This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Engl Fireball, Acoustic Drums

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by MetalMiller, Feb 10, 2009.

1. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

Hi, I`m not new in this forum but this is one of my first posts (don`t had any decent stuff so far). This is a band i`m recording at the moment. It`s a german Trash/Deathmetalband called Deformed. The setup on this recording was a mapex drumkit with a cheap t.bone microphone set on toms and kick, sm58 on snare, mxl990 on HH and Behringer C2 on OH. Guitar was a b.c. rich flying-v with
    a dimebucker trough an engl fireball and a engl cabinet with greenbacks i think (Don´t know the correct term). Only one mic, an electrovoice pl6 straight on the center. No bass and vox so far. The guitar track was sloopy played only for orientation so i copy and paste them to a double track. At this moment i only want to find a good drum sound. OH`s were recorded with the 3:1 rule, Snare and Kick are 100% replaced with a samples i found here anywhere and samples i made of two or more other samples i don´t know on snare.
    I think there is an ugly fizz in the OH´s. Tried to fix it with de-essing and notch filters with no luck. Any tips on this, or do i only need fresh ears.
    Bad english i know.

Here is the Link:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7325044&q=hi

2. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

Guitars sound SICK dude !!! Makes wanna try ENGL heads with Greenbacks loaded cabs so bad (i've heard several times it was a good match) !!!

Even the ENGL "haters" will like this clip it i think (since it doesn't sound so ENGL-ish actually :) ). I'd use less gain though even if a lot of gain still works nicely in your mix/genre/song (which has a bit of a Six Feet Under feel).

Is that really only one guitar track/performance that was copy pasted to get a double track ?

3. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

Thank`s for your comment man! I know the tone has a bit to much gain, my first try to record a mic`d cab. I dont`t know how this cab must or could or wahtever sound like. I`ve put a lot of eq and C4 (andy style) on it, cause it sounds very boomy and dark, to much bass and bassmids for my taste.
    Can you say me wehre i can hear a fireball greenback tone maybe here on this forum? I think when we record the final guitar tracks with another mic (sm57, md421) not an unknown electrovoice it must sound pretty better. Than i record the dry line out signal too, so i have the chance to work with impulses. But this is what i want to prevent, for me samplereplacement is enough. i´ve uploaded a new song with other eq settings, it has an more modern scooped sound. And yes it was just one recorded track wehre i copied the 2 riff to the first same riff and so on... than standard 100% L and R.

Next try:

http://www.soundclick.com/util/getplayer.m3u?id=7328102&q=hi

4. LSD-Studio

LSD-Studio HCAF crusher

I'm notan ENGL hater...I only hate the powerball ;)
    the fireball is IMO way better sounding han the PB..

EDIT....still, I dont really like the guitartone, sorry...sounds too gainy and small for me :(

5. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

Ok, like i said these are only shite recorded guitar tracks without any effort in mic placement and amp tweaking. But what about the druuuumsoooouuuund? :rolleyes: Never mind! If anyone is interested i can post any ruogh tracks, so you can give it a shot. Or only to hear how good/bad it sounds.

6. tobin1

tobin1 Member

Seems the kick needs to go up in the mix a tad more, but other than that they sound great.

LSD hit in on the money though, guitars are way to boxy, tighten the gain up a little and I think you'll be on the right track.

7. hoehlentroll

hoehlentroll Member

nice but too much gain on guitars if you quad-tracking keep the gain below 10 o' clock. the drums sound very good for those mics used imho!

8. MetalMiller

MetalMiller ¯\(°_o)/¯

Thanks to everyone for your input! I will post new clips after the next session on saturday. Then i will notice the exact settings with less gain :)

9. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

Thanks for the info.

As everyone said, if next time you double track, use way less gain, and get a good mic placement it could slay.

About samples of ENGL + Greenbacks loaded cabs, i don't remember hearing any samples on this forum, i just remember some people saying it sounded awesome (on French guitar forums).

10. Djabthrash

Djabthrash Member

That's why i used brackets :)