This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Estimated 2,000 people massacred in Nigeria.

Discussion in 'Bar' started by lilhermiejobo, Jan 10, 2015.

1. lilhermiejobo

lilhermiejobo Member

2. indecizo

indecizo Member

from cnn

but yeah, it's gotten pretty bad in Nigeria this last years.

3. lilhermiejobo

lilhermiejobo Member

The article states that it wasn't just in the town of Baga, but in as many as 16 surrounding towns and villages. The attacks in Baga were, allegedly, January 3rd and 4th. The surrounding towns were attacked from January 6th until today. I think the estimated 2,000 is a representation of the total encompassing area(s). According to the Council on Foreign Relations, Boko Haram killed around 11,000 people throughout the course of 2014.

4. mva801

mva801 Member

Yeah hundreds of children murdered because they went to school, and the world is focused instead on 12 people in Paris.

Both obviously deplorable acts, but the media, imo, shouldn't be so focused on france.

5. Mister Revenant

Wow. I knew things were bad but not to that level. And I try to stay on top of current news.

6. lilhermiejobo

lilhermiejobo Member

It isn't surprising that the stuff happening 'over there' doesn't get coverage (at least not much, if any) compared to things that happen 'at home' because the reality of it all is that the media are selling front row seats for entertainment loving buyers (viewers = rating = $, etc...) The fact is, these murders are taking place regularly, multiple times a day but we (more often than not) don't hear or read about it unless we stop chewing on the garbage being spoon fed through the major networks and/or newspapers and pursue other means of information (smaller, independent groups/companies/journalists/etc...)

Here's some of what's been going on in just the last 30 days. I was a bit skeptical to take it at face value and so I started researching news articles to confirm the attacks took place. Every one I researched came back positive, but feel free to look it up for yourself.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

:yow:

7. indecizo

indecizo Member

There is coverage, people from civilized countries know that bad things happen in these places all the time and it's expected to keep happening. When something like Charlie Hebdo strikes in a civilized country in which stuff like this isn't really expected to happen it will generate much more shock to the civilized society. It is what it is but yeah, the media wiil always take advantage of it.