This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Good Bye My Friend

Discussion in 'Woods of Ypres' started by Bry_GOW, Dec 23, 2011.

1. XnaySaturo

XnaySaturo Member

Shit. Im at loss for words. RIP David.
    You will be missed.

2. great_kthulu

great_kthulu Greater Evil

I met dave back in may when woods was playing in Worcester with Goddamn Zombie and novembers doom. He was a really nice guy. We talked about the new crowbar record, which he was disappointed in, and about woods 5, which he described as "definitely a winter record, but with some fall and spring moments, so you could think of it as one of those seasons. It is definitively not a summer record... But even then it does have some summer moments... You know what, just wait for it to come out and decide for yourself!"
    He just seemed like such a good guy. I can't believe he's gone.

3. Disillusion

Disillusion Riffer Madness

I feel so bad... I wish I could have met him and told him that he was such an inspiration to me. Never have that chance again.

Worst fucking day ever.

4. matt schrauben

matt schrauben Curse You All Men!

I agree, I wish I would've told him too...

Damn.

5. Tomasz

Tomasz outdoor type

I'm trully sadden as I've been fan of his music for the last 9 years, some awesome stuff, his music will live forever

RIP

6. HeretoDestroy

HeretoDestroy New Metal Member

This is my first post here, but I felt that considering how much David's music has meant to me since discovering WOY, it was important to say something.

I only learned of WOY last March, but I have been immersed in their music ever since, In some way that I can't describe it has connected with me in a way no other band has in many years. There isn't a week that goes by that I don't play the Green Album - or any of their albums for that matter.

There is no words for the shock and sadness I felt yesterday when I heard what happened. I still can't believe I won't have a chance to see the band of meet David in the new year.

Thank you David. Your music means so much to me and I truly appreciate what you have left behind.

To his friends and family, I'm so sorry for your loss. I hope that he touched many people trough his music can bring you even a little comfort. The band may not have sold thousands of albums or had a huge fan base, but for the people who listened, David's music was not taken for granted.

I posted this on my site last night.

http://www.heretodestroy.com/blog/2011/12/23/david-gold-1980-2011/

7. beast from the east

Wow, this truly fucking blows. So sad. A young guy with such talent, and he was genuine and kind to his fans. Condolences to his family and friends. David, you will be missed.

8. shredsofautumn

I, like the rest of us, am shocked and saddened by this tragedy. All my sympathies to his close family and friends. The world lost a true musician. Listening to the new album, it almost seems as if he knows his time is near without outright saying it. I suppose we will never know.

From Woods I to Woods 5, the mention of his homeland, the vast landscapes, driving on darkened roads, his words were his life. Not many artists can convey the introspective soul as David did. May he rest in peace, 'Buried In Mount Pleasant Cemetery'.

9. great_kthulu

great_kthulu Greater Evil

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zNPxP-MCHyQ&feature=related[/ame]

"One moment of silence, but not one moment more"...

love this song. Woods 5 is just awesome, but hard to listen to.
    RIP

10. antihero7

antihero7 New Metal Member

Popped by from time, but never posted. Don't really have anything to add here, but just kinda thought that Dave's family and friends should see how many people are affected by this, and that there are a lot of us who are saddened and shocked.

I met Dave here in Calgary the second to last time Woods played. We hung out for a bit, chatted music, and had a few laughs. Afterwards we passed a few emails back and forth. Great guy. Genuine...friendly...passionate...and certainly intelligent.

The world is not a better place today.

We have Dave's music. Albums that, through the years, have vividly encapsulated pieces of my life. How could they not? THose of us from Canada can't help but relate to the atmosphere and images he evoked.

Condolences to all affected. That includes the fans, but most importantly the family.

RIP David.

One last note...I tried the link to Woods 5 and it is not working. I can't think of a better way to honor Dave than what Earache has done. Class act. If anyone can help me get this music...it would be appreciated.

Curt

11. Jolty

Jolty Monochromatic Stains

I am so fucking sad.

12. shredsofautumn

"hard to listen to" definitely sums up my experience with Woods 5 considering what happened. especially when you consider the themes.

i couldn't get earache's link to work either, hope this helps you out Curt- here's a promo copy for download on mediafire (probably the same file as provided by earache?) just extract it with something like jzip for free.

http://www.mediafire.com/?y5ol5ge85niefgd

13. antihero7

antihero7 New Metal Member

Thank you. Much appreciated.

14. TheKid

TheKid OFR

A great talent lost.

RIP

15. phantomfreak

phantomfreak WoY Supporter

"Farewell my friend, you will be missed.
    Lower the flags, a good man has past
    He has reached the last of frontiers.
    Lower the flags down to half mast
    For again the world has taken a turn for the worse."

#56 phantomfreak, Dec 24, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  16. phantomfreak

phantomfreak WoY Supporter

A message from David's sister:

Daves fans and friends: I have had many heartfelt messages send my way about my brother and how he has impacted their lives . I appreciate each and everyone who has reached out to me. The celebration of Davids life and music will be in Sault Ste Marie, 1:00-6:00 at the Canadian Motor Inn. As i realize that many of you will not be able to attend, I found a way for each of you to be involved at his service. If you would like, please send me an e-mail at mariechristinegold@hotmail.com and please include your name, and a brief message on how David has impacted your life, a memory you shared together, quote, lyric that reminds you of him etc... If you have a photo together with him, send that as well. I will print this off and have it at David's party so everyone can be there in spirit. His family really likes reading these, and we would appreciate it.

17. Morf1end

Morf1end Member

I never met Dave but like most of you I chatted with him through emails and on this message board. I'll always remember him as being genuine, excitable and great to his fans. My thoughts go to his friends and family. Thanks Dave for all the great music you gave us and for taking the time to thank and get to know your fans.

18. AshDLS

AshDLS Huh?

This is the first time I've logged into my UM forum account in 2.5 years (mainly kept up to date with WoY stuff through Facebook) - don't know why, suppose I had to express thoughts similar to what other people have posted. Can't fucking believe it, just doesn't seem real. And the new album is brilliant, which makes this even the more difficult to take. Only had the pleasure of meeting David once at the Day Of The Equinox festival in 2005 but we kept in regular contact since, wish I had the opportunity to have a beer with him once more. Remarkable how someone you don't really even know properly can have such a huge effect.

19. Hopkinator

Hopkinator Life is just pain & piss

Haven't logged on here in years; I have David on my facebook so that's how I got my Woods news.

Just have to say, like everyone else, I'm deeply saddened by David's passing. He was a completely genuine person. He loved his fans sincerely and really appreciated all the support. While I'm going to miss Woods of Ypres, I'm going to miss David even more.

Rest in Peace, brother.