This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guess new Dream Theater drummer-win a prize.

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by mel_progson, Sep 9, 2010.

1. AeonicSlumber

Alright. To me alot of bands that get called prog metal aren't even progressive. Alot of people think that high gain guitars and keyboard solos = prog metal -- I just don't get it.

The thing is, DT gets enough money to record albums that they could do it all live and analog. It's one thing when small bands with 5-10 k studio advances use pro tools, but when big bands like Metallica and the like put out albums that sound that digital, it pisses me off. It's such a massive waste of studio time. They may as well go to Bulb's house or something lol. I think Train Of Thought had one or two crappy songs, but as a whole I enjoyed it. It definitely did not sound as fake as the last 2 DT albums. I hate the thin robotic guitar sound (definitely sounds re-amped), the plastic sounding drum samples, the lack of humanity. I miss the big beefy tones on the past albums and the organic mixes where it doesn't sound over-edited and over quantized because that sort of technology didn't exist.

As for your last comment, I agree. Here is an example of them wanking with a great sense of melody and direction:

The guitar/keyboard trade off in the beginning -- classic Dream Theater. Always gives me goosebumps!

But the last few albums feel like a bunch of 12 minute songs just for the sake of it. "Hey, let's see how many notes we can squeeze in 12 minutes!!!" It's almost as if they literally decided to become what long-time DT haters made them out to be.

#301 AeonicSlumber, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  2. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

I agree that high gain guitars and keyboard solos doesn't make something prog metal. But I do tend to prefer heavier sounding music, that's just a personal preference.

Let's face it, in this day and age it's much more cost effective for bands to use pro tools. It just is. Recording analog to tape does have a certain magical quality to it, but it's just not efficient or cost effective. That's why so many bands have members that can live in different parts of the world and still record a decent album. Having the ability to email an MP3 of a guitar riff to another band member to add his part to is a wonderful thing IMO. I guess we'll agree to disagree because Petrucci's guitar tone on the last album was by far his best ever IMO.

3. AeonicSlumber

Ehhhh, I guess you didn't get what I was saying. DT records their albums in big ass pro analog studios dude. In fact, they are recording this new one in the same studio where they did Train Of Thought. They were the very LAST band in the entire history of bands to record at the Hit Factory studio in NYC which is where some of the biggest pop artists of all time recorded. The place subsequently closed down. Money isn't an issue for DT. They get very large advances to do albums, there is no need for them to keep cost effective because they sell records.

For smaller bands, yes it's paramount to keep cost effective. DT on the other hand will track their tunes at a really nice studio and then will probably have someone mix it with pro tools.... lol

The difference is pretty obvious:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ga0vid7tgtE&feature=related[/ame]

Guitars sound huge, you can actually hear the bass. Everything breathes really nicely in the mix. Drums are sampled but not over-sampled.

Super thin guitar sound, which definitely sounds re-amped. Drums sound over-sampled. Everything sounds edited too tight. This probably would've been a way better song imo if it had the production of the first track.

Half of the problem if you ask me, is that DT has been engineering and mixing their last several records themselves. They really need to be hooked up with Terry Date (again) or Nick R.

#303 AeonicSlumber, May 1, 2011
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  4. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

Well I totally agree with you on the part that they should be hooked up with an outside producer instead of producing themselves. They could use another set of unbiased ears. But just because a band can afford to record analog to tape doesn't mean they should. Dream Theater is not making U2 or Metallica money so they should be tight with their money. Especially with the state of the music industry as it is.

The you tube clips are not indicative of how the albums really sound though. I just listened to the same two clips from the actual CDs on my studio monitors and yes the mix is totally different. The Train of Thought mix is much more in your face, but as far as the actual guitar tone I still think Petrucci's tone on the last album is far better.

5. AeonicSlumber

It's not their money man. It's the label's. And yeah of course, it's a giant no-no to overspend when the band cannot recoup the costs, but DT actually does this. Their last album charted in the top 10 man. They also have an extensive back catalog that continues to sell and move units that includes bootlegs, DVDs, etc. They do very well. No they don't make Metallica money, but each one of them is without a doubt, wealthy or well-off. They do really well on DT. ;)

I remember seeing some of the numbers generated from their shows on the Octavarium tour-- these shows were grossing like 25-50 grand per night on ticket sales alone. And that was BEFORE charting in the top 10.

But yes, they are in a vast minority. Very few bands do as well as DT.

6. CAlexanderParra

CAlexanderParra Nocturnal Dream

It's not re-amped, I can hear the un-crossfaded splits in the solo'd takes which means they definitely used the mic'd signal.

7. The_Metal_Messiah

The_Metal_Messiah Dr Feelgood/Dropdown Suzi

This.
    The only real problem I have with the production on BCSL is that its a bit over-compressed. Everything else about it sounds great. The guitar sounds pretty fucking massive, especially the lead tone. it cuts through really well. Don't know why anyone would complain about it... Sure its not my favorite kind of tone, but it fits the songs perfectly. And I'm pretty sure all the drums are completely natural. No sampling. Portnoy HATES sampling. If I remember correctly, the only albums with sampled drums are I&W and Awake.

8. AeonicSlumber

That may be true, but those are most def samples otherwise that's the worst "real" kick and snare I've ever heard.

As for the reamping, it definitely sounds that way, but I'm no expert on guitar tones.

9. The_Metal_Messiah

The_Metal_Messiah Dr Feelgood/Dropdown Suzi

lol

10. AeonicSlumber

11. Met-Al

Met-Al Member

Hey, Glenn,

Just to touch on what I brought up: we are on the same page about the "very vocal" opinions of online Dream Theater bashers. I'm well aware of the fact that people post these kinds of comments all over the internet and not just on this forum. I only mentioned this forum because it's the only one on which I post outside of the Katagory V forum.

That said, let the discussion about the technical side of recording continue.

Stay metal. Never rust.
    Albert