This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Earthquake and tsunami hits Japan

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Shadow298

Shadow298 UNLEASH THE GUAN

2. Mean Bitch

Mean Bitch and her name was...

I couldnt belive this when I first saw it, 6 months ago I flipped a coin to go on holidays to the USA or Japan, I just arrived in Texas this morning.... crazy times in this world!

3. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

It's weird seeing it happen live on tv. Usually you hear about it after the events... sort of similar to 9/11 I guess. It's no big surprise that another earthquake followed Christchurch. Groups of them usually occur as the entire plates shift (New Zealand and Japan both sit on the Pacific plate)

If I hear another person say "see, the world is going to end in 2012", I'll slap them

4. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

God, 2012. The worst case is one my wife showed me, where Christian types are terrified that the world is ending. One brought up the 2012 prophecy, and when it was pointed out that that was a pagan Aztec thing, she came back with the claim that 2012 is mentioned in the Bible, and is a completely different thing. Well they sure kept that one secret, didn't they?

As someone who has survived at least three supposed doomsdays, I think I should point out that the Mayans never said the world would end in 2012. They have this thing called the long count, the Bactun. What is the significance of this? You know when you pull your calendar off the wall and hang up a new one in January? Exactly the same thing. It means absolutely nothing except that a new count begins on December 21, 2012. In fact, they made calendars stretching thousands of years into our future. So putting aside the question of why a bunch of people who didn't even realise the Spanish were coming would have any special insight into the world's doom centuries ahead, the prophecy is demonstrably bullshit.

5. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

I am, however, quite concerned about the reactor in the process of blowing its top.

6. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Bah. Didn't you see the water rushing in. Clearly global warming is to blame.

Seriously, though every time I see more footage it looks worse and worse. I'm glad the Japanese people are so very prepared for these kinds of events and I hope that the loss of life is as small as it can be given this is one of the top ten biggest quakes. I'm glad we are sending people to Japan to help.

7. Chris Brooks

Chris Brooks www.chrisbrooks.com

There's nothing in the Bible about 2012 and anyone who says so hasn't read Matthew 25:13 "Watch therefore, for ye know neither the day nor the hour wherein the Son of man cometh". </theology>

I hate seeing this stuff happen to Japan. I have a lot of former in-laws there and I hope they're all okay.

8. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Nice one, thanks Chris.

I was just reading about a town of 1700, where a thousand of the people are attributed for. The rest were evacuated. I just can't help thinking, if this disaster had hit some other country that wasn't so incredibly prepared for this sort of thing, how much worse would it be? For an earthquake and tsunami of this scale, if it had to hit anywhere I think Japan is the best place it could hit. Or least-worst anyway.

edit: that's actually 10 000 missing, not 1000. Not good.

9. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

They're well prepared for earthquakes (they have some of the strictest building codes in the world), but they where saying on the news this morning that the coastal towns only had about 30 seconds to 1 minute warning before the tsunami slammed into them

10. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

They didn't have warning because the earthquake was so close to shore, I think. But they have all sorts of breakwaters and weirs and other stuff as well. It wasn't enough, obviously, but I think it could have been a lot worse.

11. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

Latest reports indicate that it won't blow, but it may be as bad as Three Mile Island, which wasn't very bad at all.

The tsunami was moving at 800km/hr, and only had to travel about 120km to land, so there wasn't much warning. And as prepared as they are, there's estimates that over 10,000 people have been killed. That's a low guess too.

12. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Haiti- no building codes, 316,000 dead, 300,000 injured and 1,000,000 homeless. And it was only a mag 7.

13. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

14. Shadow298

15. Bucko

Bucko Member

has'nt the power plant blowen already, yesterday ?

16. Shadow298

17. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

The problem with reports on the reactor, besides that there just isn't much news to tell, is that standard procedure for these things is to trickle the news out, each bit slightly worse than the last. That way people get acclimatised to the horror rather than an instant shock. We've already seen this happening here. So who knows how dangerous the situation is?

18. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

This "nuclear threat" is fucking bullshit. If there'd been an explosion like that at an oil refinery, there'd be nothing left of the place.

19. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

20. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

There's a nice non-sensational source of info about the nuclear reactors here:
    http://www.iaea.org/newscenter/news/tsunamiupdate01.html

Err, in terms of energy released, an 8.9 is 500x more powerful than a 7.1, or nearly 8000x more powerful than the smaller but deadly Christchurch aftershock, which was only a 6.3.