This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Guitar Panning ?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by Mendel, Nov 12, 2008.

1. Mendel

Mendel Lag Arkane

How do you guys pan your guitars ?

Both 100 % ?

Or do you copy the left guitar to the right and set it soft and copy the right guitar to the left and do the same ?

I noticed ( on Silhouettes and first strike still deadly ) that when 1 guitar is played you can hear it softly on the otherside.

So can you get a fuller sound with this ?

2. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Full 100% sounds best to me, but what you're likely hearing is quad-tracking, with the 3rd and 4th takes panned about 80% in to each side. Any further in and you narrow and clutter your mix. You don't want too much crosstalk between the guitars on each side.

3. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

I'm pretty sure this post will get a resounding +1 from everyone who reads it :)

4. Zack Uidl

Zack Uidl Member

5. roy22341

roy22341 Member

+1

6. -J-

-J- Member

sometimes i like 100%, but having some reverb or delay of it hit on the other side when it plays by itself.

one of my peeves is always having the same guitar (L or R) be the one to play a riff by itself. on tempo of the damned, the same side always does the loner guitar thing - I forget which one, but once I noticed it started bugging me.

7. Pxz

Pxz Member

What -J- said is something i´have heard in a lot of productions but i don´t know how to set my reverb in order to achieve that.
    The textures album is one of them.

Also , is just me who feels that many albums are panned (of course) but not hard panned ? Maybe the center guitar track "trick" is something that is used a lot more that i thought .

8. doclegion

doclegion Contagious Destruction

I just recently started quad tracking guitars....i always pan one guitar hard L hard R and i started doing 50/50 on the quad

9. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Resounding +1! Though I don't like quad-tracking, so I stick to one take L100/one take R100

10. D20

D20 Member

+1

11. 006

006 Member

100% Left/Right, double or quad tracking...but fuck quad...

~006

12. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

I'm gonna go against the grain and say that even when I quad track, I pan hard left/right. I'll automate in to 75 or so when the guitars have a solo part, but otherwise... I find panning the other tracks inward clouds up the mix.

13. Machinated

Machinated Member

Yeah I'm panning 100% on all 4 tracks most of the time too......not always though.

14. TheWinterSnow

TheWinterSnow Den Mørke Natt

my guitars are dual tracked about 50-70 out (depends on the song). with hard panning, an individual guitar will will sound thin, and the clarity won't be there. when both are played together there sound like there is something missing in the middle.

most commercial recordings the pan usually between 50-90. having the guitar leak an almost unnoticeable amount when your listening through the other speaker, will make a huge difference to the clarity of the main speaker it is coming out of, becuase both speaker playing the same part creates a three dimensional field. when you hard pan. In the stereo field its the equivalent of a band playing live and their amps are put out back in the crowd facing them and a 90 degree angle to where the band is facing when they look at the crowd. In reality they play with both amps separated a fair amount, but still facing the same direction.

its a bad comparison but imagine where your panning the guitars, is where the actual amp is and your listening to it in person, 0 is right in front of you, and 100 is completely to your left or right. you don't listen to your stereo with the speakers like that, why becuase not you can't hear a center, both your ears need to hear the ambiance of the other side, that is why you put speakers of your stereo or your monitors in front of you, not to your sides.

the stereo field as to where the live amp is will really be noticeable with a 5.1 system. if you hard panned, the guitars will sound like they are to your side. take a listen to a commercial song in 5.1, you will notice that the guitars are to your left and right, but they are still in front of you, meaning that they re not hard panned.

but its all preference, you will notice a tone change when you move the panning around. Do what sounds best and always remember where your stuff is standing in the field. or try to imagine where your instrumentation is going to sit in a 180 degree stereo field if your there in person (and emulation of a 5.1 monitor system). just do what works and sounds best, it takes time and experience but you will find what works for you.

hard panning sounds more aggressive but with a thin center
    close panning can sound cluttered

i personally like to find the happy medium, and each song is different, so with every song in the mixing process you have to find what works.

15. Rupturemetal

Rupturemetal I am rape-I am hate

100 and 85% for me. I just pan the "inner" track until it sounded a little 3-D and thick at the same time and it was 85%

16. Sinister Mephisto

When you hear the guitar a little bit in the other speaker that isn't copying and panned the other way, it's just panned less than 100% gives you the same outcome. You may know this already, I couldn't tell from your post. But I just wanted to clarify for you incase you didn't. :)

I pan mine 90 to 100% when I'm dual tracking, 100% and 80% to 100% when quadtracking. Basically, +1 for Moonlapse.

Do you get a fuller sound? Try it out and see. :loco:

17. dbMusicStudios

i actually never pan completely 100 percent. 90 - 95 is good. think about when someone is listening to your ipod with the right headphone and a guitar break comes, and it's on the left. You still wanna hear a little, and not just the cymbals ringing out or something.

18. dan weapon

dan weapon Planet Smasher

i'd rather just listen to and iPod with both headphones in....

19. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Haha, seriously, that half headphone crap is for teenage girls on the bus, not exactly an audience I care to cater to :loco:

20. GeertSamuel

GeertSamuel Member

kudos! haha :)