day or two, and usually take a week or so for editing, so with two people working on stuff, it should really speed the process up. If we both have copies of the raw video files, we can e-mail each other the project files with cuts and let the other guy make alterations or colour grade it or whatever, so once we get a system down, it should be really streamlined. :)

5. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

I think I may have to look into this in the future, man. Seems like you guys would do a good job for the money.

6. maiL huma

maiL huma Collingwood forever

7. Lord Tim

Yeah, not too sure about that yet. I just got it this afternoon and I can tell there's gonna be a fairly steep learning curve on it, just from playing around with it for 5 minutes before. I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to this kind of thing so I reckon I'll pick it up OK, so once I get a chance to test it out, no doubt I'll find its limitations fairly quickly. :)

8. Aussie_Metalchild

Aussie_Metalchild Bass player from LORD

Ahh so you have it! That means... its coming to Japan? ;)

9. Lord Tim

It has to if I want to claim duty free. :)

10. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Kosmic Kickstarts?

11. Lord Tim

That's Arnie from our rehearsal room's project that we did a couple of years back. We actually just finished a whole album with him and a shitload of guest players (some from his original bands back in the early 80s) which you can check out here: http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/ArnieOConnections :)

12. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

I liked the track- I was just surprised to see you on it. It would be interesting someday (probably about the time you start tabbing all your music) to see a list of all the stuff you have collaborated on.

13. Lord Tim

Here's our latest video, "Velvet Claws" by the terrifying yet tasteful Chris Brooks:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qpnTZ-fzEGE&fmt=22[/ame]

:)

14. Chris Brooks

Chris Brooks www.chrisbrooks.com

Every time I tell myself I'm just gonna watch a bit (this time), I watch the whole thing again and again!

15. Spikes Red

Spikes Red Member

That clip is so good!! Well done on a great job guys, I love that guitar!!
    A few of the young budding guitarists in Adelaide are impressed, might I add. ;)

16. Chris Brooks

Great to hear!

17. Keeper of the Seven Cheese

Keeper of the Seven Cheese Metallic Progressor

You're probably the best guitarist in the country, mate. You could scratch that probably out if it weren't for Brett Garsed. Such great playing!

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Holy crap! That's hands down awesome. I'll be giving your last album another spin Chris!!! Can't wait for the new stuff.

19. Chris Brooks

Cheers guys! That's very kind of you.

20. reidie

reidie Member

Love the clip, song and playing - It reminds me of satch when his music was still interesting! :kickass: