This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

[geek]nerd[/geek]

Discussion in 'Dark Tranquillity' started by Malaclypse, Mar 11, 2004.

1. Malaclypse

Malaclypse Active Member

i know you are out there, dangling from the cables of your computer(s), coding freaky stuff, of whatever. i couldn't find the old coding/geek thread, so why not make a new one.
    my geek story today: i tried to reduce twiddling on my comps, so when i set up this comp w/ linux, i decided to only get 1 thing done per day. today, i got the multimedia keys on my keyboard working :) i am so 1337! w00t!

2. Kovenant84

Kovenant84 T-369 days

Lol, I still haven't figured them out. I bump into them from time to time, freaking myself out as I open Outlook or something.

~Kov.

3. DeepInMisery

DeepInMisery Format C: for Cortex

lol. i dont do multimedia keys. chucked the old keyboard out because of that. :lol:

also, debians dhclient is FUCKED up! :mad: i cant get it working no matter what, time to get another client.

4. rahvin

rahvin keeper of the flame

i confess since last week i'm using windows xp modified graphic styles so that the colour themes are cool and l33t. :cry:
    father forgive me my sins.

5. Dark_Jester

Dark_Jester Unrepentant sentient

Slightly off-topic: VC, or anyone else, can you give me some links to find out how Linux works? It would be very useful to me, I'm planning on installing it, learning its ins and outs as an extra advantage in my Net crime module :)

6. DeepInMisery

7. Malaclypse

Malaclypse Active Member

installing it is the best thing to learn. at first you'll have hassles with everything you want to do, and have to lookup every single thing on the net. so at first i would recommend an easy-to-install distribution such as suse/mandrake/fedora. after that, you probably need www.google.co.uk a lot :) another good place to search/ask questions would be www.linuxquestions.org, for beginners.
    the problem with most programs is actually that you don't know that they exist, or so i found.
    if you want to choose and download a distribution, check out www.linuxiso.org, they have quite a big list downloadable for free, plus a small description for each. if you want to get into details, there's www.distrowatch.com.
    generally, you could at first download the knoppix distribution from the location above; it fits onto a single cd and is fully bootable, meaning you don't have to install anything. if your hardware isn't all too fancy, you can try it out a bit without getting your hands dirty. and if you have more questions, you know where to find me ;)

8. Kovenant84

Kovenant84 T-369 days

Coolest comp thing I've done to date is to copy DIM :p

~Kov. (Look Down, hehe)

9. Dark_Jester

Excellent, I'm gonna start reading those through, thank you both :)

10. Malaclypse

Malaclypse Active Member

btw, choosing a distribution seems to be a little random at first, but it tends to lead to an elemental choice once you learn something about the whole stuff. there's commercial distros, free distros, old, new, stable, unstable, fancy, plain... i guess you could argue endlessly about a distro choice, mine for instance is arch linux (yes arch, your linux ;)).
    and that wasn't even off-topic, geeks like to talk about things like that :)

11. Dark_Jester

And it's infinitely more customisable than Windows isn't it? Which means for security purposes, it's much harder to track users who have a well-configured Linux system?

12. Malaclypse

Malaclypse Active Member

yeah, if they know what they are doing they will probably have an edge on (above)? windows users, though you could do many stuff with win as well. but you are right, linux is easier to customize, especially in terms of security.

13. DeepInMisery

you're not planning on hacking NASA by any chance are you ? :p ;)

14. Dark_Jester

:lol: Nah, like I said, I'm studying Internet crime as part of my law course, and this is the area I want to work in when I graduate, and so I figured I would have better chances in the field, and would understand better if I had a better working knowledge of Linux. And lo and behold, a geek thread appears on the forum. My lucky day :D

15. Rusty

Rusty A-HAHAHA!

Speaking of geeks/nerds, I don't suppose anyone feels like writing a C++ program for me by Sunday, do they??

16. Malaclypse

Malaclypse Active Member

heh, depends on what you need, since i am trying to learn a bit more of c++ and i actually could need a task :)

17. Rusty

Rusty A-HAHAHA!

To be honest, I'm not even sure what's needed. He's so incredibly vague it would be funny if it wasn't reasonably important. Although it's really my fault for not really bothering with uni for the past 4 months. But I'm going to blame him all the same. And also I'm going to not bother handing anything in and trying to make it up in the other assignment and exam.

18. Thanatos

Thanatos payaso

anyone willing to download mandrake, burn it to cd and send it to me? :D

19. Malaclypse

Malaclypse Active Member

9.2 is shite. didn't even install on my comp, which is quite generic. 9.0 was good though...

20. DeepInMisery

which reminds me of SuSE. that's a pretty welldone distro right there. did you ever run it? to me, such dists are cool, but uncomfortable to work with, lots of gui stuff and customized setups, so it's not the easiest thing to configure them by hand. pros and cons anyone?