This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

I Want You!

Join Symphony X and discover tons of other great Metal forums, sign up today!

Games Thread.

Discussion in 'Symphony X (Unofficial)' started by Kenneth R., Aug 20, 2011.

1. Metalman7983

Metalman7983 Member

http://iv-v-i.com/

Is the best card game.

My college professor, Dr. Hernandez actually invented that game and it comes with an awesome shirt everyone should get it.

2. Kenneth R.

Kenneth R. Cináed

Put it this way, in Chess, which is no doubt a hard game to master, you focus on the opening. There's 8 squares across, and you can make dozens of first move combinations, with increasing number of follow-ups. Chess pieces have prescribed movement patterns.

Go's first move gives you 361 legal options. Some are obviously better than others, but it's more ambiguous. Go stones can't be moved, they are placed and then stationary - unless captured, when they are removed. It is possible to force an opponent to capture in a way that leaves you with the ability to capture back the stones that captured yours. The rules are fairly simple - a stone or group of connected stones that is/are completely surrounded, are captured and removed as opponent's points. Depending on ruleset, the object of the game is generally to enclose as much empty intersections as possible without your opponent invading your territories. There is something called 'ko' rule, which prevents you from endlessly undoing the last move your opponent made, if it were a capture. Eg, you can't capture a stone your opponent just placed if it reverts the board position to its last state. This rule, like the other, while simple - has complex effects. Should you strategically WANT to capture that stone back, you have to play elsewhere first - and you have to play somewhere that will force your opponent to respond, then take back your stone. Of course, "force" is all in the feelings of the player, so again, ambiguity exists. Is your threat big enough?

Go has only a couple rules, is easy to learn, but is ridiculous to get good at. I'm terrible, but it's such a mind-blowing game.

3. _Gentleman of_the Snow_

_Gentleman of_the Snow_ Prog' Drummer

I am excited to try this game now... it sounds like my cup o' tea!

4. Alteredmindeath

Alteredmindeath Wasteland Survivor

Chest is a fun game too, especially when you play with females.

5. Lagtastic

Lagtastic I lag in real life

I looked at buying that shirt a few weeks back actually. The link is broken so I wasn't able to.

6. iceandfire84

iceandfire84 The One Who Knocks

Once you go Euro gaming you never go back I say! I've definitely got a special place in my heart for the Monopoly's and what not of the world but it's hard to beat games like Carcassonne, Puerto Rico, Dominion, and Ticket to Ride. These types of games offer a much more strategic level of gameplay.

On a side note, I'm also a huge fan of Go as it's definitely the premier game of intellectual depth.

7. Postulate

Postulate Have a nice day! :)

Speak for yourself, it just gets depressing if it goes on too long.