This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

guitar tone purchase, opinions needed

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by joeymusicguy, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Sacha

Sacha Throbbing Member

Yeah it is a good chunk o change but it depends on your perspective too...for me it brought the end of a long and expensive period of fucking around with huge rack setups and complicated pedalboards for my live rig. It's the only thing that has the ease of use, flexiblity and power and most importantly TOANZ to base a sick rig around, and i've tried almost everything. So to that end it's a been a real fuckin bargain actually! :ill:

2. slashvanyoung

slashvanyoung Dopefish lives!

Said it before and saying it again: if I wouldn't have to shell out cash for an additional power amp, I'd be all over the AxeFX...

3. colonel kurtz

colonel kurtz Member

fuck dude, for the amount of $$ you're talking about, you could get a couple of nice preamps(engl, marshall, etc.) and recabinet, and be fucking set

4. joeymusicguy

joeymusicguy Member

what is recabinent?

5. joeymusicguy

joeymusicguy Member

just checked out some recab stuff, sounds really legit

can anyone confirm??

6. broken81

broken81 Used by Protools

I did not like them personally, they were to dark for my taste but some people have had good results. Kazorg from this forum made the impulses and sells them under Recab.

7. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

I like this impulse I made, and people seem to like these :) (though I prefer the first)

8. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

:Spin:

9. mintcheerios

mintcheerios Member

I don't know if you've tried this, but you could disengage the cabinet simulator on your PodXT Pro and use impulses for some different tones. Also the new 1.05 version of recabinet is brighter sounding.

10. [UEAK]Clowd

[UEAK]Clowd Member

I'm with Joey on this one... micing a cab always has this weird "dirtyness" to it... impulses are so much "cleaner" sounding..

does anyone else know what I'm talking about here?

11. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Hahahahahaha, what does that mean? :lol:

12. JonWormwood

JonWormwood Member

No clue.

I like how organic-y they sound especially on leads.

13. Wild Hades

Wild Hades Clean channels are for pussies

You could give a try to Overloud TH1 too, it has a fully functional 14 days demo.
    There are some updates coming in the next 1.1 version (should be out within next month I think) like a dual impulse response loader and 2 new amps...
    I think it's pretty versatile overall...

14. GarethSE

GarethSE New Metal Member

The Axe FX was used on Cynic - Traced In Air and the guitar tone is mindbogglingly good on that record.
    Bulb also uses it, but that's more typically djenty stuff. None the less, his stuff that's used the Axe Fx so far has sounded pretty much undeniably awesome.

15. JoeJackson

JoeJackson Member

Ah cool, TH1 is out already? Downloadin' :D
    I bet it's not as good as Revalver, but I liked the idea of it...

EDIT: Argh, fuck iLok-protection on demos!!!! :(

16. Ermz

Ermz ¯\(°_o)/¯

Marcus' JSX ones sound the most 'natural' to me, without fail. The Recto ones are voiced in a way I don't personally like, but that doesn't necessarily speak ill of their quality. Just not my thing.

Impulses still have a way to go. If you want to go down the impulse path, Joey, you're better of just mic'ing a real cab, because it'll get you the other 20% of missing tone. Nebula at the moment isn't handling the job too well, so we have no viable alternative for using real cabs at this moment in time.

The Axe-FX fails to really make an impact on me. It constantly creates these new-age, flat, 2 dimensional tones that all the metalcore and djent-lovers seem to dig, but I'm in another camp. I'd sooner grab a Dual Rec head and run it right into impulses.

Personally, I believe the near future lies in the hybrid approach. All the best non-linear aspects of a tube head combined with the realistic cab depiction of convolution modeling. Convolution has a way to go before it can adequately model the cabs, but for the time being it does the job somewhat convincingly. It's the best compromise I've found short of actually mic'ing a real set-up. Though I'll always do the latter if possible.

I think I've maybe been spoiled by the plethora of amazing amps I've had the pleasure to work with over the last few years. I've come out on the other side simply not being able to tolerate the deficiencies of impulses, nor the sound of digital modelers. None of it does anything for me that a well-constructed tube amp running through a great cab would.

If you're digging the Line 6 approach, then maybe stick with them. They certainly make the best emulation product suited for professional productions, IMO. They don't sound the most realistic, nor the most organic, but they have this way of 'sitting' in the mix just right with the appropriate EQ treatment. Beside that, Revalver 3 has some amazing potential, but I've yet to hear it pulled off convincingly in a pro mix. I'd sooner use a real head with impulses there once again!

17. JeffTD

JeffTD Senhor Testiculo

Nope... Cynic was a Krank.

18. Wild Hades

Wild Hades Clean channels are for pussies

Wait wait :lol:, no iLok for the demo, but you need to install the PACE drivers... never had a problem with this protection system, but some guys hate them because it seems to be pretty "invasive"...
    TH1 has been out from November 2008 iirc!

Not as good as Revalver? Try it and decide yourself... personally I've switched from RVMKIII to TH1 and never looked back (I think it has more dynamic, needs less tweaking, has better low-mids, a lot less CPU usage, better Tube Screamer), but this is just personal taste/feeling, I don't want to argue about which sim is better, I don't care...
    Try everything you can and draw your conclusions...

If you're curious to hear it, this is a metal sample I've made some days ago using Keregioz DIs (just TS + 5150 model + GH impulse, don't remember which exactly, maybe "FinalV2!"):
    https://dl.getdropbox.com/u/432451/keregiozTH1Reamp.mp3

19. pifos_2

pifos_2 des scoubidoubidous wha !

http://www.exivious.net/

Tymon posted a thread about this project somewhere. Search a bit. It's AxeFX.

20. Metaltastic

Metaltastic Member

Word - I like what I've heard of the Axe FX, but to me digital will always be a compromise (usually for volume, so you don't have to mic up a cab, but in the case of a preamp I guess for being able to have built in FX), and $1500 is WAY too much green for a compromise IMO.