This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

ENTOMBED - Clandestine

Discussion in 'RC' started by JayKeeley, Sep 27, 2007.

1. JayKeeley

JayKeeley Be still, O wand'rer!

I've always preferred this over Left Hand Path (which is good but overrated IMO). For the most part, Clandestine is a death metal homage to Sabbath's Master of Reality. I mean, some of the riffs are practically lifted right out of "Lord of this World" or "Children of the Grave", all the while interspersed with old school Swedish tomfoolery!!!

I always liked Entombed over their counterparts simply because their music makes you think a little. It undulates. Or rather it oscillates. Like that pendulum in the Exorcist which keeps stopping every time max von sydow looks at it. Great stuff really.

That is all.

2. Demilich

Demilich Member

...and once again, the linguistic gymnastics of Ali Abidi have convinced me to take interest in a band to whom I had henceforth paid no more than cursory attention.

3. JayKeeley

haha, well they're pretty much legendary in some regard, and any band deemed to have released a milestone/landmark here or there is worth checking out at least. I have to say, lots of old school DM sounds dated as hell but Clandestine still shines like shiny diamonds like the eyes of a cat in the black and blue, something is coming for you.....look out!

4. skeptik

skeptik Member

Dismember is better imo.

5. EricT

EricT Don't you ever get...

Entombed > Dismember
    Left Hand Path > Clandestine

End of thread.

6. skeptik

skeptik Member

Dismember > Grave > Entombed

Nihilist > Entombed

Carnage > Dismember

7. J.

J. Old Fart

Asphyx > early 90's swedes

8. Ars Magna

Ars Magna Ars Magna Recordings

Awesome!!!! A long time friend and I were talking about this record a couple of days ago. We used to live across the street from a nature reserve that would fog up at night. Right after this came out we would take a ghetto blaster over there at night, armed with Clandestine, and walk the paths, immersed in fog. Fucking amazing. This record will always be one of my favorites. Nicke's drumming is over the top and the riffs pummell you. There is some amazing atmosphere at work. I'm drunk but fuck it all. If you are a fan of the metal of death and don't enjoy this record, you're fired from rock and roll.

9. EricT

EricT Don't you ever get...

I've still have yet to hear their album. I've been told it'll turn my asshole inside out, though.

10. skeptik

skeptik Member

Like An Ever Flowing Stream is still the best thing done by any of the other major Swedish Death Metal bands unless you include Carnage, which it is when second best.

11. swizzlenuts

swizzlenuts Smoke Pipe

I need to check out Clandestine, because I like Left Hand Path a lot.

Nec Seriously? I think Carnage is good, but I would never put up there with Like an Everflowing Stream, The Red in the Sky, or Fornever Laid to Rest.

12. skeptik

skeptik Member

Listen to it again.

13. swizzlenuts

swizzlenuts Smoke Pipe

14. lurch70

lurch70 Member

fixed

15. JayKeeley

Regardless, what do you think of Clandestine? Any songs in particular?

16. skeptik

skeptik Member

It's a great album, but I prefer Left Hand Path and LG Petrov's vocals. My favorite track would probably be Stranger Aeons, but I haven't listened to it in a while, as I still don't own it.

17. Dark One

Dark One The Tainted Dogma

Great album - definitely a fan of that early grooving death metal style. A big fan of their evolution into death 'n roll as well.

18. MadeInNewJersey

MadeInNewJersey nursing my wounds

I dig Asphyx fo' sho', but they're NOT as good as Dismember IMO

19. JayKeeley

Come on...let's be honest:

Aside from the fact that Asphyx are Dutch, a few people continuously slobber all over The Rack mostly because it's a hard to find item (for some reason, a rare album seems to enter some magical realm where it's perceived to be better than it really is -- see: Diabolical Masquerade as an example to end all examples.) Be that as it may, The Rack is above average at best IMO. (The average rating of 72% on metal archives seems pretty apt.) I've never recalled any discussion ever regarding any of the follow up albums. If anyone was to make a 'top 20 DM albums of all time' list where The Rack was listed higher than motherfucking Clandestine (conversely aggregating a score of 95%), that list would be automatically relegated to the land of null & void.

By the way, where other old school Swedish DM bands ended up releasing better albums later in their career, Entombed is the only band to have released their best material ever on the debut and follow up. Neither LHP or Clandestine sound dated, implying they were probably ahead of their time as far as DM goes.

20. skeptik

skeptik Member

I disagree with pretty much everything you said. *smiley face*

1) The Rack isn't hard to find anymore; it was reissued.
    2) Almost all of their albums are top notch, and are rightly hailed as classic Death Metal albums.
    3) If you go to other boards with more people who listen to this type of music, you will see these discussions you say don't (or very rarely) exist.
    4) The Rack (and a few other Asphyx albums) I would rate higher than Clandestine, as well as Left Hand Path.
    5) Actually I can't think of a single old school Swedish DM band that released better material later in their career, any examples (I'm assuming Dismember, which I would disagree with)?
    6) Maybe as far as Swedish Death Metal goes, but you can definitely hear the influences they cite in the liner notes.