This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Earthquake and tsunami hits Japan

Discussion in 'LORD' started by Shadow298, Mar 11, 2011.

1. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Unfortunately, those photos have been tinted to increase the contrast between the before and after. They didn't need that to be effective, I don't know why they did it.

2. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Yes, but if there was an explosion like that at a wind farm, there'd be one bent up windmill.

3. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

How exactly does a windmill explode? Anyway, the issue is that people don't understand what a meltdown even is. They've only ever heard it on The Simpsons before, which isn't exactly rocket science, and assume it must means there's going to be nuclear explosion. Nuclear reactors are incapable of causing nuclear explosions. What would happen is a chemical explosion, but that's so incredibly unlikely even in this situation that it's just not worth worrying about.

4. Mean Machine

Mean Machine Happy Little Boozer

I don't know if they've been purposely tinted or not. Judging by the change in quality of some of the photos, they've been taken by different cameras/possibly different people entirely. So it could just be that.

Either way, it's not hard to look past the colour difference and still see the change.

5. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

There is a vast difference between radioactive steam from the coolant system (Japan) and incandescent radioactive graphite (Chernobyl) being released to the atmosphere.

6. Falkor

Falkor J.B.C.M

The radioactive steam contains mostly Iodine-131 which has a half life of like 8 days, and pretty much washes away clean when it rains. Its not harmless, but its not as bad as people make out. And Iodine tablets help neutralise it quite well. Oh and it is also only harmful if you ingest it, you have to be careful with food etc mainly. If you just get it on you, it won't hurt.

I am totally irritated by the retardedness of people and this whole 'Nuclear meltdown', Brian is right people just think its going to be a huge nuclear explosion when its not even possible.

Chernobyl was just a huge disaster because:
    a) they had no containment structure, which every single western reactor does have. These ones included. Oh and did I mention they are specced to survive a Full size passenger jet flying into them? And they haven't even been breached yet despite surviving a 9.0 Mag quake.
    b) they reacted so bloody poorly to it and kept it hidden, everyone is way on top of this.

7. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

A couple of problems with that. It's not a western reactor. People are saying there's this huge culture of secrecy around the reactors in Japan. As I said the other day, they're trickling out the news, and every report is a bit worse than the one before. Who knows how bad it really is? I mean, chances are it's exactly as bad as they're saying and no worse, but there's we don't know. And the reactors didn't stand up well at all, their location wasn't shaken anywhere near the quake's full fury, they should have easily withstood the quake, and they didn't. If the safety was so poor, what other safeguards are going to fail? If there's a meltdown, which they're looking at now as a very real liklihood, will it be contained? What will the long-term effects be?

8. Goreripper

Goreripper Metal as fuck

The earthquake didn't actually do any damage. It was the tsunami that knocked out power to the diesel generators that pump water into the reactor to cool it. Also, nuclear reactors cannot cause nuclear explosions regardless of where they are from. The explosion at Chernobyl wasn't "nuclear", it was a chemical explosion followed by a fire in the reactor. It was NOT a nuclear explosion.

9. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

Why are you guys focusing on nuclear explosions? It seems disingenuous to me. There's been a couple of regular explosions already, they're now saying the container shielding has been damaged, and radiation levels in the area are rising. We don't need some a-bomb type event to do immense damage.

With any luck the whole situation will be brought under control shortly and damage will be minimised. But it's no use pretending this is all run of the mill and completely safe, because it absolutely isn't.

10. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

11. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Nice one Bloopy. I must say all the anti-nuclear rhetoric today is making me sick. Fine Joo-liar (and Phoney Tony), if Australia doesn't need nuclear power and has plenty of renewables why are you actively cutting alternative energy rebates and FITs (which actually achieve something) in favour of carbon pricing which achieves nothing.

Fukushima is over 40 years old. If anyone wants to build a nuke reactor like it anywhere in Australia, I'll buy the nearest property to where the truck the fuel for it in and out the gates. If this is all that happens after a mag 9 + coolant failure well, if I was one of the original plant engineers I'd be pretty proud of myself right about now.

12. Celestial-Todd

Celestial-Todd The Incredible Bulk

What Brian said is right... the real damage was done by the tsunami knocking out the back-up generators. The control rods where slammed into the core the second the earthquake happens to stop the nuclear reaction.

13. Celestial-Todd

The annoying thing is that this will just make the NIMBY effect even worse

People are always vocal for changes to be made but when those changes affect them in any way, they'll quickly back-pedal, ie

Protester: WE WANT SOLAR POWER AND WIND FARMS NOW!!!111!!OMGWTF!!!
    Gov: Ok, we'll build a huge solar and wind farm just over there that will power all of Australia
    Protester: No not near my house! Put it somewhere else

14. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

Haha- except if it's the Australian government they would actually say:

"Yes, a huge solar and wind farm might do the trick, but that's too hard for us, how about a nice big tax instead?"

15. chrisvp

chrisvp Member

A problem with any nuclear reactor is a problem , I dont care if it was chemicals that cause the fucker to explode yadda yadda or yogi bear, I would not want to be anywhere near any of that shit that comes out of it , iodine or not .
    WTF , if Australia builds a nuclear plant , you would build near it?
    I need a beer.

16. Bloopy

Bloopy Active Member

Heh:

17. Si

Si The Trickster's Bitch

He probably thought it said "Godzilla attack".

18. bsercombe

bsercombe Member

WTF? Guerilla attacks are so commin in Japan you need a button for it!

An update on the continuing reactor explosions:

Highest recorded radiation at reactor 2, Fukushima I: 8 mSv/hr
    Recorded radiation at Fukushima I on March 15-16: 3-10 mSv/hr
    Highest recorded radiation at Fukushima I: 400 mSv/hr (recently reported following explosion #3)
    Typical dose near Chernobyl reactor 4 and its fragments, shortly after explosion: ~ 10000 - 300000 mSv/hr
    Living within 80km of a power station: 0.0001 mSv/year (nuclear station), 0.0003 mSv/year (coal station)
    Living near a nuclear power station: less than 0.01 mSv/year (just how close is this?)
    Cosmic radiation (from sky) at sea level: 0.24 mSv/year
    Terrestrial radiation (from ground): 0.28 mSv/year
    Natural radiation in the human body: 0.40 mSv/year
    Typical individual's natural background radiation: 2 mSv/year; 1.5 mSv/year for Australians, 3-6 mSv/year for Americans
    New York-Tokyo flights for airline crew: 9 mSv/year
    Radon in the average US home: 2 mSv/year
    Smoking 1.5 packs/day: 13 mSv/year
    Current average limit for nuclear workers: 20 mSv/year
    Background radiation in parts of Iran, India and Europe: 50 mSv/year
    Lowest clearly carcinogenic level: 100 mSv/year

19. Celestial-Todd

Yeah but guys you're forgetting that NUKELER POWAH IS EVIL!