This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hate the current Facebook

Discussion in 'Bar' started by LeSedna, Aug 17, 2014.

1. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Does it happen to you ?

Yesterday I came across randomly to an EP snippet, an advertisement, on youtube, posted on Facebook. Listened a bit, and thought I would give it a real listen today because it sounded pretty cooler than average to me.

Today, I just can't find it anymore. Nothing is chronological anymore because of the algorithms used in Facebook. You can't go back in time and see exactly what you saw earlier, there are a few more posts that are new to you, and some disappeared. Also, on my own main Facebook feed page (the one you end up if you go to www.facebook.com, not your own profile page) if I go down, I end up cycling through the same posts again and again, like the algorithm decided those are the only posts worth showing up here, and it gets kinda buggy and shows me the same ones again and again, while I want to go further back in time. With the amount of crap people post, my "interesting" post is unreachable because I can't go further than about 12h of "oh look what I am eating today" picture, or "I am on holidays (PS: you are not hihi) and-I-take-pics-of-my-feet-at-the-beach" and other random spams. I already cleaned a lot of this BS but the algorithm is stronger still.

Is there any way to disable this bullshit, is there some behavior that you can disable to simplify this ?

2. He's Dead, Jim

1. Use your browser history?
    2. Select "most recent" instead of "top stories" at the top of your feed. It's on a drop-down menu where your left side navigation bar says "News Feed." Most recent is everything, and top stories is what Facebook thinks are the people most important based on page views/shared content/etc.

3. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

I actually found my link after a long research through random Facebook groups I am not used to check myself ( if you are curious it was this :

1. the problem in this case is in your browser history you will only have "Facebook" or maybe the Facebook page, nothing more. It was just a post
    2. Ah, that's exactly what I was searching for ! I might actually switch it back to this, because the "top stories" setting does tricks like this all the time. It is in a perfect world and in theory better, but it is often frustrating !

#3 LeSedna, Aug 17, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  4. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

Now why would facebook voluntarily phase itself out like this?

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Oh, look there's applebee's let's eat

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

5. He's Dead, Jim

Whoa, this is actually really cool.

6. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Indeed, I am a little bit obsessed with the beginning of it. Perfect balance of metal rhythmic/technicity and interesting melody. I am going to follow this guy !

7. DeclanWhite

DeclanWhite Senior Member

facebook sucks. they're following in myspace's footsteps and trying too hard with new stuff and it ends up being a step backwards and people boycott. REALLY cant wait for the next big social network to come out.. unless zuckerberg etc own too many rights to things and so it cant happen lol

8. SocialNumb

SocialNumb Damn Christians!

I know right? Why can't they just leave that shit alone? It keeps getting bulkier, fuck, stop it!

9. Nimvi

Nimvi Member

This, for pretty much every major site right now.

How about Youtube?

If possible, I hate that development even more. Pretty much everything they have done in the past few years has pissed me the fuck off. The recommendation algorithm is somehow getting worse. I like how it completely ignores that you liked or disliked something or have seen it already. And don't you dare to open a youtube link sent by a friend. Because if you watch 1000 videos about metal and 1 video about cute cats, guess what your recommendations are going to look like...

Of course you can just pause your view history. If you don't want to get new recommendations ever. Or go back to remove every single video that wasn't relevant manually.

I really wish there was a button to remove individual recommendations or just filter certain channels from appearing. Half of my recommendations haven't changed in months, but they are of things I don't want to see, so clicking them would just make things worse.
    But even if there was that option, it probably wouldn't work. I've tried to stop youtube from recommending me certain channels over and over, but they just keep popping up the next time I visit.

Then there are the settings and options that constantly keep moving into different menus, or disappearing completely for no apparent reason. Or your settings for google+ somehow mess with your youtube preferences (I still don't get why those two needed to be connected). When I released an album in februari and put it up on youtube, I told quite a few customers to pm me for payment details. About a month ago i found out that there was some setting enabled by default which made it impossible for people to PM me on youtube if they weren't in my google+ circles or something like that. I bet I lost more than a few sales over that.

As far as I can tell, they also completely removed the option to send your subscribers a message.

I could go on, but I'm starting to get angry again, so I'll just leave it at that.

10. SocialNumb

You're so right. It's crazy to me that they start off so simple, a working site without a bunch of pointless bells and whistles. Clear to the point, functional and then someone over at Google decides it's not good enough as it is and removes shit that actually works and adds shit you don't need till it's a confusing over bloated monster you hardly want to visit again. It just makes no damn sense.

At least Google search has gotten better, except for their continued attempt to force you to use Goggle+ and the annoying ever increasing attempt of buying the whole internet and integrating all their services together under the Google banner.

Oh and the data collection and tracking is getting crazy too. Fucking Google knows more about me than I do at this point. Facebook added data to my account I never gave them. Fuck, sometimes it "likes" shit for me and one time it insisted that I went to a certain college I've never heard of. Had to remove that 4 times. One time a friend messages me and asked me if I really like Avril Lavigne, I told him I think she's hot but why? Apparently facebook decided I did and added it to music likes.

And NO! I don't want to play your stupid fucking games! They try and snag you into giving them money to continue to play. Fuck that sneaky shit, should of been upfront about it.

11. DeclanWhite

DeclanWhite Senior Member

hmm I think there's something wrong when I listen to a song on my computer, and then facebook starts advertising that artist lol

12. Nimvi

Nimvi Member

Weird, mine always advertises naked women ;)

13. SocialNumb

Ad block plus for the win.

14. LeSedna

LeSedna Mat or Mateo

Is it true the latest CGUs for Facebook messenger on mobile allows them to get information from your phone they aren't supposed to ? Or is it a hoax ?

I agree with comments about youtube. The worst part was when they merged google+ (which by the way, no one uses) and, since then, started trying to force me to use my actual name instead of my youtube log in (because I log in with my gmail account so they have my name...).

Ad block does not block the information giving unfortunately, it is just comestic.

It's not so far fetched now to imagine insurance companies looking at all this information.

15. crillemannen

crillemannen Member

Yeah i agree!

The problem is that they are trying to improve something that is already perfect to begin with. There for sure gonna kill FB and YT as they did with myspace which was so awesome back in the days!

16. Christian WUFU

I don't know if they've done this elsewhere too, but YouTube has started putting up physical ads for channels all over public transportation here in Chicago. All these media sources are taking things too far :puke:

17. sprack

sprack Thread Killer

It's a hoax. Tinfoil hat response.

18. Skaldir

Skaldir formerly known as Unicorn

Lol, but yeah.

That Youtube Google+ connection really sucked and took away all the fun from youtube.
    And I hate personalized ads. Terrible with tablets or smartphones. I feel the normal computer or laptop is the only chance to aviod a lot of the crap.

The developers think everything must change all the time and be "better" and more modern, but I think a lot of people would like it when stuff stays the way it is. Maybe we would still have Myspace for bands when they didn't have made it "better".

edit: Another thing that bugs the hell out of me is when apps or programs force you to update. The new Skype app is so terrible that after I was forced to update it on my tablet I deinstalled it. Use it only on the laptop now. The app has a horrible design that makes you lose all the functionality.

19. He's Dead, Jim

alright, this thread cannot continued without posting this

#19 He's Dead, Jim, Aug 21, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2015
  20. Genius Gone Insane

Genius Gone Insane http://www.¯\(°_o)/¯.com

Oh it makes perfect fucken sense when you put it together that executives from all these companies came from a certain university centrally located next to nasa, all the major satellite builders, and basically 90% of today's technology "innovation", not to mention being home to a watchdog organization with enough power to singlehandedly sway proposition 37 (the labeling of genetically modified foods in California) from certain victory into a last minute defeat (like a 20% sway in 2 weeks, still makes me shudder), as well as hosting Russia-USA spy exchanges, and claims to turn a bunch of nerds into a top ten college football team by using a special exercise glove.

And that is ALL 100% accurate.

baaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

PS I just wrote my congressman to support House Resolution 428 bitches, you should too

PPS It's happening bitches