This site is supported by the advertisements on it, please disable your AdBlocker so we can continue to provide you with the quality content you expect.

Welcome to Our Community

Wanting to join the rest of our members? Feel free to sign up today.

How many releases do you buy a year?

Discussion in 'ProgPower USA' started by General Zod, Jul 22, 2014.

?

How many releases do you buy a year?

1. 0 - 25

25 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. 25 - 50

24 vote(s)
    32.9%
  3. 50 - 100

15 vote(s)
    20.5%
  4. More than 100

9 vote(s)
    12.3%
  1. General Zod

General Zod Ruler of Australia

Regardless of whether it's CDs, MP3s or vinyl. Just curious.

2. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

50-100 across all formats.

3. Mardoch

Mardoch Defender of the Universe

I said 25-50, but apparently that's a lie, as I've got 55 2013 entries in my catalog, and 20 2014s already (with 8 in the mail right now and the annual PPUSA pillaging not come and past yet).

Guess I mis-voted!

4. orcslayr23

orcslayr23 Member

I'd say 25-50. On average I buy about one CD per paycheck, and I get paid bi-weekly.

5. AeonicSlumber

About 25-30 almost exclusively digitally via iTunes, but about 5-10 of those are CDs or vinyl.

6. General Zod

For me it's right around 50, give or take a few. Last year I finally made the switch and went completely digital.

7. Metal66

Metal66 Member

8. Rezz

Rezz Member

Just a few years ago I would've been over 100 (well over), but the last few years I've really slowed down - probably in the 25-50 range. Heck, I've returned from Progpower with close to 50 new discs a few times.

9. Random Axe

Random Axe Common Sense Man!

Well, I'm a prog lightweight in comparison. I average around 15-20 per year, often less. Recently in the last two years I've increased based on me coming out of my burnout and with my newfound willingness to purchase mp3. Before I buy most anything from any band I sample from youtube, amazon, bandcamp or wherever. I've made waaaaay too many horrible purchases in the past based on nothing but speculation, descriptions and recommendations. I'm at the halfway point this year and I think I've bought maybe 12 or so.

10. Riceloft

Riceloft Member

I purchase less than 25 per year. Nearly all based on who is playing ppusa and recommendations here and at the Portnoy forum. I sample nearly every purchase as well so I don't end up with much crap.

11. Palabra de Dios

Palabra de Dios Heavy Metal Weatherman

The fact that I visit at least two festivals a year, many shows, and constantly shop online and in stores for new and used CDs and vinyl, I had to be honest and put my number at somewhere at more than 100 a year. I hardly ever download music. I stream quite a bit on Spotify, Youtube, Grooveshark, etc., but I usually buy a hard copy of something I like.

12. SF Metal Man

SF Metal Man Member

I probably purchase between 35-60 a year, and of those about 15-16 are new releases. For the purposes of this poll, I'm voting 25-50. I ALWAYS buy a physical copy. Besides this, I probably receive for review another 10 as a download, but if I like them I buy a physical copy anyway.

13. Justin G

Justin G Member

100+, all physical.

14. rjrousseau

rjrousseau Member

Just curious, since you went completely digital are just as satisfied with the purchase without the artwork and liner notes? I am having a hard time switching myself.

15. Primal

Primal Motley

Probably 400-500, maybe more. Most of them Japanese CD releases, boxsets, limited editions. I have an addiction!!

16. Rezz

Rezz Member

From my DB:
    2000 - 228
    2001 - 220
    2002 - 217
    2003 - 223
    2004 - 250
    2005 - 212
    2006 - 217
    2007 - 195
    2008 - 158
    2009 - 119
    2010 - 138
    2011 - 86
    2012 - 77
    2013 - 47
    2014 - 14

Obviously not every disc was purchased in the year it was released - the latest Orden Ogan (2012) and DGM (2013) discs just came in the mail last week - but I'm definitely trending down.

17. jem777az

jem777az Bozzman

Somewhere between 50-100. I converted to all digital as well, but I still will buy some CDs if I can't find them digitally or if the price is better. Once I rip them to digital I wind up selling the physical copies anyways. I do miss the liner notes and artwork that comes with the physical copy though.

18. Urban breed

Urban breed Member

You do realize that you aren't actually allowed to keep your ripped copies then, right?

19. General Zod

I think the value of liner notes is largely overstated, especially given the digital age in which we live. Anything I want to know about an album or artist can easily be found online, and typically in a superior format. Take lyrics for example. I can't tell you how many times I found the lyrics in the liner notes to be practically illegible, either because of the quality of the print or the size of the font (or both). Now if I want to know the lyrics of a song, I simply go to DarkLyrics.com.

Plus, for me, it got to the point that I never actually played the physical CD. I have over 500 albums stored on my phone (as well as a paid subscription to Spotify). So that takes care of listening in the car, work and the gym. And I have my entire music collection ripped to my PC, which allows me to stream to my stereo at home.

20. TychoCelchu

TychoCelchu Member

This. I like it when a booklet has lyrics typed in a straightforward, easily readable font. I'm disappointed when a booklet is overdesigned or has different art elements crashing into each other. And I'm really tired of the "scribble" style of lyrics (where it's made to look like someone was hastily writing them with a pen, you know what I mean). Gives me a headache trying to read them. Most of the time, the Lyrics page of a band website is more helpful to me.