This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Economy VS Alternate

Discussion in 'The Absence' started by finnafinna, Sep 7, 2006.

1. finnafinna

finnafinna New Metal Member

i was wondering your opinions on each picking style and wondering what you guitar players use. i use economy myself and find it very helpful.

2. finnafinna

so they are no guitar players in here?

3. Sinister Mephisto

Depends on the situation.

4. Space Cadet

Space Cadet Member

Yeah, it's really whatever makes the lick/solo easier.

5. ihave27frets

ihave27frets Member

For most riff work I try to down pick everything, but for leads its mostly alternate. :)

6. finnafinna

have you ever tried or ventured into developing and economy style?

7. Nectar of the Gods

i think it all really depends on how you naturally do it. sometimes i'll find myself economy picking and vice versa.

^^
    i agree, riffs sound alot chunkier yet brutal when they're down picked.

8. espm1000

espm1000 Member

Yea, but a lot of people prefer strict alternate picking because it has almost like a metronome feel to it if you get what I am saying.

To the threadstarter:

Also depends on the sound that you are looking for. For that thick chunky riff work, downpicking, but alternate picking triplets and such because no one can down pick that fast, not even hetfield. Just be careful, I got tendinitis and have to sell my guitar before I make it worse. I'm gonna start back up with a cheaper guitar, but am pissed because my guitar is the same exact one as Patrick's so I actually feel like I'm good, hahaha. J/k.

9. finnafinna

i was mainly just talking in the sense of shreading, but yeah i completely agree on downpicking riffage.

10. espm1000

espm1000 Member

For shredding most people tend to use complete alternate picking as it gives that metronome feel and is a tad bit easier to keep in time once you get used to it. However, strict alternate picking, even though a powerful tool, is nothing when it isn't used in conjunction with other techniques such as legato or sweep picking.

11. finnafinna

yeah i love players like petrucci and gilbert, which use strict alternate but i love michael romeos technique much more, not saying i love his music more, but watching his instruction video makes me extremely happy in the pants.

12. ihave27frets

ihave27frets Member

I think they both have thier place in heavy music, both lead and riff wise.:headbang: