This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

EMG Myth

Discussion in 'Musicians Corner' started by soulshred, Apr 25, 2006.

1. soulshred

soulshred Member

I am thinking to switch to EMG 81 s from dimarzios because i reaaly like their sound. But I ve been hearing stuff from players that they hide your mistakes and it is easier to solo with them... EMG players here; is that true? Because if it is I certainly wouldnt want a pickup like that because I think that would make me sloppier oer time. Dont get me wrong I am not saying Romeo was sloppy or anything but then I look at Hammet...

2. soulshred

soulshred Member

I just realised I opened this on the wrong section I dont know how to so if someone can move it to musicians corner .thanks and sorry

3. NoSoup4you

NoSoup4you Member

I don't have EMGs personally but my dad got a Schecter Hellraiser and, well really... I don't notice enough of a sound difference from normal pickups, to be worth changing batteries for.

4. Eternal Dragon

Isnt that the whole point of better pickups??? I mean, like if you get a better signal through then obviously you would have to use less effort which is what we all want, and that isnt hiding mistakes because they arent really mistakes. And who is going to downgrade pickups instead of upgrading?? Mistakes are mistakes, and if you cant hear them then it isnt really a mistake is it??

5. War_Blade

War_Blade New Metal Member

^idk, even though i dont really believe this myth, i would think that getting used to that would lead to sloppy playing. I usually play on wide open amps (when practicing) so i can hear every little error im making. This keeps me sharp.

but anyways, in my humble opinion, dimarzio pwns EMGs any day of the week.

6. Horus

Horus and his imaginary friend

I thought the point of better pickups was for better tone. But I have an 81 in my Charvel, and I never heard of anything like that.

7. RobbM

RobbM Another lefty freak...

Yeah, there is a EMG player here,and his name is Michael Romeo...

nuff said...

8. The Yngster

The Yngster Member

They're very high gain, which would mean more distortion, which i supposed would help cover a bit for sloppy playing. But yeah they're great if you want a seering high gain distortion

9. Horus

Horus and his imaginary friend

Romeo's not an EMG player anymore.

And DiMarzios are good, but will NEVER pwn EMG's.

The Seymour Duncan Livewire Metal set pwns EMG's though.

10. ThornsOfSorrow

When I didn't have a guitar with EMG pickups, my playing was sloppy. Now that I have them, my playing still sounds just as sloppy as it always has. So no, the myth isn't true (at least not in my experience).

11. RobbM

RobbM Another lefty freak...

I thought he still uses it in the studio...or at least he was up until he got the Caparisons...

12. Anonymous

Anonymous L'Étranger

Nope, Korodoshi's sig is an example of that. You can clearly see the ToneZone and the X2N on his ESP. You can also see he's in the studio.

13. Yngvai X

Yngvai X Dark Emperor

I've never heard of anything like this. EMGs give a ton of output and a lot of people find them "sterile" sounding....I don't really care, I love them, if all you play is metal they're pretty much the best you can get. I have have a dual 81 setup. I wouldn't reccomend it for someone who wanted versitality, but like I said if you just want great metal pickups, they're sweet.

14. BastrdDrmr

BastrdDrmr Member

Divine Wings of Tragedy's rhythm tracks are all recorded w/ an EMG equipped guitar. In my opinion that is Romeo's heaviest rhythm tone; much more heavy than Odyssey's rhythm tone.

15. WeepingMoon

WeepingMoon Member

aye, EMG's are very high gain/output, but they also have the 60 which is a bit mellow compared to the 81 or even the 85. I use a 81 bridge 60 neck setup, and seem to like it. My favorite artist at the time I bought them used that combination and it seems to be pretty versitile. I feel like switching them out with DiMarzio, or Seymour Duncans to try something else, as my musical style has broadened from just the "metal" scene to much more different styles of playing.

16. Eternal Dragon

I guess you only really know the limitations of something after you've had it for a while. I'm going to get maybe an esp f-400fm or something (with emg's) then after a while if i dont like what i'm getting out of it then i'll change.

17. WeepingMoon

WeepingMoon Member

i've got a ESP MH-300, which has been discontinued for awhile. It came with EMG HZ's and in my opinion they are pretty damn close to the active EMG's. ANyhows, i'm still trying to sell those mutha's :lol:

18. 76Strat

76Strat Member

if u switch to emgs get an 82 or an 85 they are better tghan the 81 in my opinion

19. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

this is true.

there is no way a pickup can 'hide your mistakes' except by sounding muddy and unclear all the time, thus hiding all your playing. that is a myth.

20. 76Strat

76Strat Member

i personally like seymour duncan invaders great high output chunky rythms and awesome for leads i also like dimarzio evo's and use 2 evos in my 7 string i have a dirty finger in some knock off guitar and a dimarzio Super Distortio in my 80s strat