This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Holiday gift time

Discussion in 'Backline' started by doc_backmask, Nov 13, 2007.

1. doc_backmask

doc_backmask Member

My mom just asked what I would like for gifts. I decided I'd like a little upgrade to the studio in addition to some other stuff.

Has anyone had any experience with the MXL mics? I was looking and found some good package deals with the 990 and the 3000. I would like to add a condenser vocal mic to the collection. I already know about the SM57/58 debate, I just want some feedback on other options.

Cheers,
    Richard

Edit: Oh yeah, I'd like to keep the budget under or around $150-200 so I can also give her ideas of other non-music related stuff.

2. Fredrik-Ablaze

I'm using two 990 for overheads and I know atleast one more guy here likes using it for guitars (can't remember who though)

3. AStacy2

AStacy2 Member

I think they're okay, not the best mic out there but it's not the most expensive either. I actually have an unopened set of 992/993 I think in a case that'd I'd sell for cheap if you're interested.

4. doc_backmask

doc_backmask Member

Where are you shipping from? And how much? If I don't end up getting any mics for bday or christmas, I may still need some.

5. Loren Littlejohn

Loren Littlejohn Lover of all boobage.

I know that set can be had for like $70 on the bay if your looking at the right time. Alot of people say the mogami V69 is a good one. I had a 909 and loathed it. The V69 is out of your price range but you may be able to score it used for the price range you posted.

6. colonel kurtz

colonel kurtz Member

what kind of gear are you rocking so far??

7. doc_backmask

doc_backmask Member

Mics for recording = none. The 57 is one I want to get myself, but I don't anticipate micing up a cabinet any time soon, so I was mostly looking at vocal condensers.

8. colonel kurtz

colonel kurtz Member

maybe check out the AT 3035?

they're pretty decent vocal mics for the price, and i know for a fact that they can sound good on guitar cabs...when i went to the SOTU tour in august, many of the bands, including suicidal tendencies, had the 3035 on their cabs

9. R-Stuur

R-Stuur Member

If you really are a poor as fuck get the MCA SP1s they sell for $39. Theyre discontinued and have classic Shoeps circuit. Amazing microphone for any price, dont be fooled by its price! I have two of them and they came shipped in plastic like batteries or cheap electronics :lol:

10. Glenn Fricker

Glenn Fricker Very Metal &Very Bad News

MCA? what company is this? Link?

11. Obscura

Obscura Member

I just bought 6 of those MCA SP-1 mics after using them as overheads in the studio. We had our choice of quality OH mics and the SP-1's sounded fantastic. The only place I know to get them is at www.pssl.com and they have a limited supply. Our engineer was stunned at the quality after reading a nice write up in Tape Op magazine and told me to buy as many as I can afford.

12. SymbolicSV

SymbolicSV Member

http://www.mcamics.com i have one too, cheap and good, i could describe the sound like a "super Dynamic" kind of sound, at least thats my impression.

13. R-Stuur

R-Stuur Member

14. theBlackLOBSTERmurder

my 2 cents: forget the mxl. I think it sux. has too much high hiss. Last year I bought an ADK-A51 from USA, I can`t remember, like 100 bucks~..., awesome mic!! 100 times as good as the mxl. (I`ve searched the mic in this forum and nobody seems to be using it!? I can`t understand why! It`s a great vocal mic)