This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Join the Chaos

Want to join in with the rest of the Hate Crew? Sign up today!

Guitar Player's Thread

Discussion in 'CoB Off-topic' started by Blindfold, Oct 16, 2006.

1. pnote

pnote Member

Haha, its actually just the JE-1000 but thru the setting on the Korg it got way agressive. I agree its way too much.

Gonna do a new base tone at another time, 'cus its incredibly annoying :p

2. snowy

snowy The Empire Strikes Back

What Korg thing? And I guess its your EQing that fucks up the tone or makes a whaish sound.

3. pnote

pnote Member

The PX4D. I recorded with a clean setting, and since I wanted to keep the JE-1000 i choose the mid to be very much in the hi-mid area. That didnt sound to extreme without distortion, but with it sounded crappy :p

Ive been toying around today with different recording setups - thru a dist pedal with impulses, thru the line out of my amp and came to the conclusion that the easiest and best sounding thing for both rhythm and lead was a somewhat gainy setting on the korg and then post EQing (with impulses, and the Paris VST Eq) and a little bit of reverb sounded best.

I quite dig this tone, and while its still kinda wahish (JE-1000) it doesnt strike me as something that would be annoying in a mix but actually sit rather well in a mix.

Also played a little around with the setting one the JE

Here goes:

http://kiwi6.com/file/9cks8b78t4

Still sounds kinda "fake", but its acceptable for me for just recording ideas n songs on a small scale. I dont have the money for something like the axe fx and i dont have the facilities to record my amp so this is good enough for me and incredibly easy :p

4. Leraios

Leraios New Metal Member

I'm hearing the old version right now. You seem as skilled as me thus far, perhaps a little more. If those random "smurfs" I hear are sweeps then we're equal there :rofl:

5. pnote

pnote Member

haha cool man :p
    it's kinda rough tho, but Im working on my skills :D
    the sweeps are mostly these kind of sweeps: http://freakguitar.com/arpphr.html
    havent actually gotten them clean yet, but they rock when theyre clean x)

edit: now when I listen back to the first one, goddamnit thats rough :p but then again it was merely just to test a tone

6. Leandro

Leandro ¬¬

Just bought a PRS SE with a bare knuckle pickup on the bridge, along with a TS-9 and a Blackstar HT-5R (which I've named the Neighbourator). Feels good man.

7. pnote

pnote Member

awesome, I guess used then :p
    I hear the value on those SE's are very high :D pics or it didnt happen (;
    also what bare knuckle in the bridge? Bare knuckle rocks! Some of the best p-ups ive ever had the pleasure of playing
    Also Blackstars rocks :D sounds like you just bought a whole other rig :p

8. TheKid

TheKid OFR

holy shit, in a thread full of RR24 and ESP-Alexi owners, you are winning!

no offense gaiz <3

9. Leraios

Leraios New Metal Member

I have a Freeman :(

Well I remember being like 8 years old, my sister had a classmate who owned a cream Gibson Flying V. Ever since she told me about it I've been a fan of V shapes, and roughly one year later I saw a blue Jackson King V at a store with dad. Of course I asked him to buy it for me but he didn't :p
    Then, within a month I found this picture on the net (http://www.celebrityrockstarguitars.com/rock/rhoads_files/grpjacrr.jpg), and immediatly fell in love with the RR shape. Do I still lose D:? XD
    Well, ever since then I've never really liked any other shapes, and of course when I first heard about Bodom I looked it up on youtube, watched Downfall and saw yet another beautiful RR in Alexi's hands, so no more different shaped guitars for me anymore. By the way I could only stand clean vocals at the time so I quickly stopped the video, annoyed at how such a horrible thing messed up that excellent melody.

Heh, currently I listen to it again and I can only say it's the most beautiful combination I've ever heard.

Ps.: A couple of months ago I spotted the same King V at the same store, perhaps it was never bought. I asked about its specs and am now glad dad didn't buy it back then :p

10. Leandro

Leandro ¬¬

Kinda, except for the TS-9 (which is old anyways, but in great shape) everything's in mint condition. Nonetheless, I got everything for less than $1000 on ebay :)

It's a warpig. I can't really tell you if I like it or not so far because everything is new so it's difficult to tell what is responsible for each feature of the final sound I hear. And I did buya new rig: I moved and left my crappy cheap equipment back home so I needed some stuff to start over. :)

:lol:

Why, just because I'm not using an OMGAlexi pointy guitar with an insufficient number of (bad) pickups and I'm not scouring the web looking for somebody, anybody selling a crappy overpriced Lee Jackson preamp doesn't mean I have better taste! :loco:

11. Leraios

Leraios New Metal Member

Insufficient to you :p I never really use the neck pickup on my guitar, let alone the middle one, so with an Alexi or RR24 I'd be just fine (actually no, but that's for some other specs). I don't believe I'm the only one though :confused:

Also, nice amp name :lol: I've got a 100-watt amp for home practice I can't use to even a fraction of it's potential...

12. s

s Member

100W amps have to be the best marketing tool for amp sellers to draw in the suckers.

I have a 50W and have never used it to potential and have played live in many venues.

Not many situations warrant 100W, every venue mic.s you up anyway.

inb4 headroom debate.

s

13. snowy

i use a 15 watt amp :danceboy:

14. Leandro

Leandro ¬¬

A 100 W amp is only about 10 dB louder than a 10 W amp anyway, all other things being equal. I just love people's comments like "WOW this amps is only 5 Watts but it's SO LOUD LOL"... it's just as loud as 5 W are expected to be, which is really only ~15 dB quieter than 100 W :p

15. s

s Member

Yep, loudness is measured in dB not Watts.

Difference between 50W and 100W is only 3 dB.

Although a 100W is barely noticeable in loudness over a 50W the issue is when rehearsing or playing trying to turn down for a mix.

I can get a good spread of volume adjustment hardly ever going more than half way, our other guitarist who had a Mesa would set it around 1 and it was either too loud or too soft, he often chose too loud. :rolleyes:

You wonder why so many bands have a bad mix live? A mixer can turn you up without a problem but if your amp is too loud he can't turn the volume down from where he sits.

s

16. snowy

Wow s thanks.. Who would have thought ?!

17. s

s Member

It sounds very obvious but surprisingly time after time some you'll find knob jockeys pumping up their amps too loud at front of stage.

They also don't realise they practice in the rehearsal room a lot louder than what they need on stage so dial in at the same volume or even higher afraid people might miss out on hearing their solos. :rolleyes:

s

18. snowy

Thats why im using a booster for my solos . I guess most people crank up their amp
    at gigs because the sound on the stage is shit and /or they haven't got any monitors (or shitty ones)

19. s

s Member

I've actually seen where the drummer told the sound guy to turn up the guitarist and the dumbass guitarist went over to his amp and turned it up, you just have to trust the sound guy and hope he can do his job.

s

20. TheKid

TheKid OFR

:worship: all of that was gold, verily good sir

Dude when you see my NGD perhaps around the end of this year or the beginning of 2013 you will shit your pants