This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Helloween- Unarmed-25th anniverary album

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by Savage Pumpkin, Dec 7, 2009.

1. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Live is one thing.
    I would like to hear how Andi fairs recording these songs.

As I said, it might breathe new life into these classics.

Sure, the live versions are good, but they really don't offer any experimentation in approach.

What they are doing now is just a bit TOO off the wall.

2. Daybreaker

Daybreaker Red, Hot, and Heavy

I think the cover art is one of the coolest ones they've had in years. They finally got someone to do CG crap right. I would sport a shirt of that artwork any day over Rabbit, or the 1997 CG of Keeper III.

And I like the new Future World. But man, I'm still kinda hesitant about this release other than those two highlights.

3. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

Excuse me? Are you arguing with me? Didn't I just tell you that my opinion is the only one that matters?

Quote from "The Office": "So suck it. Hey everybody, I just invited Jim to suck it."

4. Jasonic

Jasonic Doom On!

Well, you know what they say!
    Opinions are like assholes..............

Everyone has one and they both stink!
    (Except mine)

5. booB

booB Señor Member

LOL!!! Thanks Claus!

6. musicsnob

musicsnob Cock of Knowledge

I'm with boB on this one. Looks interesting. Strange that a group of people who purport to like "progressive" music freak out when a band actually tries something genre-busting.

7. No-Mercy

No-Mercy Feanor

i actually really like some of this, especially some of the vocal changes. ill be buying a few songs.

i dont think anybody should stop being a fan. they have created some great music throughout their career...they are just doing what they love. so they put a different spin on it to try it out.

if they enjoy what they are doing and it makes them feel good, which is what music is ultimately about, i say good for them.

8. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks www.fools-game.com

Well Kiske was the third best singer Helloween ever had, so having Deris redo his stuff is great!

I agree with you 100%... and I do think the BJ's fanbase shit on them a lot for TLFR, but maybe not as much as this :)

9. dcowboys311

dcowboys311 Member

Reminds me of [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1Zmkevry5g&feature=player_embedded[/ame]

10. Matt Crooks

Matt Crooks www.fools-game.com

Haha! I thought of this:

#70 Matt Crooks, Dec 29, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 19, 2015
  11. ratanda

ratanda Member

Haha That was pretty clever!

12. DAVETHEMETALGUY

crap! that sucks

13. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

I fully endorse this. Like many have been saying, if this simply was a second disc in a special edition of a new album of theirs, it wouldn't be a problem but by just releasing this as a full release, as you say it will lose casual fans and possibly others who are dumb and think they're going the "Chameleon" route again.

I've never fully been a fan of a band re-recording material, but this probably would've been a better idea to just do new versions with the members with their typical sound to introduce to newer fans. Possibly, it might have been a better idea to have this a 2 disc, where one disc is straight up more modern sounding versions and the latter be what this collection is ultimately going to be, having some fun with their material.

14. The Colorado Kid

The only real Helloween was Keepers 1 and 2. Everything else sucks monkey balls.

15. nomisofsiman

nomisofsiman Member

In other words, you're a Kiske/Hansen exclusive fan then. I think the only ones that suck are Pink Bubbles Go Ape, Chameleon, Rabbit Don't Come Easy and depending on your point of view, Metal Jukebox (though I take it for what it is as most of that album is an intentional joke). To each his own I guess. Personally, I think Deris is a more talented singer due to his variety whereas while I like Kiske's, he pretty much can go high and that's about it.

16. MYSTIC1

MYSTIC1 Member

UUGGHHH!!!!! I just listened to a few tracks on Youtube. This is an abomination if there ever was one. I've been a huge fan of theirs since WOJ and I still am to this day. I can appreciate their sense of humor except for Chameleon and Pink Bubbles. I agree with many others in that, if they wanna have fun like this then save it for a bonus track, DVD outtakes, etc. Don't release it as an entire album. I know that many people have thought of these guys as a joke before but now after hearing these tracks I'm sure that there will be even more haters. However, I am a true fan of the band and even I can look past this. Start working on your next album guys!!!

17. Claus / Intromental

Claus / Intromental 20 years of uniting the powers of metal

What "humoristic" parts did you find in Chameleon? That album is a very thought-out disc in my opinion, and besides a song like "Crazy Cat" I don't think there's much fun to that disc. Brilliant album btw.

18. MYSTIC1

MYSTIC1 Member

IDK, Maybe I just thought it sucked so bad that you'd need to have a sense of humor to appreciate it............... If you liked it, I can respect that too.

19. Sumeet

Sumeet Member

Interesting. Though I am a long-time Helloween fan, I haven't been keeping up with the music scene the last couple years as closely as I used to, and I had no idea whatsoever about the recording or release of this album, until I saw a message about it yesterday on another board, then here. So I didn't come into it with any expectations at all. I quickly determined however, simply by looking at the tracklist, that it was re-recorded versions of previous songs... so I immediately put it in the "non studio album" category. Given this, I actually found some of the wacky interpretations of these classic metal songs to be pretty entertaining. I think boB definitely hit upon something when he suggested that a lot of people had a lot of expectations built up that these were going to be some sort of Gamma Ray Blast From The Past type re-recordings, and then when they finally heard it, it was so jarringly different from what was expected that it created a massive "WTF!?" scenario for some. Now, I'm not saying everyone who thought "WTF!?" would have otherwise automatically liked these goofy reworkings, mind you, just that the reactions would have been less vociferous than they seem to be in this thread. It's also interesting that several people are apparently going to buy it even though they don't like it, just because it's Helloween, whereas I'm not going to buy it, even though I actually kinda enjoy it. Heh. Either way, I think everyone understands that this is just a compilation of re-recordings... it's not a harbinger of a long-term style shift towards jazzy pop, and it's not the actual followup to Gambling With The Devil... and it's probably safe to assume their next actual studio album will indeed be a metal album.

20. adaher

adaher Member

I've heard two whole songs now(Future World and the Keeper Trilogy) and I think this actually rules. It's not an unplugged album, nor is it a metal album. It's just a bunch of really, really eccentric arrangements of classic Helloween songs. And it's awesome, and not just as a novelty.

I don't expect that all, or even most Helloween fans will agree, but a co-worker listening as I was listening thought it was really awesome. A lot of metal bands write really great songs but people who aren't accustomed to the heaviness don't hear that, it's all a wall of sound to them. This album really brings out how good Helloween's songwriting is in a way that non-metal fans can enjoy.