This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

EXODUS

Discussion in 'Backstage' started by Brett - K A L I S I A, Nov 6, 2006.

1. enemy of reality

enemy of reality New Metal Member

Bueller...? Bueller...?

2. DanielKRego

DanielKRego New Metal Member

The production on Exhibit B took a while to grow on me, but I've come to appreciate it much more now. The guitars specifically sound so crunchy and clean without sounding lifeless and too polished. And great bass guitar presence in the mix too, with a very audible midrange bite to the attack. The intro to Beyond The Pale is immense.

The drum sounds, especially the tom sounds are great too, as others have pointed out.

3. Soundlurker

Soundlurker Member

Did anyone manage to find info about the bass tone on SHKM? Definitely top 3 metal bass tones, IMO, yet I can't find anything about it.

4. akarawd

akarawd Member

The pics from the AE with Andy using the RME interface are gone...

anybody remember which interface that was ?
    also the api used ?

Cheers,
    Thanos

5. Jaymz

Jaymz Stymphalian Productions

A2D im pretty sure

6. akarawd

akarawd Member

Thanks Jaymz.

So the A2D was used for tracking and then DIGI002 to RME through the tdif for re-amping ? That's what makes sense to me.

EDIT : Quote from Andy's previous post :
    Why would he go from the A2D's converter into the RME's to end up to the DIGI ? I don't get it.

7. trym^^

trym^^ Member

a thing about shovel headed tour machine.
    watching the live footage i noticed that some bits are out of sync here and there.
    the solos are so spot on that i just can't get my head around the fact that this is all real.
    overdubs by any chance? and please forgive my disbelief, i know holt's a badass player.

8. =8bitcommando=

one awesome thing about Exodus imho is that they have always had that awesome crunchy guitar tone - even before Mr. Sneap did their albums. It's like no matter what amp they would use, you'd hear one note and you would know it's exodus!!!
    But last 4 albums sound to me the best in the Universe. My favorite is probably still Tempo of the Damned! But if I had to pick the heaviest i'd pick the Shovel - and don't get me wrong -> last 2 are just as awesome as well!

9. jdgebha

jdgebha New Metal Member

Agreed. Even Impact is crunchy with its poor production. TOTD is probably the best sounding thrash album period. Love that tone and crunch.

10. =8bitcommando=

i've seen Gary complain about Impact, that he would rather erase that album as if it has never existed. I'm a huuuge Exo fan, and Impact was the first record i have ever heard from them - imHo it's not that bad. I don't know why everyone is saying it's that bad produced.

I love the crazy guitar tone on that record - it's sick :) And the album has my all time favorite Exo song on it - Only Death Decides...

anywayz - TOTD is awsome. I just love the sound of that record. It's beyond words how everything works and glues together on that record. Like the next records are way more brutal and shred faster and everything - but TOTD is my favorite, because it's perfectly balanced and has just a killer song set.

Guitars on that record are just 1 left, 1 right if i have heard correct? :) and there was a mod marshall even used, right?

11. jdgebha

jdgebha New Metal Member

The only thing I think is wrong with Impact is the drums. Too much reverb or something..... But the riffs on that album are some of my favorites. Only Death Decides fucking kills.....

12. enemy of reality

enemy of reality New Metal Member

Still hoping to hear back on this at some point.

I was listening to SHKM yet again today. STILL foaming at the mouth over that tom sound.

13. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

Guys, I have a question about The Human Condition...
    The guitar sound is vicious due playing and Sneap.
    Q: Was it double tracked (Sneap said once that Exodus was double tracked) or Quad?
    Looking on the Camp sections videos I can't figure it out.

BTW, I think this is the best Trash Album Sneap produced and mixed, it just don't get my ears to fatigue, and still sound vicious, not as clean as the last Accept discs (witch I love too).
    This is why he is the Master.
    I wonder if his ears have double or even triple sensibility for bad frequencies, because they seem completely sucked out, but without making something sound bad. All the amp presence with no fizz fatigue. I don't know how he could get such a great sound from the muddy Savage.
    Sneap's next producions were amazing, but this is a mark for trash metal (IMO).
    I still think that Metallica should give the Deaf Magnetic RAW files to Sneap (and re record guitars) and pay him to please the fans, or produce the next album with Sneap.

Thanks MR SNEAP!!!

[​IMG]

14. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

Who is doing the newly announced Exodus album in 2014? fingers crossed...

15. cfh11

cfh11 Member

errrr.... have you ever played out of a Savage? they are many things but muddy is definitely not one of them. if anything it is overly compressed and articulate, although awesome when you are going for that. fwiw i can get very close to the exhibit b tone with my Savage + EQ3B.

i would be very surprised if it isnt Andy considering how much they talk about him being the 6th member of the band, never wanting to work with anyone else etc. also i dont think they are in a huge rush so they can probably afford to wait until Andy's calendar opens up if that is an issue. exhibit b is one of my favorite all time thrash records so i cant wait to see what they do with the next one!!

16. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

Yes I played... Maybe old tubes?
    Any tips on getting the exodus tone =D

17. cfh11

cfh11 Member

i have seen pics of Gary's Savage and usually all knobs are more less at noon and mid is around 1.5. the EQ3b is key to getting the sound on exhibit a/b (although exhibit a was a peavey xxx) - it adds a certain wah-like crunch to the tone. you might be able to use a different parametric EQ but that is the one he used on the last 2 albums. he boosts craps out of the mids and then scoops them on the amp (EQ is in front of the amp, not in the loop). i have found that boosting 800hz with a relatively wide Q setting works well. then you just need a decent guitar and Gary's arms :)

18. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

19. Genius Gone Insane

I love Exodus. Fuck, Andy I hope you do the next one.

20. Genius Gone Insane