This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hooking up a microphone to a guitar amplifier

Discussion in 'Musicians Discussion' started by Vimana, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Vimana

Vimana Member

Is it possible? If so how?

2. LithiumLulu

LithiumLulu Member

Well....

It depends on your mic and cable.

If you have a dynamic mic it could have a guitar-like plug at the end of the cable, in which case you could just plug it in. If it has an XLR plug you could look for an adapter, or you could get a new cable.

If you have a condenser mic you pretty much can't because you need the XLR cable to get the phantom power to the mic.

However, I wouldn't plug a mic into a guitar amp. Plug your guitar into your amp and then scream into the pickup. If you have the amp up loud enough you should be able to faintly hear your scream. The amp is made to deal with the output of guitar pickups, not microphones which are essentially voice pickups. I don't know all the technical stuff about impedance and such, but I've always heard it's not a good idea. If you're just messing around with low volumes it probably won't hurt anything, but I wouldn't consider it a performance solution.

3. Prophet Ov Isa

Prophet Ov Isa I got slayed by Behemoth

There are special plug-ins that you can get that let you hook up the mic but there's a jack at the end so you can hook it up to an amp.