This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Football question

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA Lounge' started by ratanda, Jan 3, 2011.

1. ratanda

ratanda Member

So my band got offered a show on a Saturday night with some other good metal bands, but now our drummer doesn't want to play it because he wants to catch the Falcons playoff game at 8 that night. I offered to tape it for him, but he said not to worry about it.

I'm not a sports fan so I'm honesetly confused. What's wrong with watching the game taped? Does it have to be watched live to be enjoyable? And can it really be that good a game to skip playing a weekend show (yes, they're rare!)?

2. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

Falcons don't play on Saturday. Unless you mean two weeks from now?

I've watched a game or two delayed, mostly footie. Its hard to make it through a day without getting spoiled with the score though. The worst is any time there's a lot of delayed Olympic matches. "See it at 8pm tonight, btw the way, here's the score"

And Falcons are more than likely facing Saints, a division rival in a rematch of the Monday Night game they lost a week ago.

3. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

Hrmmm. When you watch a game live you get the same feeling that everyone else at the stadium gets when they're watching it. You've been following your team for x amount of years and you want to watch it when the rest of the fans are watching it. Nothing wrong with watching a recorded game its just not the same when you're watching it when thousands of others fans at the same time.

#3 ApolloFC, Jan 3, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  4. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Does the venue you would be playing at have a bar?
    Most likely the game would be on somewhere, no?
    Or is there a sports bar near where this gig would be?

5. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

Your drummer is obviously not serious enough about your band. I am a huge sports fan and I think there's nothing like watching a live game, but if the show had been already confirmed prior to the game announced, then he should just play the gig. Remember, a week after that game, if the Falcons go through, there will be another one. And another one. Imagine if you guys were actually on tour?

6. ratanda

ratanda Member

The venue has a bar, but no TV's. There's a bar next door with a TV so yeah he could prob watch it on that. And if the timing's right we'd go on after the game finishes, but that's unlikely.

7. RagePSV

RagePSV Member

Unless I am actually going to the game, I always record and watch later to fit my schedule. Sure it's a playoff game, but if you can avoid hearing the outcome it is just as entertaining.

8. Pellaz

Pellaz Tigron of Immanion

Fire him and hire Mike Portnoy. I've heard he's available. :heh:

Seriously, I could maybe understand if the game couldn't be recorded (local blackout) or if he had tickets to go to it, but c'mon!
    And, as you said, there's a chance you might go on after it ends, and even if not, there's a chance the game could be lopsided by then.

9. DuchessOfDork

DuchessOfDork Member

I saw this, and remember when Spain (MY TEAM, GADDAMN IT) played in the final World Cup game, this summer. My realtor desperately wanted to get us to look at a house on the market, and my husband gave me this whole guilt trip about a game being more important than having a home.

So I watched the game on my phone as we drove to the house.

It's all about compromise.

10. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

Once I was playing drums for a bar gig during a hockey game (I'm a hockey fan) and there was a home game on projected on a screen that was behind the stage. So I spent about 2/3 of the set with my head craned around, Exorcist-style, so I could watch the game and play at the same time.

11. ApolloFC

ApolloFC Sax-Man

Note to self: get gigs that have this, but for Chelsea games :D

12. Jibrille

Jibrille Member

So did your drummer skip the gig to watch that horrendous game?