This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

Hours of Wealth: Depressing or Uplifting?

Discussion in 'Opeth (Archived)' started by Slunk, Aug 16, 2009.

?

Hours of Wealth: Depressing or Uplifting

1. Depressing

13 vote(s)
    31.0%
  2. Uplifting

29 vote(s)
    69.0%
  1. Kamel

Kamel Trollhunter

He's in the purgatory.

so its depressing

2. Detective Clarence Beauregard

I think it is both. It depends on the section of the song. For example, I find the first part of the intro to be depressing, but the second part (starting at 1:02) uplifting. I suck at analyzing lyrics, but the overall vibe I get is one of "hibernation" or "rebuilding." In the solo, I hear bursts of life amongst depression. Also, and perhaps this is just me, but it seems that most depressing songs fade out, or at least end on the tonal center of the song. This song does neither.

3. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Ummm... is he really a ghost? I don't think so.

4. isolation_years

i voted uplifting because that is the end result for me, although i find it to be both. it is an incredibly sad song (the solo breaks my heart, it's like he's too dreary to even play it), but when your done listening to it, you'll feel better about whatevers bothering you, it's a great release i find

5. Iki-ilkkuja

Iki-ilkkuja Member

It's about recovering from swineflu, just like To rid the disease is.

6. Antyman

Antyman En Ful Jävel

^ no, to rid the disease is about abortion, just like someone honestly thought in a thread about it :lol:

ah good times.

btw the lyrics are really depressing to me. that's how I first took them when reading them, and that is what I'll stick to.

7. Kamel

Kamel Trollhunter

or he's a martian that lives down in a cave cause nobody noticed him when he was in the surface mixed up among the humans

8. fps

fps Member

really, really uplifting

9. Craysh3

Craysh3 Bathrobed Architect

This is why opeth should've stuck to writing Black Metal in my opinion. That whole ghost reveries album was questionable material, as far as I'm concerned... I'll stick to my stern and successful daily regime of orchid/morningrise/MAYH.

10. Fields Of Sorrow

Yeah boo lyrics that make sense!

11. fps

fps Member

black metal with a folk influence sums up their very best material for me, the dissonance and harmony, the melancholy, the intricate acousticry and heavy fretwork. it was as if electric guitars had existed in the epic realms of the old storytelling tradition. i am not digging opeth with keyboards except for damnation.

12. Lateralus14

Lateralus14 New Metal Member

lawl @ opeth ever being black metallish, tho a little less lawl than @ teh jazz infl00ences

13. fps

fps Member

wow you have disparaging opinions about what others think about genres, i now think you're cool and respect you.

14. Lateralus14

Oh sorry, I mean I normally accept whatever people say at all times.

Personally Opeth is my favorite nu-metal band what with their diverse emo and cock rock influences, but sometimes I prefer Porcupine Tree for their excellent mix of funeral doom metal and hip hop.

Better?

15. fps

fps Member

funnier, so yeah, i'd say better. anyway, what opeth did especially on the early albums has passed into part of my definition of black metal. these categories in metal are very loosely defined anyway. and it's nothing like saying opeth's music is jazzy, which i also think is flat out stupid.

incidentally, your definition of porcupine tree sounds brilliant, someone should try it.

16. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

I'd rather call it "old melodic death metal" instead of black metal. You could also add the word "swedish" right before to make it more accurate. They weren't very prog at the time and sounded like Dark Tranquillity and In Flames.

One thing is sure, Orchid, Morningrise and My Arms, Your Hearse, in the context in which they were written and how the sound was at the epoch, is absolutely not black metal. Go check out black metal from the 90' and figure it out yourself.

17. Lateralus14

I just see nothing related to black metal in the musical style except in the bad production and the lyrics about grim forests.

18. Nasty-Fire

Nasty-Fire Discursion

Higher-pitched voice also. And again the production was excellent in comparison to most black metal.

19. fps

fps Member

nothing? i mean, at its basic level it's a band of bass, guitars, drums and a high-pitched shrieking vocalist playing metal riffs that don't rely on low-end chugging. that puts it in the ballpark.

melodic and swedish are indeed other good words to describe it. but it'll be a cold day in hell before i start cataloguing what is essentially guys riffing out and screaming into carefully academically laid out lists of cds so i can rip on people on the internet. that kind of detail in these kinds of musical back alleys is only good for arguing with people on the internet, and right now i have friends to meet and greet so there's no time. bye.

20. isolation_years

:lol: im sure it has black metal influances, but they most certainly have never been writing Black Metal

you should do your research...or listen to any black metal album (and i mean a real one, like nasty fire said)

listen to sardonic wrath -darkthrone and deathcrush - mayhem