This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Fredman superior to a single mic?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by J.Lindmann, Apr 13, 2016.

1. J.Lindmann

J.Lindmann Member

Hi guys. How's it going?

I currently try to figure out, if I want to buy another SM57 plus a fredman mic clip.

Do you think that the fredman technique is superior to a single mic?
    Or does it serve a certain style rather than beeing always better?
    Are there examples where a single mic delivers better results than a fredman setup?

Cheers

2. FrancescoFiligoi

FrancescoFiligoi Count Blastula

Fredman provides a thicker sound, which may be what you want, or not. If the music has heavy riffs that are not too technical, then Fredman might be a good choice. If you're playing techy stuff or modern Thrash, I always think just one 57 gives the punchiest and most direct result

nezvers and Manicompression like this.
  3. tedtan

tedtan Member

Fredman is different from a single mic, but not necessarily better. Like FrancescoFiligoi mentioned, it is a matter of what you are trying to achieve: the musical style, how the player/guitar/amp sound, where you're going with your mix, how much definition vs. thickness you need for the track, personal preference, etc.

Try it out and see if it works for your track; that's the only way you'll know for sure.

4. Artean

Artean Member

With Fredman it's easier to get rid of fizz but at the expense of some... bite and attack.

5. J.Lindmann

J.Lindmann Member

Hmmm....avioding fizz seems like a goal to achieve.
    But does the fredman technique deliver results that couldn't be achieved with a single mic plus post-EQ?

6. MrBongo

MrBongo idiot at work

yes. It´s a complex acoustics thing that goes on here, even though it´s only 2 mics.
    But to just get rid of fizz, I spend two minutes with my favorite EQ on the guitar track and have total control over anything fizzy and more. I prefer to do that, and rather set up more different mics in different spots