This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by mel_progson, Sep 9, 2010.

1. Prog_Please

Prog_Please Member

I never understand why people trash DT and claim their newer stuff isn't any good, and then go and give positive comments to all those other prog bands that sound similar and who's songs are, in my opinion, inferior in quality. Symphony X is a perfect example. I'm obviously a minority because I like newer DT and newer Symphony X better than the older stuff, but I really can't understand how you can think the new DT albums are weak and the new Symphony X ones are strong.

Edit: and this isn't directed at anyone in particular, just at the common hate toward DT and their newer stuff.

2. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

Why be a douchebag and bring me into this? It's not like you need to draw further attention to yourself on this forum.

Btw, you can't hide a 5 ft asshole behind a 1/2 inch smiley.

3. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

If people agree with me..fine. If they don't...fine. However, I think it's pure horseshit to call out those that do happen to agree with my taste and posture that you are the cool kid that doesn't.

No offense to Tribunal Records.

4. Harvester

Harvester The Promoter

I don't understand the hate either. They have earned every bit of their success.

I do disagree on one thing. It's not just this forum. Plus, you can have 10 quiet positive reviews and one loud negative one. Guess where the focus is going? Once that happens, then it becomes the "forum" instead of a few people on the forum.

5. Qrusher14242

Qrusher14242 Member

Exactly. I was hoping for Donati, Lang or even Marco, it would of made the band exciting again. I haven't cared for an album of theirs since probably Six Degrees. Sure there have a few songs that i like, but they've stagnated with the last few albums. I hope its because of Portnoy, but i'm afraid it might be more with JP.

They picked the safe guy i think. His drum solos are great, but will he bring anything different from what Portnoy did? I dunno. I hope the cd is good.

6. farren

farren Member

From my observations, Portnoy pushed the "heavier" angle more than Petrucci in the last ten years, so I still have hope the next album could be fresh even without an ultra-creative drummer like Marco in the mix. Mangini will be a lot of fun live no less.

7. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

Sig'ed!!!!! LOL!:heh:

8. J-Dubya 777

J-Dubya 777 It NEVER ends

I too am a fan of the "older" stuff, and obviously respect not only their success, but their musical talents as well.

9. eppst1

eppst1 Member

I've been a fan of DT for a while, more or less their older stuff. Having said that - I did enjoy watching the vids and see the process on how they "interviewed" the drummers. Out of all of them, I thought Aquiles didn't do that great. He almost seemed unprepared (not sure if that is the right word) but he almost seemed right from the get go he didn't get the job. I was hoping for Marco, one for his background and 2 for his obvious look of having fun with what he was doing. The DT guys really seemed to enjoy playing with him also - bit of a surprise they didn't pick him. The Darkane guy was awesome also.

10. AngraRULES

AngraRULES Member

This.

11. Purveyor Of Evil

Purveyor Of Evil Heavy Metal, INC.

I believe the DT hate comes from being at the so called "front" of the prog metal genre. Anyone in anything at the forefront of their given niche will always have a target on their back.

12. Valarien

Valarien Member

Ditto

13. soarbeyond

soarbeyond there somewhere

^this

And those doing the "hating" will have a fav prog metal band that is a clone or heavily influenced by DT. Go figure.

14. AeonicSlumber

I don't hate DT. They were actually one of my favorite bands for the longest time. But I'm definitely hating on their last 2 horrid albums and this whole drummer search. It's ridiculous. They seem like nice dudes but nice dudes who have allowed the fans to inflate their egos too high.

15. batmura

batmura Sea of Tranquility

This.

16. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

I don't get all the dislike for Black Clouds & Silver Linings. IMO it's one of their best albums front to back. The Count of Tuscanny is arguably their best song ever. While I also enjoyed Systematic Chaos, I can understand why someone might not enjoy it. The only album of Dream Theater's that I really didn't enjoy save for a song or two is Octavarium.

17. AeonicSlumber

I thought Octavarium was their best since Scenes From A Memory, and was a unique direction for the band. They were really inspired by Muse and "modern" prog rock bands, and they threw their own sound into the mix. It was cool. I think they should've stuck with that. Black Clouds was too "epic" for its own good. It felt like a pointless and bloated wankfest. I also hated the production. Sounded way too fake and pro tooled. It just felt like they were trying TOO hard to combine their sound with modern metal and it just failed in my opinion. The Count Of Tuscany (what a horrible title, sounds like Olive Garden's rejected mascot idea) has cool moments and so does The Best of Times, but they are too bloated, and have really bad vocal melodies and lyrics.

18. AMBR

AMBR Metal Grandma

Well, yes and no. A band in the forefront of a genre will indeed be a target for more intense criticism and higher expectations. This also leads to bands in this position trying too hard to meet those expectations. They often feel they have to continuously push the envelope and sometimes they go too far and lose their direction and sense of rhythm.

This I mostly agree with. I sensed that "modern" prog rock influence and liked it.

This I agree with this almost completely. To me, this was the "have to push the envelope" dilemma resulting in an overdone product without clear identity or direction.

On this, I think we will have to agree to disagree...until we hear the next album, of course. ;) I think they need a guy who could not only play technical, but get them back into a good groove. A more exploratory drummer had the potential to drive them further down the path of more technical and disorienting. Don't read this to say I want them to be less prog. I want them to be more focused and a little more structured. They need a guy who could get their flow back in the recording studio as well as on stage. I think Mangini is that guy.

I am not a DT hater. They were one of my very first loves in prog and helped me to truly appreciate the genre. That feeling has evolved into exasperation with music that I feel is disconnected, self indulgent and directionless. I have high hopes for the new era.

19. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

That's exactly why I didn't like it. I generally don't care for prog rock, I much prefer prog metal or at least prog that leans toward the heavier side.

Not sure what you mean by pro tooled since practically everything nowadays is recorded with pro tools. If you mean not as organic sounding as you would like, then to each his own. I don't find it too polished or "digital" sounding at all. Aside from "A Nightmare To Remember" and "The Shattered Fortress" I don't sense any connections to modern metal at all. Train of Thought was their attempt to go the heavier route (and it's my favorite DT album BTW). I will agree that the Best Of Times has some pretty cheesy lyrics though. But I'll give Portnoy a pass on that one since it was written as a tribute to his dad who had recently passed away. What makes Dream Theater so great IMO is that they can have a complete wankfest as you call it and still maintain a sense of melody and direction for the most part.

20. mel_progson

mel_progson Member

I'm not going to speak for all the jaded Dream Theater fans here, but when you fall in love with a bands sound, and for me it was around Images and Words, and a band deviates heavily from what they used to do its kinda disappointing. I haven't been impressed by anything they've done since Train. In saying that I have to admit I held some kind of small hope that this whole drummer situation would bring about some kind of direction change that might get me interested again. This whole drawn out drummer search completely turned me off again. It was just tacky, and those videos they released had like a 'Some kind of Monster' Metallica vibe or something. Ugh.

To be honest, I do like the newer school of prog metal much more now. Pagan's Mind, Circus Maximus and Seventh Wonder. Three bands that all borrow from the DT sound. All these bands imo took what DT were doing, perfected it and put their own unique slant on it. DT dropped the ball, these bands picked it up and scored a whole shitload of touchdowns.