This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How do you use one shot snares?

Discussion in 'F.O.H.' started by EmilDelaRosa, Aug 7, 2013.

1. EmilDelaRosa

EmilDelaRosa New Metal Member

Recently I've been reading a lot of articles and seeing that there's a lot of engineers who incorporate one shots with their drum sound. See I've never tried blending samples before. I either commit to the source drum sound or replace it completely with a different sample.

Here's some of my questions:
    1. Do I just duplicate the track and trigger the dup with a one shot sample, and then blend to taste with levels?
    2. Should I match the tuning as well?
    3. How do I make sure that it doesn't fuck up my drum mix?

Please let me know if there's something else that I should be aware of. Thanks!

2. Torniojaws

Torniojaws They call me Juha

When I do it, I usually mix by around 50/50 % with the dry and wet signals. The exact percentage depends on the two sounds, but usually around 50 %.
    Nothing else (re-pitching or such).

Judging from your question #1, usually the trigger software has a blend adjustment. You don't need to duplicate tracks yourself.

3. DeclanWhite

DeclanWhite Senior Member

Ive made a shortcut in reaper so that i 'copy' a one shot, then when i press the shortcut key it pastes the sample at the next transient on the track below the selected one. I find this a great way of making the phase very accurate. generally ill have it like 20% one shot, 80% other (multi sample/real snare) sometimes if it doesnt sound right, i have to flip the phase then it's all sweet!

4. ArthurD

ArthurD Member

50/50 max.
    I also use just the one shot on reverbs.

5. mva801

mva801 Member

I usually blend in about 30% or so for a one shot. Depends on each project really. Been using Massey DRT or Trigger. Trigger has a tuning function if you need to adjust it, but I feel like most people just choose one that works with the overall sound, as opposed to freaking out trying to tune it all together. It can be a great idea to get the reverb from just the one shot, as it will be very consistent and not contain any bleed.

6. botus99

botus99 Microphone Assassin

That's how I do it. Not sure why, but I just don't trust the blend knob in regards to phase coherence. Most times I print the sample track and make sure that each snare hit is phase accurate.

Not necessarily, but I usually do one of 2 things. Sometimes I match the tuning, sometimes I match the tuning but 1 octave higher/lower to emphasize crack/snap/weight/depth/etc. It really doesn't matter, as long as it sounds good :)

Ummmm listen? There's several problems that can arise from sample augmentation/replacement, just make sure you're triggering the notes you want and aren't triggering the ones you don't. After that, check your phase. After that... you should be fine

7. bryan_kilco

bryan_kilco Member

Any benefits to actually duplicating a track to trigger off of compared to just sending your track to a bus where it gets triggered?

I just send snare top to a blank track that has Trigger or whatever on it. I can't see the snare hits on that track unless I print, but it seems to work fine.

8. mva801

mva801 Member

No difference really. I usually just copy it so that I can edit the original track if needed to alter the triggering behavior. Actually what I usually do is make a tick track from Massey DRT and trigger from that, but any of those methods work