This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

help me make this mix not suck thanks

Discussion in 'Practice Room' started by CatharsisStudios, Aug 11, 2015.

1. CatharsisStudios

CatharsisStudios trcksngsrpbngs

2. Heabow

Heabow More cowbell!

I'm listening on my laptop so I wont be a big help here but I think the drums would benefit from a little bit more room. The kick seems to bit too much peaky for the style. You could also sidechain your vocalverb to the main vocals. Its clouds a bit the vocals. May be wrong here tho ;) The song is cool.

3. MartijnPaauwe

MartijnPaauwe Member

Sounds pretty good!

Do have a couple of things that stood out though ;

- The drums could definitely benefit with some more room/reverb, they sound a bit dry
    - After the intro bit around 0:12 there suddenly kicks in an extra snare sample which sounds too loud and artificial, the snare sounded better without it in my opinion
    - My monitors don't really help with that part, but the bassguitar sounds really boomy and loud. A bit more presence would definitely be beneficial as well.
    - It could be preference, but I think the guitars could lose a smudge of 4k'ish to open up the vocals a bit more

Hope that helps! The rest sounds absolutely stellar :)

4. Habsburgs

Habsburgs Member

Nice saosin vibe. Loving the snare but it could use more room.

5. P-E

P-E Munchkin

Cool mix.

I'd get the vocals just a touch louder and shinier - think kinda pop music shiny (multiband comp and a thicker reverb could help... maybe playing around with Valhalla VintageVerb could lead to good results).

The guitars also sound a bit thin, I'd experiment on the mids all around on them with broad eq boosts or cuts. As Martijn said, maybe cutting a bit around 4k could help the vocals shine through more and make the guitars sound a bit less thin at the same time.

I'd finally get a bit more drum room in the mix (or drum verb if the room sounds small) like everyone else said.