This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Good bye amp simulation :)

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by kev, Aug 2, 2010.

1. Williamn

Williamn Member

I have actual rentet a room so I can mic drums and amps.
    So in a few weeks when its all set up I will start my journey into the art of micing up :D

2. Morgan C

Morgan C MAX LOUD PRESETS¯\(°_o)/¯

3. kev

kev Im guybrush threepwood

I hear ya man. Im still at my parents place, but when i move out it will be something a bit smaller indeed- its impossible for an average FTB to get a detached these days :bah: I think I will convert the garage when i move into a sound proofed ghetto.

We do, but f-em- they havent complained yet lol :tickled:

Well guys, to me, it's the last 10% there- the stuff that is going to seperate the good mix from the excellent production (not that I can mix for shit btw :D). You can hear the air, the punch, and it just flows out of the speakers far more musicially to my ears. Bob, I should say all of these tones have had treatment, some saturation on the way in, eq'd similarly and a bit of smooth compression. I think it's beyond that stage.

Think i might look at getting that v30 in then! Sounds good Trev, thanks for that. I will have a quick crack at identifying which i consider to be the lesser of the two g12's and then get to work :cool:

You've got me gassing for an axe fx betwen the two of you now as well :lol: I see vai and co are endorsing... i'd love to try one. So why doesnt the axe fx have the nasty aliasing that is privvy to all these otheres then?

Also... if they are the best thing since sliced bread, why doesnt Vai use one of these live. I am skeptical of it...

Undoubtedly smash, I long for the day when it happens. If it ever will im just not sure! I am holding a lot of hope in nebula still :)

Thanks Josh, down with the modellers eh :lol:

I've been pretty much of that view point too man- I think im gravitating more to use what analogue gear you can get your hands on, and then if all else fails get digitising. I couldnt be happier with clean tones from modellers for instance.

Keep it that way Loren :p

Good luck Bill, its a much better feeling dude!!! As well as sucking my tone, amp sims have been sucking my passion as well :D (that sounds slighlty dodgy somehow)

Thanks Morgan. That'd be my dodgy silencing cuts slicing the ends off dude :cry:
    See here for my planned escape route. :lol:

4. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

I hate to make it worse Kev... but I just came back from a guys house. A dude I hooked up with on the AxeFX forums to checkout his Axe FX Ultra. Anyway... it was fucking sick... sick as in awesome.

Does not have the aliasy fizzy character like Pods. Every amp he showed me sounded great. I was a big fan of the Uberschall model. Pisses all over the Pod model of the same amp.

I'm really considering selling all my pedals and my amp and my 2x12... and putting the cash towards an Axe FX Ultra.

5. zakky

zakky ( . Y . )

dude dont do it ...you cant beat tube amps mic'ed properly!

6. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

Says you. My ears tell me different.:Smokin:

7. kev

fucks sakes lol. So, do they do a buy it, try it for thirty days and if you dont like it, have your money back deal? lol

8. drew_drummer

drew_drummer Dancefap

They do. But it's only 14 days iirc. I'm gonna have to wait till the end of the year unfortunately.

9. sk8ersick666

sk8ersick666 I need a beer...

I guess I found this thread just in time..

about 5 mins ago i made the decision to stop trying to mic my tube amp and cab cause my triple x rocks but my shitty peavey cab blows, so no matter how much i try i can never get a good enough tone from it to my daw...=[ Then I spend hours in front of the pc telling myself i can polish a terd with a lot of eq... =\

I started messing around with impulses...i think im going to switch until i can get a new cab

10. FearComplexMusic

I was in a similar situation but playing through a marshall 4x12. The amount of EQ it required was almost criminal and after that it still sounded like a hollow mess, so I was getting better results with impulses until I bought an orange 2x12. Problem solved, pretty much zero eq required and sounds huge. Try and get yourself a better cab asap, you'll leave the impulses behind guaranteed.

11. joeym

joeym Member

I keep hearing a lot of good things about the Sansamp boxes. Might just get me one....

12. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog New Metal Member

It seems that in most of these threads opinions are very extreme, meaning that you either use only amp sims (cost = $0 or near $0 if you paid for impulses) or you have a $2000 amp and cab (+ treated room + mics + preamps, $$$). Is there something in the middle that's not amp sims?

13. KillFrenzy

KillFrenzy Member

In the top of all that, the price of audio/music gear in here (Brazil) is outrageous. Buying a nice half stack, even a used one, is too pricey and would take a lifetime to pay back.

14. Dexter_prog

Dexter_prog New Metal Member

Ditto for here (Argentina), plus our economy is slightly worse than yours :/

15. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

Yeah, like a Bugera 6260 (277€) + HB 212 w/V30's (198€) :)

Ovbiously it's not the same as a 5150 into a Mesa cab, but still sounds pretty decent from the recordings I've heard.

16. Torniojaws

Torniojaws They call me Juha

Where the hell do you get a 6260 for that price? :loco: It's closer to 400 euros everywhere I check.

17. MrBIOSkunk

MrBIOSkunk New Metal Member

if you open those 3 clips in a basic wave viewer, editor and look at the structure which was has the most density the real amp, so hows about a fair comparison tweaking that impulse to be as full as the real amp. Of course your real amp is gonna be better, but a fair test is a real test - this is not a real test.

18. kev

Couldnt do much more to it, each one was even matched with an eq curve

19. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Yeh, amp sims are still fucked. I've tried so many times to make it work in a full mix, but all I've been able to get away with is leads. You can hear X30 running solos on the 'Peace' track on my site.

For rhythms I always go back to tubes.

20. Jarkko Mattheiszen

Jarkko Mattheiszen The FU guy.

So sorry I missed this! It was on Musicstore.de. Now it's 286.30€.